LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Cox over Culliver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know Culliver has been the starter since off-season began, but does anyone else sense Cox has been outplaying him?

I thought Cox had a nice under the radar performance today against SD, while Culliver looked shakey. All the practice reports from training camp have told a similar story; Cox has gotten his hands on a lot of passes.

I like both players and it's safe to assume both will be on the field quite a bit this season. I just see Cox as a real playmaker if given the snaps.
Cox over Culliver? I think if anything it will be Cox over Ward in the Nickel
No. There's a reason why the 49ers were willing to look past all of Culliver's issues while Cox got cut late last season. Culliver back in 2012 was one of the best CB's in the NFL during the regular season. If he performs like he's capable of, he definitely deserves to start.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Cox is just fast enough to owned by premier outside WR's.
Why is Culliver looking shakey? He miss-played a quick strike and then after that played very well and I was happy to see him back out there. He's very physical and loves to hit and plays the run well. He even knocked down...wait for it...a deep ball! He'll get better and better the more he plays.

BUT to your point, I said back before TC, Cox looks like he's going the way of Brock. Gets cut, comes back, plays terrific during the playoffs and that "switch" just seemed to come on and he's played that way ever since. He looks very good and so far, this pre season, he's making my assessment true (which is a great thing)!
Culliver looked fine. Made some nice plays in coverage. Could have done a better job closing on the short checkdowns a couple times, but otherwise has been solid.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Why is Culliver looking shakey? He miss-played a quick strike and then after that played very well and I was happy to see him back out there. He's very physical and loves to hit and plays the run well. He even knocked down...wait for it...a deep ball! He'll get better and better the more he plays.

BUT to your point, I said back before TC, Cox looks like he's going the way of Brock. Gets cut, comes back, plays terrific during the playoffs and that "switch" just seemed to come on and he's played that way ever since. He looks very good and so far, this pre season, he's making my assessment true (which is a great thing)!

This. Brock and Culliver are the starting CBs and Ward is the nickle. Cox looks the part of #3 outside CB, the corners on this team are a lot better than people think, the DB as a whole will be w/Bethea on the field at SS as well.
Originally posted by matt49er:
This. Brock and Culliver are the starting CBs and Ward is the nickle. Cox looks the part of #3 outside CB, the corners on this team are a lot better than people think, the DB as a whole will be w/Bethea on the field at SS as well.

That's why Wright retired
@ PUNT RETURN .

Culliver's Cox!!
  • thl408
I mentioned Cully as one of the 'losers' in the winner/loser thread because I thought he missed two tackle opportunities that came his way. One on the slant, which he did miss as he came downhill and took a poor angle, then another where Aikman singled him out. Watching that play again where Aikman singled him out, it was Ward with the blown assignment. Cully had good coverage on the one deep ball that came his way.
CULLY AND WARD IS SOME BIG TIME BALLERS
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for daraceto6.
^ he went for a pick in one of those misses, in preseason, getting your int timing seems the right time, on another note I saw a video with matt calling brock the best cb and he is aggressive to the ball too, the cuts are going to hurt, and who was the guy who laid out that receiver?
Originally posted by daraceto6:
^ he went for a pick in one of those misses, in preseason, getting your int timing seems the right time, on another note I saw a video with matt calling brock the best cb and he is aggressive to the ball too, the cuts are going to hurt, and who was the guy who laid out that receiver?

Yea that's why I'm not worried about those missed tackles on the flat reciever. One he was like 10 yards off and nearly managed to jump the route. Two it's the preseason so if he's going to miss that tackle now would be the time. Things like that are correctable. You just tell him not to cut the pass and push through the receiver. Probably cause a fumble and BS flag but ya know.

I honestly like Cox at nickle because he's been really good in run support. Seattle aint going to have s**t at #3 WR but they will still try to spread us out and thats when having a guy like Cox and Ward really works to your benefit because they really have a nose for the runner and they rarely miss a tackle.

Cully over Cox aint going to happen tho. Cully is probably the best outside corner on the team right now. He's going to be on the #1 I feel. Cox can't handle a #1 and Brocks aggressive style is more suited for the #2.
Share 49ersWebzone