LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Preseason Week 3 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Re: Jonthan Martin

I think I was dead wrong about this guy. He might be soft, but he can play. Glad I have to eat my words.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
has Ellington passed up LMJ for top return man ?

all i saw yesterday was a punch of fair kicks and james running away from things
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Re: Jonthan Martin

I think I was dead wrong about this guy. He might be soft, but he can play. Glad I have to eat my words.

Nice to see some redemption for the guy, IMO. This might be a classic example of how the environment that team creates makes a difference for some players. Surrounded by supportive players who act more like brothers than bullies might be more conducive to high performance. Who would have guessed? Evidently, that's too high a concept for the Dolphins coaching staff.
I saw the game ... i hope marcus martin injury not be serious

Greetings from Lima - PERU
Iupati: Something is definitely wrong with him... Rewatching the game again right now and his body language is completely off. Shaking his head and wiping his brow before the ball is even snapped. He played even worse than I initially thought... run and pass blocking; he was only notching a positive play 1 out of every 3 plays basically killing drives before they had a chance to start. He starts to find his groove a little during the third series before getting schooled again by Luiget and the drive ending.

Dont know what is really going on with him, the only real positive to say right now is that he is a vet and as a unit theyve turned things around before.
only two things keep lmj returning over ellington, experience and ellington hasnt got a grasp on fair catches. I think seeing Ellington in there for more punt returns the kicks also proves the theory some around here have had about harbaughs methods with rookies. find the thing they did not do well or alot in college and make them do that non stop. Happened with Vance last year as well as other players.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Iupati: Something is definitely wrong with him... Rewatching the game again right now and his body language is completely off. Shaking his head and wiping his brow before the ball is even snapped. He played even worse than I initially thought... run and pass blocking; he was only notching a positive play 1 out of every 3 plays basically killing drives before they had a chance to start. He starts to find his groove a little during the third series before getting schooled again by Luiget and the drive ending.

Dont know what is really going on with him, the only real positive to say right now is that he is a vet and as a unit theyve turned things around before.

That's what I saw.

Watched the entire game twice and watched those first few series 3 times.

Luiget (sp?) looked like Warren Sapp out there. Maybe he's just a good player or he was just amped the hell up, but he was owning Iupati and others in this game. Hell, He blew up a pulling Jonathan Martin on the first play to stop Gore for a loss.

Perhaps its because the Chargers had kinda been embarrassed and they came outy with their hair on fire. Dunno. Its not like the Niners had been playing great...but maybe they felt they had less to prove. No idea. I'd say maybe Iupati is just bad...but we've all see him be dominant.

The thing is Iupati is a young player. He shouldn't be on the decline. He physically gifted. The errors he seems to be making are mental. Its like his heads not in the game.

Just odd.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM ]
Great things came out of that game yesterday IMHO (and collectively, this pre season thus far):

