There are 204 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Week 4 Winners and Losers Thread

Winners:
Joe Looney - Starting RG until Boone gets back. Who knows if we re-sign Boone maybe he goes to LG after this year and Looney/Thomas start at RG.

Jonathan Martin - Probably secured a spot as 3rd T/backup G

Bruce Ellington - His play might make Lloyd expendable but he also should have locked up #1 PR/KR

Kassim Osgood - Should get a spot due to ST. He certainly deserves it over Ventrone, Dahl and even Spillman.

Chris Borland - He is the long term future #3 for sure but not sure he passed Wilhoite yet.

Chris Cook - I thought he would turn his career around here if we used him right and so far he has. If we can keep him at the LOS and playing physical (and not 10 yards off) he should be a solid CB for us. He struggles with deep balls and tracking them so counter that by making him play the slot and play physical at the LOS.

Edit: Forgot Glenn Winston - The guy runs hard and he makes good cuts. Even if he doesn't make this team he increased his chances of being on another team even if it's the CFL. I wish we would have gave him some reps in game 1 and 2 or at least gave him reps against the #2s and 3s in the last 2 games. We probably waited too long to put him in to see if he could do anything against NFL #1s. Personally, I hope he makes the roster at least until Lattimore gets back. Maybe give him some runs in a blowout if there is one to see what he has against #1's before we put him on the PS an potentially lose him.

Losers:
LaMichael James - I think he fell from #1 KR/PR this year to #3 after Ellington and Cox if he makes the team. His running has been not much better. He goes down too easy, he looks more like a small WR. He could very well get cut in favor of Smith and/or Winston.

Carter Bykowski - Mercilus is a tough draw but I don't think he will make it over Martin as 3rd T. Martin can also play guard.

Adam Snyder - To me we have the same player in Seymour who can play C/G/T and do it for 1/3 of the price and is 8 years younger. Experience is his best shot at making the roster.

Winsers (Both A Winner & A Loser):
Chase Thomas, Alfonso Smith, Asante Cleveland, Kyle Nelson, Lance Lewis all upped their stock in getting signed elswhere but it might be too little too late for these guys for this team. Smith probably has the best shot at this team.

Gabbert/Johnson - Gabbert has accuracy issues and Johnson has a turnover a game but both threw a TD(s). They have played so up and down they might have both bought a roster spot due to us not being able to trust either.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM ]
Good post and I agree with everything except Blabbert and Johnson both making the team.

Blaine will be the only backup strictly for cap reasons. I'd feel better with JJ as the backup but it won't happen. Roster spots are scarce.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Good post and I agree with everything except Blabbert and Johnson both making the team.

Blaine will be the only backup strictly for cap reasons. I'd feel better with JJ as the backup but it won't happen. Roster spots are scarce.

This. I don't see them holding two backup QB's, even if it makes all the sense in the world. I think they're going to continue to hope that Gabbert gets his s**t together but mostly...that Kaepernick doesn't get hurt.
johnson played very well tonight. That INT was on the WR mostly and the 3 TDs more than made up for it.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
johnson played very well tonight. That INT was on the WR mostly and the 3 TDs more than made up for it.

Sucks we traded for Gabbert and guaranteed his stupid salary.
Every time we have had Johnson in camp he has played better than the guy we kept instead of him. I think this year is no different. I prefer Johnson over Gabbert and prefer only keeping 2qb's on the roster.

I think Harbaugh saw his chance at another salvage operation but Gabbert might be too far gone for even Harbaugh to help him.
Really liked Glenn Winston again.

Aside from being tackled for loss (not his fault...A Cleveland messed up the block),
he ran with true power and determination.

His signature run today:

10:55 left in the 4th quarter (2-and-2)

He runs into a pile at the LOS and pushes them back 4 yards.
I don't care if its against scrubs...you're talking about 300 lb bodies.

With a little more seasoning and training, he should be able to form
a true power combo with Hyde, for really kicking the bejesus out of defenses.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Every time we have had Johnson in camp he has played better than the guy we kept instead of him. I think this year is no different. I prefer Johnson over Gabbert and prefer only keeping 2qb's on the roster.

