LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

What's up with our Defense???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
The TD versus DEN was a blown coverage. That is what happens when pattern matching goes wrong. Numerous 3rd down conversions have been a result of bad coverage due to this. The TD versus SD was Dahl being Dahl.

There was also 8 starters missing on that play
It's called preseason, not all of our starters, and basic schemes. If you honestly think Craig Dahl is EVER going to see the field on anything other than special teams, then you might want to worry. When you actually have Bethea, Reid and Jimmie Ward playing safety when it really counts and things don't work out, then by all means worry.
Craig Dahl

/Thread.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Cully looks slow, Wilhoite looks like a back up, Ward looks like a rookie, Dahl's a truck.

This has been my one or my issues. Cully just doesn't look like he's ready. He just plays 40 miles off the wr. He took a horrible angle on a pass yesterday

Other thing that is pretty alarming is where is the pass rush? so far the 1st team hasn't really done a dam thing in terms of pass rush. And without Aldon when the season starts im not sure this secondary can hold up at all.

The CBs play with that cushion to read the QB's dropback, the #2 (slot) WR, and to attack downhill on run plays. It's a cover4 alignment, which the 49ers have been playing all preseason long. I fault Cully (vs SD) for one bad angle taken on a tackle attempt. On that same play, I credit him for properly reading the QB's dropback and driving to attack the throw. It should have been a catch and an immediate tackle. I'm not worried about Cully. When he was tested on a deep route (playaction fake, deep pass), he was right there with the intended WR (incomplete pass).
But it was incomplete b/c the WR dropped the ball. Hit the wr right on his hands then Cully tipped the ball away after that.
But it was incomplete b/c the WR dropped the ball. Hit the wr right on his hands then Cully tipped the ball away after that.

yup. it wasn't the greatest pass either, if he was led more it would have been 6.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM ]
  • thl408

yup. it wasn't the greatest pass either, if he was lead more it would have been 6.

Ohh is that what happened? I thought Cully got a finger on that to tip it.

yup. it wasn't the greatest pass either, if he was lead more it would have been 6.

Me too but when they replayed it Cully tipped the ball after it bounced right off the wr's hands. And I wouldn't kill him over that one play tho. Guys get beat it happens. It's just been his overall play. But as you pointed out it could be more of the coverage they are playing. Once the season starts him and Brock will be much more aggressive. Plus Cully is coming off a major injury and I think i'm worried he's just not 100 yet

i'm a little confused. the ball hit the TE on his hands and Cully stripped it away. seemed like a good play to me.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
i'm a little confused. the ball hit the TE on his hands and Cully stripped it away. seemed like a good play to me.

That's what I saw.
You guys know half the starting defense sat for the Broncos game, right? And then the Bethea concussion...?

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
You guys know half the starting defense sat for the Broncos game, right? And then the Bethea concussion...?

Manning will carve any defense in his sleep with 2's in there
Nothing, they just need to work and create chemistry with the "Youts"
No our defense doesnt suck, Dahl sucks. He has been burned on the seam both games.

/thread.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
No our defense doesnt suck, Dahl sucks. He has been burned on the seam both games.

/thread.
Mr. Harbaugh, I just want to thank you for taking the time to post here. I can't think of any other coach in the league that would take the time to post on a community message board. Good luck this season!
Originally posted by lazy:
We suck during preseason

Fixed
Share 49ersWebzone