1. Ian Williams looked good at NT and active and seems to be playing with some confidence (whew)! Granted, we don't need him to play much against passing teams like the Chargers, though but it's still great to see him out there.
2. So, that leads me to Justin Smith who was rocking out there and very disruptive (looked energized).
3. Dial/Carradine...and just in case McDonald doesn't play at a high level, we're good. Add TJE here as well. McDonald looked OK yesterday.
4. Morris continues to play outside at CB (has all pre season) and has gotten better and better; what a break/blast on that throw! He's a lock and like Cox, can play the slot or outside (now). This secondary has a chance to be special and extremely versatile. Remember when, "Chris Cook sucks!"?
5. Glenn Winston just made the PS which is good b/c James falls down when the wind blows and I don't want him returning punts OR running the ball...ever! Just stay in to block on 3rd downs and receive an occasional swing-pass.
5. It was great to get Culliver out there as well. He looks quick/fast/hungry and he just needs to control his passion right now...esp. with Fangio playing ALL of our secondary 10+ yards off all pre season. But come regular season, I expect to see more press with he and Brock (who had his side locked down again).
6. Good to see Willis out there even though coverage is still not his strength. Between he and Wilhoite, they know they need to work on that.
7. Speaking of Wilhoite, like I predicted, he would play much quicker and hesitate less once he was lined up next to Willis. Great 4th down stuff (he and Willis together).
8. It's safe to say the right side of the OL is the least of our worries! Looney and Martin look terrific and Davis isn't even back yet! Boone who?
9. Ward finally got to demonstrate his play making skills and we've barely noticed Hitner is gone.
10. Kilgore played a very nice game yesterday (his best one by miles); and just in time!
11. Speaking of C's, the loss of Marcus Martin is brutal but there has been praise for Dillon Farrell this pre season and he looked good after Marcus went down. Now he'll get a real shot to win a backup C spot next game and he's about $1M cheaper than Adam Snyder (who we all know, blows at every position).
12. Nobody wants to talk about it but NT Mike Purcell has looked WAY better the past two games and seems like another Ian Williams in the making with one more year on the PS.
13. People are still struggling with the order of our #3 WR's with SJ, Lloyd, Patton and Ellington. And that's not really a terrible thing. Does anyone else find that ironic?
14. We have out P/KR in Ellington...unless Bruce Miller keeps cock-blocking he and James!
15. ST coverage units have been very good with a lot of younsters stepping up.
16. We have confirmed that Dahl (and Spillman) suck and McCray has been running with the second team all pre season and has been the #1 gunner thus far. Come on down, kid! And we all know Ventrone is only a ST ace soooo...
17. VMcD isn't a bust anymore? What a surprise (not).
18. Both Gabbert and Johnson looked good yesterday.
19. Hyde continues to command more and more of the rock and we haven't even activated Lattimore yet.
20. Ryan Seymour has played very well at T & G and he seems like the new Adam Snyder ($1.3M)...but WAY cheaper...and significantly better with even more upside. Thanks Seattle! Can we have BJ Daniels back now?
21. Okoye...isn't a joke anymore. This dude can play. Can we keep him...at least on the PS? Dobbs is hanging on for dear life (good problem to have).
22. Lynch...he's Brooks 2.0...but bigger! So now is a guy like Skuta/Lemonier going to get cut as a result? Probably not thanks to Aldon's suspension.
23. We will have Aldon, Dorsey, Bowman and Marcus Martin all coming back around the same time...if not sooner!
24. I saw us run VMcD and Ellington out of the backfield. Think about that for a second.
25. We have some depth at ILB now with Borland and Moody.

Lots of really really good things. Hopefully the offensive staff will figure their stuff out as we're gearing up for week 1. The grass will hopefully be better. So far, no injuries to key starters (Hunter and Martin). Lots of guys on I.R. expected to be super talented (Thomas, Reaser, Millard, etc.) for next year's pool...like Carradine and Dial this year. We just have a few remaining questions to answer before Dallas!

Bottom line: We have TWO very tough cut-days...one, when we determine the 53 man roster and the other, when all our I.R. studs come back for the playoff run.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
Great review as always Marvin49! So ready for week 1!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
After watching the SD game, I really am expecting Dahl's name to be the first one to get cut.

What are they waiting for??

I think this team is better than last years team.
A couple more things to add...

LMJ: Talk about a player drafted to the absolute wrong team. Roman has no clue how to use him and all he does is what is asked. Very impressed with his pass blocking... did not give a F about his elbow just went all out. He also showed his hands like he does every offseason. He is NOT an inside runner, we know that... but he is becoming the ideal 3rd down back who can pass protect or make a play on a short dump off. If we use him for what he is.. he can be successful. If Roman keeps trying to be "tricky" and run power dives with him... well we already know what that looks like.

Kilgore: Honestly not as bad as so many people have been saying. He does his job, not spectacularly but he gets it done. Once Martin recovers and then takes the reigns next offseason, Kilgore will become a nice swing inside line backup. He's got all the technique just not the genes.

LMJ: Talk about a player drafted to the absolute wrong team. Roman has no clue how to use him and all he does is what is asked. Very impressed with his pass blocking... did not give a F about his elbow just went all out. He also showed his hands like he does every offseason. He is NOT an inside runner, we know that... but he is becoming the ideal 3rd down back who can pass protect or make a play on a short dump off. If we use him for what he is.. he can be successful. If Roman keeps trying to be "tricky" and run power dives with him... well we already know what that looks like.

Kilgore: Honestly not as bad as so many people have been saying. He does his job, not spectacularly but he gets it done. Once Martin recovers and then takes the reigns next offseason, Kilgore will become a nice swing inside line backup. He's got all the technique just not the genes.

Agreed. And now with Hyde, that 3rd down back isn't as critical...b/c he can catch too. But yes, if his blocking continues to get better and we use him in the passing game (crossing routes, delayed flare outs, swing passes, middle screens, etc.) he could be quite a weapon esp. with all the attention given to the WR's/TE's and CK's legs. We could sprint him out of the backfield like we just did with Vance McDonald (for the TD) and Ellington! He could be quite the weapon...but...

Kilgore graded out pretty poor the first two games (via the film study) but THIS game, he looked like a different player. He's a technician and like you said, he's just not gifted physically although strength can be acquired in the weight room and with proper technique. Fingers crossed!
Temporary Problem - 49erswebzone.com Forum

Originally posted by NCommand:
Great things came out of that game yesterday IMHO (and collectively, this pre season thus far):

1. Ian Williams looked good at NT and active and seems to be playing with some confidence (whew)! Granted, we don't need him to play much against passing teams like the Chargers, though but it's still great to see him out there.
2. So, that leads me to Justin Smith who was rocking out there and very disruptive (looked energized).
3. Dial/Carradine...and just in case McDonald doesn't play at a high level, we're good. Add TJE here as well. McDonald looked OK yesterday.
4. Morris continues to play outside at CB (has all pre season) and has gotten better and better; what a break/blast on that throw! He's a lock and like Cox, can play the slot or outside (now). This secondary has a chance to be special and extremely versatile. Remember when, "Chris Cook sucks!"?
5. Glenn Winston just made the PS which is good b/c James falls down when the wind blows and I don't want him returning punts OR running the ball...ever! Just stay in to block on 3rd downs and receive an occasional swing-pass.
5. It was great to get Culliver out there as well. He looks quick/fast/hungry and he just needs to control his passion right now...esp. with Fangio playing ALL of our secondary 10+ yards off all pre season. But come regular season, I expect to see more press with he and Brock (who had his side locked down again).
6. Good to see Willis out there even though coverage is still not his strength. Between he and Wilhoite, they know they need to work on that.
7. Speaking of Wilhoite, like I predicted, he would play much quicker and hesitate less once he was lined up next to Willis. Great 4th down stuff (he and Willis together).
8. It's safe to say the right side of the OL is the least of our worries! Looney and Martin look terrific and Davis isn't even back yet! Boone who?
9. Ward finally got to demonstrate his play making skills and we've barely noticed Hitner is gone.
10. Kilgore played a very nice game yesterday (his best one by miles); and just in time!
11. Speaking of C's, the loss of Marcus Martin is brutal but there has been praise for Dillon Farrell this pre season and he looked good after Marcus went down. Now he'll get a real shot to win a backup C spot next game and he's about $1M cheaper than Adam Snyder (who we all know, blows at every position).
12. Nobody wants to talk about it but NT Mike Purcell has looked WAY better the past two games and seems like another Ian Williams in the making with one more year on the PS.
13. People are still struggling with the order of our #3 WR's with SJ, Lloyd, Patton and Ellington. And that's not really a terrible thing. Does anyone else find that ironic?
14. We have out P/KR in Ellington...unless Bruce Miller keeps cock-blocking he and James!
15. ST coverage units have been very good with a lot of younsters stepping up.
16. We have confirmed that Dahl (and Spillman) suck and McCray has been running with the second team all pre season and has been the #1 gunner thus far. Come on down, kid! And we all know Ventrone is only a ST ace soooo...
17. VMcD isn't a bust anymore? What a surprise (not).
18. Both Gabbert and Johnson looked good yesterday.
19. Hyde continues to command more and more of the rock and we haven't even activated Lattimore yet.
20. Ryan Seymour has played very well at T & G and he seems like the new Adam Snyder ($1.3M)...but WAY cheaper...and significantly better with even more upside. Thanks Seattle! Can we have BJ Daniels back now?
21. Okoye...isn't a joke anymore. This dude can play. Can we keep him...at least on the PS? Dobbs is hanging on for dear life (good problem to have).
22. Lynch...he's Brooks 2.0...but bigger! So now is a guy like Skuta/Lemonier going to get cut as a result? Probably not thanks to Aldon's suspension.
23. We will have Aldon, Dorsey, Bowman and Marcus Martin all coming back around the same time...if not sooner!
24. I saw us run VMcD and Ellington out of the backfield. Think about that for a second.
25. We have some depth at ILB now with Borland and Moody.

Lots of really really good things. Hopefully the offensive staff will figure their stuff out as we're gearing up for week 1. The grass will hopefully be better. So far, no injuries to key starters (Hunter and Martin). Lots of guys on I.R. expected to be super talented (Thomas, Reaser, Millard, etc.) for next year's pool...like Carradine and Dial this year. We just have a few remaining questions to answer before Dallas!

Bottom line: We have TWO very tough cut-days...one, when we determine the 53 man roster and the other, when all our I.R. studs come back for the playoff run.

Cook still sucks I haven't seen him do anything in a real game yet. Week 5 we will revisit this one. He's looked decent so far in pre season tho. And we gotta re visit Vance too. I'll concede you looking right about Vance and I'm not.

Totally agree on LMJ. He is criminally under-utilized on this team. He can be a solid contributor, and an ideal 3rd down back.
Share 49ersWebzone