LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

2014 Roster cut down part one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
49ers are cutting punter Colton Schmidt, according to a source. He led the preseason in net yards

Yeah he'll get picked up PDQ.

Yup. He can be a top-level punter for somebody.
49ers are cutting punter Colton Schmidt, according to a source. He led the preseason in net yards

Shame. He did a good job
#49ers expected to waive QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, source said. Leaves them 3 QBs on roster.

Probably his last go-round with the team. Good luck to him.
there is alot of talent on this team that needs to be kept via special teams. I think its time to see that, instead of hoping to stash players on the ps only to see them get signed and succeed on other teams. I know guys like ventrone and osgood are special team aces but what are they losing to keep these one trick ponies?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Shame. He did a good job
i am not sure why i bring this up, other than some love for punters,,, but remember back in the day we were so bad at punting we had to resort to calling the late reggie roby out of retirement to punt for us? 97 98 ish? .. anyway i thought they may hold onto colton till the last round of cuts just to give lee a bit more of a break but its nice they cut him now and that way he can catch on with a team, get used to the stadium he is in etc
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
there is alot of talent on this team that needs to be kept via special teams. I think its time to see that, instead of hoping to stash players on the ps only to see them get signed and succeed on other teams. I know guys like ventrone and osgood are special team aces but what are they losing to keep these one trick ponies?

i think we will keep at least one of these one trick ponies you mentioned. we got some guys who may very well be great players for us and we still got our stand byes like skuta but you know we did lose hunter and dixon . we may also lose dahl who is a good special teams guy. i think alfonzo smith will be a great special teams player for us and should stay. my point is that i think the team will try really hard to find a place for at least one of those guys you said . do not want to repeat past mistakes of gutting special teams
Originally posted by English:

Shame. He did a good job

What's the alternative? Cut Lee? Carry two punters? He has to be cut, even if he did a fabulous job.
#49ers announced: Waived QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, RB Jewel Hampton, WR Devon Wylie and 4 others. Released WR David Reed.
The 49ers also released linebacker Blake Costanzo from the Injured Reserve List.
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday that they have waived the following seven players: quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, safety D.J. Campbell, tight end Kevin Greene, running back Jewel Hampton, punt Colton Schmidt, linebacker Kion Wilson and wide receiver Devon Wylie. The team also released wide receiver David Reed.

Additionally, the 49ers placed running back Marcus Lattimore, fullback Trey Millard, cornerback Keith Reaser and guard Brandon Thomas on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List. Linebacker NaVorro Bowman, tight end Garrett Celek and defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey were placed on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List.

The 49ers also released linebacker Blake Costanzo from the Injured Reserve List.

The 49ers roster currently stands at 75 and must be trimmed to 53 by 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Waive-Seven-Players-Trim-Roster-to-75/41fb28e6-b473-4ae7-8c11-f0e4b5a94d51?campaign=social_20140826_30456366

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday that they have waived the following seven players: quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, safety D.J. Campbell, tight end Kevin Greene, running backJewel Hampton, punt Colton Schmidt, linebacker Kion Wilson and wide receiver Devon Wylie. The team also released wide receiver David Reed.
Too bad Campbell got axed. Loved the hit he put some fool yesterday.
The 49ers also released linebacker Blake Costanzo from the Injured Reserve List.

Good dude. Maybe time to hang up the cleats. Make him an assistant to Brad Seely or something.
Cutting Costanzo from the reserve list must save some cap.
Can't believe Stevie Johnson hasn't been cut!!!
Share 49ersWebzone