Finally. A win.
1) Kap: I knew the 'zone was gonna melt down after yesterday because, well, lets be real....that's what the 'zone does after the QB, any QB, doesn't play perfectly. I haven't even looked yet, but my bet is I'll find plenty of "Throws too hard", "Inaccurate", and "Can't get through his progressions". While I concede those first 2 were on display a bit in those few possessions to start the game, he simply didn't have time for the third. I really don't think he's the problem...and I'll go into that later.
2) Hyde: Love this guy. Not only the size, but apparently enough speed to get the edge. Switches direction quickly, decisive, powerful, and determined. If I have any criticism its that he seems to run a bit too high sometimes when going through the line as LB get below his pads and blow him up. I saw the same thing in his highlights at Ohio State...particularly on the Goal line. I liken it to when I had issues with Reid last year and his tackling. Player looks GREAT, can't wait to see more, but I'd like to see him work on one aspect of his game. The good news for Hyde is that he has 2 GREAT teachers who can talk to him about getting his pads low in Frank and Rathman.
3) Iupati: WTF is wrong with Mike? It doesn't look like he's hurt...it looks like he's lost. I don't have any idea what to make of it. He almost got Colin killed a few times AND he wasn't very good in the run game either. I really don't know what the deal is. Colin had very little time back there. I think some of those throws were throwaways because he felt the pressure.
4) Lynch: I am pretty surprised by this guy. I knew he had potential, but I figured he was raw as hell and would take some time...and even then there were questions about his work ethic. He's looked pretty damn good tho, albeit against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Looks like there's something there to work with.
5) Ward: Nice to see him make some plays. Flying around out there. He'll make some mistakes, but there is a ton of effort out there. I like the kid.
6) Borland: Had a pretty bad first preseason game, but he's been Mighty Mouse ever since. He also makes some mistakes, but MAN that dude is all effort. I know he's supposed to be slow and not have the measurable, but he sure seems to get where he's going in a hurry for a guy who's slow. Always around the ball, always active, and hits like a hammer.
7) Sod: It held up much better than I thought. Hopefully it will be much better in the opener.
8) Tank: Still flashing really good play. Seems a bit invisible and then will make a big play. On Lynch's sack, watch Carradine. Lynch was able to get that sack because Tank pushed his man right up into the QB. The QB couldn't step up past Lynch so Lynch was able to make the play even with the guy holding him. These young D-Linemen are looking really good.
9) Winston: I know it was a really small sample, but please let Hampton go and put Winston on the PS. Thank You.
10) Almost time: I've now officially gotten to the "I'm tired of preseason, bring on the regular season games" mode of the season. Can't wait for week 1.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM ]