LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 390 users in the forums

2014 Roster cut down part one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Dahl must mean "Throw deep to the guy I'm three steps behind" in QB language. There must be better options available.

he's good on ST?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Dahl must mean "Throw deep to the guy I'm three steps behind" in QB language. There must be better options available.

he's good on ST?

So is Ventrone, and he is cheaper to keep.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

he's good on ST?

So is Ventrone, and he is cheaper to keep.
yes i bet dahl gets the ax yet this week. do we have any kids behind him that could be at least respectable back up safeties. i guess ward should be considered one
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Craig Dahl seems like a good person with a good head on his shoulders, but he's just not a good football player. I honestly would be really worried about the secondary if he ever had to start. I'd take a washed up Ed Reed over Dahl any day of the week.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Craig Dahl seems like a good person with a good head on his shoulders, but he's just not a good football player. I honestly would be really worried about the secondary if he ever had to start. I'd take a washed up Ed Reed over Dahl any day of the week.

i agree. i defended him when he came over,, liked the fact he was a good locker room guy, really good special teams guy and can play both safety positions,, but i think his time has come
he's good on ST?

So are Spillman and Ventrone and they can't really contribute on defense either. 49ers have too many safeties that are only really effective in that regard.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
he's good on ST?

So are Spillman and Ventrone and they can't really contribute on defense either. 49ers have too many safeties that are only really effective in that regard.

agree, phoenix and i have already decided that dahl is gone, alfonzo smith stays and takes the special teams spot that dahl had. if only they would listen to us!
Originally posted by cciowa:
agree, phoenix and i have already decided that dahl is gone, alfonzo smith stays and takes the special teams spot that dahl had. if only they would listen to us!

The issue with cutting Dahl is that while he's not a great backup, I trust him a heck of a lot more than having to play Spillman. This issue is something that will have to be rectified next offseason, perhaps drafting someone to develop as depth at safety because currently they have Dahl and Ward and nothing else. I'd like to see McCray or Campbell wind up on the PS and not get snatched up by other teams, both of them have shown potential to contribute on defense and special teams.

I do think that the 49ers like McCray a lot, I know that Tomsula specifically likes him a lot and I do think that they have been trying to hide him a bit in the hopes of being able to pass him on to the practice squad.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
he's good on ST?

IMO since we have a few options at nickle CB, if one of our starting safties go down, we should put Ward back there and play Cox in the slot. Dahl absolutely sucks and we have enough ST only type guys.
Who is the 49ers "Turk"?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
IMO since we have a few options at nickle CB, if one of our starting safties go down, we should put Ward back there and play Cox in the slot. Dahl absolutely sucks and we have enough ST only type guys.

i do not know much about the x and o's of the game but your theory certainly does sound logical to me!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we also have to cut dahl to make room for lawrence o. you know maybe the nfl will grant us a special exemption to increase the roster just so we can add him
#49ers expected to waive QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, source said. Leaves them 3 QBs on roster.
[ Edited by 49er_Rider on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:43 PM ]
49ers are cutting punter Colton Schmidt, according to a source. He led the preseason in net yards
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
49ers are cutting punter Colton Schmidt, according to a source. He led the preseason in net yards

Yeah he'll get picked up PDQ.
Share 49ersWebzone