LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

who should we keep

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ads_2006:
the cb in KC is the only one that really comes to mind

And he was horrible down the stretch for KC but people make it sound like the 49ers coughed up Deion Sanders.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
i hope trent does not make the same mistake as last year ...by cutting the wrong people ..i hope winston .washington make it on the 53 man roster ...i think q patton ..cj spillman .c dahl ...should be released ..this preseason has showed how horrible they are

Patton has a ton of potential, and has barely gotten to play yet. The 49ers arent going to get rid of him because of a lackluster preseason. Especially since the entire first team offense has sucked so far.

Also, Spillman has arguably been our most productive, veteran ST player the last few seasons. They arent cutting those 2 guys for practice squad scrubs like Winston and Washington.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
the cb in KC is the only one that really comes to mind

And he was horrible down the stretch for KC but people make it sound like the 49ers coughed up Deion Sanders.

Cooper got picked on all year in KC, but its because rookie CB's ALWAYS get picked on. Its just good strategy. He showed signs of being a playmaker, and he got burned other times.

Ultimately I think thats a roster move Baalke is going to wish he could have back. Cooper will get better.

I think were pretty well set up at CB for the future though. Brock and Culliver are young and very promising, Jimmie Ward is going to be great, and then you have the raw potential of Darryl Morris, Dontae Johnson, and Kenneth Acker.

Dontae Johnson looks really polished for a rookie, and hes got the size to take on the bigger WR.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Anyone get a sinking feeling that Stevie Johnson might get cut?

I don't think Baalke is willing to give up on a 4th round pick yet. Not to mention Stevie Johnson is the real deal, it's not just him who's struggling, c'mon now.

Ya, the entire passing game is struggling. If they let Stevie Johnson go it would be one of the stupidest moves I've ever seen a team make. It would also signify that Kaepernick isn't ready to take advantage of 3 or 4 very good WR's on the field at the same time. I dont even want them to let Lloyd go. I had this vision in my mind, as naive as it may be, of our offense showing more 3 and 4 WR sets with Kap sitting in the pocket going through progressions and lighting it up. Also having a fresh rotation of guys who will make opposing D's PAY for stacking the box on us. Most NFL offensive coordinators and QB's would KILL to have a line-up consisting of Crabtree/Bodin/Johnson/Davis/Lloyd. I mean, they would sell their souls to the devil to get that. If they let Johnson go I'll never let that down. I'll be pissed off for 40 years.

I stopped watching basketball after the Warriors pissed away that 94 team they had with Sprewell, Webber, Owens, Mullin and Hardaway (although Tim was injured they could have held that team together). It pissed me off so much I stopped watching basketball completely. And the Warriors sucked for years afterwards. And they deserved it. Don Nelson is an idiot. I don't think Baalke, Roman and Harbaugh are as stupid as Don Nelson. Different sport and different circumstances but we have a championship lineup at the moment. It's not going to get any better than this, as far as offensive weapons. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Stevie Johnson. There's not even anything wrong with Lloyd (he doesn't deserve the hate from some fans). I'm getting pissed off just thinking about them dropping Johnson. Not only would it be a wasted opportunity it would be a waste of a draft pick. And he'd most likely end up in the NFC West in Seattle, Arizona or with the Rams. Or Carolina. Same with Lloyd. Could you imagine Palmer's game with Fitz, Floyd, Johnson, Lloyd and Ginn/Brown? They'd be unstoppable.

All I can say is this cutting Johnson talk is pure nonsense. Give any other NFL team our WR corps and they'd run wild...or pass wild. Probably both seeing D's couldn't stack the box on them. Johnson doesn't even need to put up great numbers, and he probably wouldn't. Just having him on the field with Crabs/Boldin/Davis creates a whole new dynamic. A nightmare dynamic for opposing secondaries. We NEED him for the Arizona/Seattle games.
McCray, Johnson and Acker will be snatched if they hit the wire. The team has an eye for DB's why not keep them for a change. Cox gets no respect. This Winston ran like a Seahawk, keep him, Lattimore is taking years to get ready, make him someone else's project.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
McCray, Johnson and Acker will be snatched if they hit the wire. The team has an eye for DB's why not keep them for a change. Cox gets no respect. This Winston ran like a Seahawk, keep him, Lattimore is taking years to get ready, make him someone else's project.

Cut J. Hampton instead of Winston.
Keep Lattimore, he will do good for us later this year.

