LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Logically, Gabbert's salary justifies NOTHING

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, ok. This isn't meant to add irrational fuel to the anti-Gabbert fire, but I'm getting tired of hearing how his $2 million salary is the reason why he's guaranteed to be the backup. Granted Johnson and McBLT haven't separated themselves, but should that happen against SD or Houston, Blaine's gotta go. Why? Well, other than adding to the "he sucks" chorus, let's keep it financial, since that's all that seems to matter:

The difference between Gabbert and the other backups is approximately $600k. THATS IT. Either pay $2 million and have a beyond shaky backup option or pay $2.6 million to cut dead weight and have a backup you feel SLIGHTLY better about.

This is not a bank breaking decision and should stop being reported as such. 49ers' management made a mistake trading for Gabbert, like they did by releasing Marcus Cooper last year. Not the end of the world, just recognize it and move on.

I'm rooting for Josh Johnson. He's more dynamic and athletic, which I think leaves more of the playbook viable. Plus the running ability. Either way, McBLT will be on the practice squad.

Now watch Gabbert absolutely light up San Diego...

Blake_Fever
It's is salary and a pick invested...that's why silly wabbit

Another hint is that he hasn't lost his 2nd string position
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM ]
Still not a good enough reason. It's like throwing good money after bad. Literally.

And teams generally don't "invest" 6th round picks. They're usually backup, fringe
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Still not a good enough reason. It's like throwing good money after bad. Literally.

And teams generally don't "invest" 6th round picks. They're usually backup, fringe

It's not a good reason, we all agree and see what's on the field.... but it's going to happen.
This reminds me of the AJ Jenkins situation, they won't eat cap room to please a fan base. They will trade him if they can, but he won't be cut, would be a dumb move.
How long might he play tommorow?
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
How long might he play tommorow?

Two qtrs...I think JH has seen enough injuries and will be cautious with Kaep
  • buck
  • Veteran
We need more Gabbert threads!!!!!!

Share 49ersWebzone