LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Post Week 4 Winners and Losers Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by xcfan:
in our scheme, winston is our 3rd best rb; and it's not close.

Based on what? Because he ran over some 3rd and 4th strings scrubs? Yes, he did well and I agree that he has good potential, better than Hampton anyways, but once more, try to keep it grounded in reality. He had a good run performing late in preseason games and in a sane world would be an ideal candidate for the practice squad.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Assuming that seasoning is with the 49ers and not with a team like Atlanta or the Giants.

Rightly said!

But I think there's too much tape on him
to take a chance on waivers.
Originally posted by jabberwocky:
Rightly said!

True, but that still might not be enough to keep him, particularly if the 49ers decide to keep Alfonso Smith instead. Smith isn't anything special but he's a steady veteran, an experienced special teams contributor and a dependable blocker, all of those factors could very well earn him a roster spot.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Really liked Glenn Winston again.

Aside from being tackled for loss (not his fault...A Cleveland messed up the block),
he ran with true power and determination.

His signature run today:

10:55 left in the 4th quarter (2-and-2)

He runs into a pile at the LOS and pushes them back 4 yards.
I don't care if its against scrubs...you're talking about 300 lb bodies.

With a little more seasoning and training, he should be able to form
a true power combo with Hyde, for really kicking the bejesus out of defenses.

Totally this !!
Originally posted by defenderDX:
If we cut JJ AGAIN I will be SHOCKED

I thought he should have made the team back in 2012. Clearly outplayed Tolzien at the time imo.

I just don't feel like he ever got a legit opportunity to compete for the #2 job. Was the #3 guy every pre-season game and in practice. Maybe his performance was enough to supplant Gabbert, even though he was playing deep into the 2nd half against guys we may never see in uniform again.

I expect him to get cut, but you never know. We'll see what the X-Ray on Gabbert's shoulder shows tomorrow.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I thought he should have made the team back in 2012. Clearly outplayed Tolzien at the time imo.

I just don't feel like he ever got a legit opportunity to compete for the #2 job. Was the #3 guy every pre-season game and in practice. Maybe his performance was enough to supplant Gabbert, even though he was playing deep into the 2nd half against guys we may never see in uniform again.

I expect him to get cut, but you never know. We'll see what the X-Ray on Gabbert's shoulder shows tomorrow.

I think there's some teams that would give Johnson a look. s**t he could probably start for Houston.
Based on what? Because he ran over some 3rd and 4th strings scrubs? Yes, he did well and I agree that he has good potential, better than Hampton anyways, but once more, try to keep it grounded in reality. He had a good run performing late in preseason games and in a sane world would be an ideal candidate for the practice squad.

In the ideal world we wouldn't have guys taken from our PS every year. The coaches/baalke probably don't think it's a good enough reason to put guys like Acker and Winston on the roster but some of us fans do. What does it hurt to go say Gore, Hyde, James/Smith, Winston (4 rb, 1fb) if we keep 1 less QB or 1 less WR? Especially QB, Lloyd can help us more than Winston but a #3 QB can't. Then depending on how James/Smith or Winston are doing cut one of them when Lattimore gets back.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

to my eyes, there's a physicality to his play that says nfl player. he's a punisher; there's some rathman and floyd to his game, along with gore-like torque when engaged. get him some experience and he can play FB/RB. the safe pick (johnson) is the wrong pick here.
Rightly said!

True, but that still might not be enough to keep him, particularly if the 49ers decide to keep Alfonso Smith instead. Smith isn't anything special but he's a steady veteran, an experienced special teams contributor and a dependable blocker, all of those factors could very well earn him a roster spot.

Agree, I could see that happening. The 4th RB spot was a ST / extra blocker role when Boobie Dixon was here. Smith might fill that role.

But if we are going to keep 4 RBs, I would consider keeping Winston over Smith. It depends on the strength of the rest of our ST unit. If we're good there, I could see starting the year with Winston on the 53, and then when we need to clear roster spots for players returning from injury, we can cut him and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. Might be more likely he clears waivers mid-season, when everyone's rosters are already set.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
In the ideal world we wouldn't have guys taken from our PS every year. The coaches/baalke probably don't think it's a good enough reason to put guys like Acker and Winston on the roster but some of us fans do. What does it hurt to go say Gore, Hyde, James/Smith, Winston (4 rb, 1fb) if we keep 1 less QB or 1 less WR? Especially QB, Lloyd can help us more than Winston but a #3 QB can't. Then depending on how James/Smith or Winston are doing cut one of them when Lattimore gets back.

Like I've said before, there should be two or three "exclusive developmental" PS player spots that prevent teams from raiding your practice squad for up to a year. So teams can pick a few prospects that they want to invest in, that aren't ready to contribute immediately but have long term potential and wouldn't use up a roster spot while they are learning and improving.

Agree, I could see that happening. The 4th RB spot was a ST / extra blocker role when Boobie Dixon was here. Smith might fill that role.

But if we are going to keep 4 RBs, I would consider keeping Winston over Smith. It depends on the strength of the rest of our ST unit. If we're good there, I could see starting the year with Winston on the 53, and then when we need to clear roster spots for players returning from injury, we can cut him and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. Might be more likely he clears waivers mid-season, when everyone's rosters are already set.

You have no disagreement from me. I'll always opt for potential over the safe choice. Winston has certainly been impressive, even if its been a small body of work but I'd like to see him get a shot to show that he belongs and can hang.
I think there's some teams that would give Johnson a look. s**t he could probably start for Houston.

lol you're probably right about that. He was the backup in Cincy last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up somewhere.
If we cut JJ AGAIN I will be SHOCKED

Nah, that's f**king b******t if he gets cut again. He deserves a spot on the team.
Nah, that's f**king b******t if he gets cut again. He deserves a spot on the team.

Like others have said, I don't see the 49ers holding on to 3 QB's. Unless Gabbert goes on PUP or IR, I see Johnson receiving yet another ticket out of town.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM ]
Amnesty Gabbert
Share 49ersWebzone