I hope it doesn't happen but yes...Ellington has played well and despite what OP said so has Patton. There is also a salary cap thing involved. Stevie is getting a big salary. If he's not blowing them away then they may feel a younger, cheaper player can give them similar results for a lot less money.

And obviously it's tough for Baalke to make these calls. Part of it is the coaches decision if not all of it. They say who they want and who they don't think can give them a good chance to win.

Some guys they want to keep but want to gamble that they can sneak them onto the PS.

I think the toughest cuts will be in the secondary and backup OL/ILB.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Lattimore doesn't have to get cut. They can keep him on the team and not count against the 53 on the injury list.

So ridiculous to give up on a guy before he has even stepped on the field with all the talent he has.

I believe they can keep him under his current designation and only bring him up when they need him. If they can get the job done with Gore/Hyde/LMJ then why keep Lattimore on the active roster but not have him active for the games?
"Preseason doesn't matter" goes for stud players as well. Cutting Patton to keep a street free agent like Winston? Please.
If it comes down to SJ or Lloyd, I'd put my money on the latter. He runs great routes, creates separation, catches the ball consistently and makes plays. Beyond that, he and Kap have already established good chemisty. Can't say any of that so far WRT SJ. Patton's not going anywhere, and to suggest he should be among the cuts is just ridiculous. Ellington's a lock. So, it'll likely come down to SJ vs Lloyd. I get the argument SJ's younger and cost a 4th rd pick...at the end of the day, though, it's consistent production that really counts, IMHO.

Agree WRT Dahl, Spillman. If Marcus Martin's going to be out for a while, they'll need to retain Snyder to b/u Kilgore. Baalke could also sign a vet...there'll most likely be some among the cuts we all know are coming.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
CJ Spillman needs to Leave. He offers nothing.

wow. Regardless if they keep him or not, I am not sure you watched the games last year. If you did, you would have noticed Spillman is awesome on special teams.

No. But he may not play much. I think Patton has shown more than Johnson and deserves to be the #3 WR.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
i hope trent does not make the same mistake as last year ...by cutting the wrong people ..i hope winston .washington make it on the 53 man roster ...i think q patton ..cj spillman .c dahl ...should be released ..this preseason has showed how horrible they are

Hahaha why would they cut Patton? He is in his 2nd year and when give a chance has produced, the talent is there. He is also on a cheap rookie contract...Boldin, SJ and Lloyd are not the future of SF, but hopefully Crabs, Patton, and Ellington are.

Winston will not make the 53 man roster, he has been on the team for like 2 weeks, maybe PS and what has Washington a UDFA done since being in SF or Dallas? He is another PS candidate....seriously thank god your not the GM.

CJ is fast and is a special team ace, if we lose Osgood because of Lloyd we have to keep CJ. I'm not a fan of Dahl at all be he is one of the only safeties vets that has played in a regular season game.
Originally posted by genus49:

I hope it doesn't happen but yes...Ellington has played well and despite what OP said so has Patton. There is also a salary cap thing involved. Stevie is getting a big salary. If he's not blowing them away then they may feel a younger, cheaper player can give them similar results for a lot less money.

And obviously it's tough for Baalke to make these calls. Part of it is the coaches decision if not all of it. They say who they want and who they don't think can give them a good chance to win.

Some guys they want to keep but want to gamble that they can sneak them onto the PS.

I think the toughest cuts will be in the secondary and backup OL/ILB.

I actually thin SJ's cap his isn't that huge in 2014. I believe it is under $4 million and the Bills are playing $1.75 million for a roster bonus in March. I could be way off though... I think his cap hit goes up after this season.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for NYniner85.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If it comes down to SJ or Lloyd, I'd put my money on the latter. He runs great routes, creates separation, catches the ball consistently and makes plays. Beyond that, he and Kap have already established good chemisty. Can't say any of that so far WRT SJ. Patton's not going anywhere, and to suggest he should be among the cuts is just ridiculous. Ellington's a lock. So, it'll likely come down to SJ vs Lloyd. I get the argument SJ's younger and cost a 4th rd pick...at the end of the day, though, it's consistent production that really counts, IMHO.

Agree WRT Dahl, Spillman. If Marcus Martin's going to be out for a while, they'll need to retain Snyder to b/u Kilgore. Baalke could also sign a vet...there'll most likely be some among the cuts we all know are coming.

Why would it come down to SJ and Lloyd? Lloyd is a 1 yr rental and is fighting with Osgood not SJ for a roster spot. Neither has showed much of anything in preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone