There are 186 users in the forums

What is up with the 49er offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know it's only preseason, but the offense looks like it is struggling. Mostly due to the OL. That can't just be because Boone is holding out.
Ya know....I've been wondering the same thing but then I remember what our offense has been the past two seasons.....and it's pretty much this. Well Maybe not this bad but, we're not a smooth running machine. We don't run smooth and precise like a manning, Brady, or breeze led offense. We run smash mouth, muck it up so to speak and make timely big plays. This is who we are and who've we been. Should we expect a smoother running product by now? Yes... But I just don't see that happening.
It's only preseason. /thread
Looks about the same as last year
Ironically, our starting offense looked pretty good in the first two pre-season games that we lost, but not as good in this one.

M Martin was a beast today. He got injured right after an incredible series of blocks.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for ElephantHaley.
I personally think that the 49ers are "bored" and don't wanna show too much in the preseason. Granted they have looked like schit but I think a lot of it is lack of gameplanning and the offensive line not jelling and the starters only playing 1 or 2 series.
The O line isn't coming together well. To many new parts, guys not practicing together guys coming off injury, etc. hopefully it gels soon and/ or the put in the guys who work best together. The backups actually seem to be working better as a unit and it is hurting the passing game a great deal. The back up QB's finally played well so the line play is the last piece that needs to come into place for the season.
Agree offense needs to be better. But some of it is because they don't want to put anything on film for Dallas or other regular season opponents. But that having been said, the offense has not evolved under Roman and Harbaugh. They say all the right things about getting in sync, and opening up the passing game. But it does not happen. If they don't do it this year, then I have to conclude that it is a coaching/scheme/philosophy issue (and has nothing to do with personnel). Other teams with way less talent throw the ball a lot better than we do. Why ? Is Harbaugh keeping it conservative, or does Roman just not know how to scheme it up and practice it up.... Bottom line, we are not winning a Super Bowl with this offense. Not saying it to be pessimistic. But when it gets to be playoff time, and you are running for 1 or 2 yards each play due to the defenses selling out to stop the run, you need an in sync passing game to keep teams honest. If we run into Seattle again in the playoffs (which is very likely), we will lose again if we have this same conservative gameplan (of trying to force the run and rely on the defense to keep the score down). Granted we almost won like that this past year, but the difference was that Seattle could make more plays in the pass game than we could muster.
ROMAN /THREAD

Somebody get a hold of Kim and Kanye, thier babies startin inane threads on the WZ.
Originally posted by NJ49er:
Agree offense needs to be better. But some of it is because they don't want to put anything on film for Dallas or other regular season opponents. But that having been said, the offense has not evolved under Roman and Harbaugh. They say all the right things about getting in sync, and opening up the passing game. But it does not happen. If they don't do it this year, then I have to conclude that it is a coaching/scheme/philosophy issue (and has nothing to do with personnel). Other teams with way less talent throw the ball a lot better than we do. Why ? Is Harbaugh keeping it conservative, or does Roman just not know how to scheme it up and practice it up.... Bottom line, we are not winning a Super Bowl with this offense. Not saying it to be pessimistic. But when it gets to be playoff time, and you are running for 1 or 2 yards each play due to the defenses selling out to stop the run, you need an in sync passing game to keep teams honest. If we run into Seattle again in the playoffs (which is very likely), we will lose again if we have this same conservative gameplan (of trying to force the run and rely on the defense to keep the score down). Granted we almost won like that this past year, but the difference was that Seattle could make more plays in the pass game than we could muster.

Yup, 100% agree. Our Offense looks nothing like any other team, seriously. Compare our whole philosophy to Ariz or Sea and it's a complete joke, since all three of us are built the same.
Originally posted by awp8912:
Originally posted by NJ49er:

Yup, 100% agree. Our Offense looks nothing like any other team, seriously. Compare our whole philosophy to Ariz or Sea and it's a complete joke, since all three of us are built the same.

Exactly ! That's why it is so frustrating. There is no excuse for the passing game to be as bad as it is. Last year, they kept feeding us that garbage excuse about Crabs being injured and only having Boldin. But the Patriots can throw every year without any receivers. Other teams too. It is nonsense... This has nothing to do with personnel.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
We dont have Tom Brady and his game suffered with no receivers...it wasn't horrible but it suffered. I think our problem is a mixture of Kaps entire football career being under the read-option, Roman's less than stellar passing design and our O-line not holding up in pass protection. If this continues into the reg season there's no point in having Stevie Johnson or Lloyd and we wont be winning a SB unless our defense plays lights out.
[ Edited by Phil on Aug 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM ]
No Boone.
No Anthony Davis.
Harbaugh doesn't take preseason seriously.
Kap has a weird haircut.
Share 49ersWebzone