Notice how he's always available to be in camp. Not saying that Gabbert is great, but each season its the same thing, Johnson comes in, lights up the 3rd and 4th stringers, people get up in arms over it and then move on. Johnson has been in the NFL for 6 years and is a perennial 3rd string quarterback. He's had some impressive moments and I think he fits better as a backup to Kaepernick but I'm not going to cry if the 49ers cut him either.

No matter what, if Kaepernick goes down, the 49ers are screwed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM ]

Yes but you have to believe Harbaugh will want 3 toys to play with whether that turns out to be Johnson as the #3 or picking up some guy that was cut. I hope we keep 2 and save a roster spot but with Harbaugh he will probably insist on having 3 spots to work with. Out of all the positions he probably let's Baalke have more of a say but with QB's he probably handles that. Maybe Baalke still has final say but Harbaugh probably has more of an influence on QB's than any other position.

Chaz, I could pin see pinning it on Washington but wasn't it out in front of him a bit? Probably a little of both to blame. I would agree that Johnson was more of a winner than Gabbert and could have increased his chances of winning the backup job. So I guess you could call him a winner. Then again he was playing against the 4th and 5th string, maybe some 3rd where Gabbert was up against the 2nd and 3rd string. This was the only game of the pre-season where we seemed to have a higher string in than the other team. Usually it was us 2 and 3 vs their 1s or our 3s and 4s vs their 1s/2s but this time it was closer to even or them having the higher string out there. To be fair I did put Johnson as the #2 if the roster was up to me. Then again I'd probably be looking to upgrade over him by looking through the cut players.

I wish we would have restructured him off the bat but to be fair guys a lot of backups out there are making 3, 4, 5 million a year. It could be a lot worse. 2 mil for a backup isn't that bad it just sucks we can't cut him or we have 2 in dead money. As for the 6th round pick no big deal we got a 6th back anyways in a draft trade with the jags.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM ]
Originally posted by jabberwocky:
Really liked Glenn Winston again.

Aside from being tackled for loss (not his fault...A Cleveland messed up the block),
he ran with true power and determination.

His signature run today:

10:55 left in the 4th quarter (2-and-2)

He runs into a pile at the LOS and pushes them back 4 yards.
I don't care if its against scrubs...you're talking about 300 lb bodies.

With a little more seasoning and training, he should be able to form
a true power combo with Hyde, for really kicking the bejesus out of defenses.

Assuming that seasoning is with the 49ers and not with a team like Atlanta or the Giants.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yes but you have to believe Harbaugh will want 3 toys to play with whether that turns out to be Johnson as the #3 or picking up some guy that was cut. I hope we keep 2 and save a roster spot but with Harbaugh he will probably insist on having 3 spots to work with. Out of all the positions he probably let's Baalke have more of a say but with QB's he probably handles that. Maybe Baalke still has final say but Harbaugh probably has more of an influence on QB's than any other position.

Well I'm trying to remember if JJ outplayed McCoy last year. I'm inclined to say he did. Much the same situation in regards to us trading for McCoy and him having a guaranteed salary. Although I think he restructured. We didn't keep 3 then so I don't see it happening now.

My prediction is Gabbert makes it as the sole backup. Not the way I'd prefer it but it's the only choice IMO.
Well I'm trying to remember if JJ outplayed McCoy last year. I'm inclined to say he did. Much the same situation in regards to us trading for McCoy and him having a guaranteed salary. Although I think he restructured. We didn't keep 3 then so I don't see it happening now.

My prediction is Gabbert makes it as the sole backup. Not the way I'd prefer it but it's the only choice IMO.

I thought we kept 3 with BJ Daniels then later in the season cut him. Then Harbaugh started making his way through the backup QB's of the league with John Skelton, McLeod Bethel Thompson, and a few other guys I can't remember.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
in our scheme, winston is our 3rd best rb; and it's not close.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

If we cut JJ AGAIN I will be SHOCKED