LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Which combination of WR do you think should (not will) make the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thanks, DeUh! Awesome. I think Patton is going to be the real thing.
It will be -

Crabtree
Boldin
Johnson

Then these three will be the fourth receivers or the rotational guys intermixing with a combination of the top three.

Lloyd (at beginning of the season he will be the first to come off the bench)
Ellington
Patton

and Osgood if no other core special teamers arise in other positions. I can see it being, like last year, that Osgood gets cut but then resigned during the season cause of injury.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
I think Patton is on the bubble. The only thing he has going for him is that he is Kap's buddy. That wasn't enough to keep Ricardo Lockette around, though.
Originally posted by deepniner:
I think if we keep 5 WRs it should be
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Ellington & Osgood

and if we keep 6 WRs it should be
Crabtree, Boldin, Lloyd, Patton, Ellington & Osgood

Locks:

Crabs
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington

Bubble:
Lloyd
Osgood

It comes down to whether we feel Lloyd is more important than Osgood. It is a close call. It depends largely on what kind of offense we are running. We came out with 5 WR at one point last Sunday I believe.

I think we keep Lloyd. We still feel the burn from last year's injuries and lack of WR depth. We don't want to go through that again.
New players, like Borland, Lynch, Hyde etc, can fill in on special teams.
Originally posted by ethan:
I think Patton is on the bubble. The only thing he has going for him is that he is Kap's buddy. That wasn't enough to keep Ricardo Lockette around, though.

The only thing? When did Lockette ever make anything like the two plays DeUh showed above?
Originally posted by ethan:

Patton is not on the bubble this year. Maybe next year if he does not show any improvement. His rookie year was marred by injury, the coaches know this and have addressed in in the media sessions. When he came back, though it be only a few, he showed that he can potentially contribute when he is healthy. This is why the 49ers will be patient for one more season, at least, with him.
When did Ricardo Lockette ever make a clutch play like this for the Niners?

Answer: NEVER

So why would any Niner fan in their right mind compare Patton to Ricardo Lockette?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think Harbaugh built Lockette up too much prior to the season, and that's because of his speed.. that is one thing that Lockette has, pure speed.. then he became a close friend of Kap, worked out together, even took Patton within, but he just couldn't be that route runner that he needed to be in order to make the team.

in the end, Harbaugh had to let him go because Roman rarely throws deep balls anyways.

Remember when Lockette showed off his speed in the NFC championship game and hit LeMichael James and injured him?

bottom line, Lloyd needs to go.. Patton is gonna be a star similar to Steve Smith if he can stay healthy...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Locks:

Crabs
Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington

Bubble:
Lloyd
Osgood

It comes down to whether we feel Lloyd is more important than Osgood. It is a close call. It depends largely on what kind of offense we are running. We came out with 5 WR at one point last Sunday I believe.

I think we keep Lloyd. We still feel the burn from last year's injuries and lack of WR depth. We don't want to go through that again.
New players, like Borland, Lynch, Hyde etc, can fill in on special teams.

This. Lloyd is a better receiver, but can't block nor play special teams, so even if we keep him, he might well not be active. Osgood is a great special teamer, but a poor receiver, and I just think we're too talented now to use a roster spot for essentially a special teamer only. Patton and Ellington have been playing special teams and looking good this pre season both on offense and special teams. Patton looks to be a really good blocker and quick receiver, and Ellington a good receiver and returner. I think Osgood is out, and Lloyd is on the bubble depending on whether we keep six or five. If we keep him, it's primarily for receiver injury insurance.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Aug 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM ]

I just don't see how u guys can say they cut osgood do u remember last season when they cut him for a couple games and are st kinda sucked then they brought him back and we had a boss st I see. 1.crabtree 2.boldon 3.sj 4.brandon 5.patton 6. Ellington 7. Osgood st only
Originally posted by nc49erfan:
I just don't see how u guys can say they cut osgood do u remember last season when they cut him for a couple games and are st kinda sucked then they brought him back and we had a boss st I see. 1.crabtree 2.boldon 3.sj 4.brandon 5.patton 6. Ellington 7. Osgood st only

No doubt Osgood is very valuable on special teams. If they only plan on activating 5 WRs on gameday like last year, it's hard to see the team keeping 7 WRs. That would mean two of the following would be inactive (Lloyd, Patton, Ellington).

However, if they truly plan on using more WRs this year, they could choose to keep 7 and activate 6 on gameday.
Either Osgood, Patton & Lloyd are on the bubble imo the others have something to offer in this team its going down to the stretch
I don't mind keeping a ton of receivers if they get more than 3 catches a game.

I think Crabs is going to stay and I think he will have a strong season to justify paying him, Johnson? Of course, Quan, Patton and that is all i care about at that point.

It isn't like there are a ton of balls to go around. Not with Roman here.
Calm down kids, I was joking, relax. Obviously Crabtree isn't making the team.
Share 49ersWebzone