What's up with our Defense???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Question: What's up with our defense???

Answer: It's good.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lazy:
Whitner great leader?

he took the lead from goldson in making drive extending penalties for the other team, i will say that for him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Question: What's up with our defense???

Answer: It's good.
you must have missed the staff meeting today,., it will suck because chris collinsworth, aikman, buck and seahawk fans say it will and it will suck based upon three worthless pre season games.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Even if I wasn't happy with their play last year, we were still an elite team that came so close to the Superbowl! There's no such thing as a perfect defense anyway, I hope that's not what you're expecting...

I don't understand how you can just take away two great leaders in Whitner and Bowman and replace them with Whilhoite and Bethea and Dahl and think everything is find and dandy!

first off, i am off the dahl bandwagon, bethea is everything whitner is except for drive extending penalties. when michael w came and did the job last year that showed me he can be a player for us if need be. we have many other leaders on defense like justin who can take that role plus reid is a year older and smarter and is more of a leader this year. losing bowman and smith are problems but problems are meant to be solved. i think we have shown that we can do that with other players. the key is short term. if both were to be gone for the entire year then we have a different conversation and i would see cause for worry. right now,, no i just do not see all this gloom and doom and "whats up" with our team today

How can you just conclude that Bethea is "everything whitner is" when it's the preseason, we haven't seen any real game planning yet, and he's out concussed?! Lemme guess it's because people in here said Bethea is as good right?! lololol
Whitner great leader?

he took the lead from goldson in making drive extending penalties for the other team, i will say that for him

Have you guys not seen any of Whitner's mic'd up session?! he was clearly a leader in the secondary and we should thank him for mentoring Eric Reid. If you can't agree to that idk what to tell you.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Whitner great leader?

Have you guys not seen any of Whitner's mic'd up session?! he was clearly a leader in the secondary and we should thank him for mentoring Eric Reid. If you can't agree to that idk what to tell you.

Yeah whither was clearly a leader.. When he signed with San Fran harbaugh kept talking about his ability to lead and how he wanted him making the secondary calls. How quickly we forget how good he was for us... Smh.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
You can boil it down very simply. Who is the one player that's been in coverage on these plays and absolutely blown it? Craig Dahl. Does there really need to be any discussion beyond that? Dahl and Spillman are atrocious safeties, and we've known that from whenever they're put into an actual game. Teams know they're both trash, and the exploit it every time. I'd be a lot more confident just putting Jimmie Ward back there if either Reid or Bethea go out, and Cox/Morris at slot.
Originally posted by Disp:
You can boil it down very simply. Who is the one player that's been in coverage on these plays and absolutely blown it? Craig Dahl. Does there really need to be any discussion beyond that? Dahl and Spillman are atrocious safeties, and we've known that from whenever they're put into an actual game. Teams know they're both trash, and the exploit it every time. I'd be a lot more confident just putting Jimmie Ward back there if either Reid or Bethea go out, and Cox/Morris at slot.

I agree with that. Ward already looks like a better safety than either of those guys.
Cully looks slow, Wilhoite looks like a back up, Ward looks like a rookie, Dahl's a truck.
Not worried at all about our D. When the reg season rolls around you will see the starting DL of Smith/Williams/Ray Mac playing a lot with Dial and Carradine coming in, Willis and Brooks will play all game & whenever his suspension is up, Aldon will be 2. I like our DB as long as Dahl isn't out there. I really hope that if a time comes this year when one of our safties is out of the game, the team puts Ward back there and uses Cox as the nickle CB. Dahl sucks and I hope he gets cut.

Originally posted by T-9ers:
Cully looks slow, Wilhoite looks like a back up, Ward looks like a rookie, Dahl's a truck.

This has been my one or my issues. Cully just doesn't look like he's ready. He just plays 40 miles off the wr. He took a horrible angle on a pass yesterday

Other thing that is pretty alarming is where is the pass rush? so far the 1st team hasn't really done a dam thing in terms of pass rush. And without Aldon when the season starts im not sure this secondary can hold up at all.
You mean our #1 defense that was 90% intact yesterday and only gave up 7 points in a half of football, playing their most basic schemes? They're okay.

Craig Dahl is not okay, and he's been a liability every time he's stepped on the field with our defense. He knows where to be, but he's only athletic enough to get a really good seat to watch the big plays he gives up. I just know that Fangio is gonna keep him, and it makes me weep to think of it. To compound that issue, I didn't see L.J. McCray play at all, and I'm afraid they're gonna try to cut him and sneak him onto the PS. I wouldn't be surprised if another team claims him off waivers.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Yeah whither was clearly a leader.. When he signed with San Fran harbaugh kept talking about his ability to lead and how he wanted him making the secondary calls. How quickly we forget how good he was for us... Smh.

Bethea is better, and he played without a pass rush for the last 2 years.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Not worried at all about our D. When the reg season rolls around you will see the starting DL of Smith/Williams/Ray Mac playing a lot with Dial and Carradine coming in, Willis and Brooks will play all game & whenever his suspension is up, Aldon will be 2. I like our DB as long as Dahl isn't out there. I really hope that if a time comes this year when one of our safties is out of the game, the team puts Ward back there and uses Cox as the nickle CB. Dahl sucks and I hope he gets cut.

Indeed. I can see why the rams fans wanted him gone.
  • thl408
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by T-9ers:

This has been my one or my issues. Cully just doesn't look like he's ready. He just plays 40 miles off the wr. He took a horrible angle on a pass yesterday

Other thing that is pretty alarming is where is the pass rush? so far the 1st team hasn't really done a dam thing in terms of pass rush. And without Aldon when the season starts im not sure this secondary can hold up at all.

The CBs play with that cushion to read the QB's dropback, the #2 (slot) WR, and to attack downhill on run plays. It's a cover4 alignment, which the 49ers have been playing all preseason long. I fault Cully (vs SD) for one bad angle taken on a tackle attempt. On that same play, I credit him for properly reading the QB's dropback and driving to attack the throw. It should have been a catch and an immediate tackle. I'm not worried about Cully. When he was tested on a deep route (playaction fake, deep pass), he was right there with the intended WR (incomplete pass).
Share 49ersWebzone