LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Which combination of WR do you think should (not will) make the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
deepniner: "I could be convinced of keeping Johnson over Lloyd. But based on what we've been hearing through camp, it seems like Lloyd has actually out-performed Johnson and thus deserves to be on the team over SJ. Sad, since it would have been nice to keep SJ."

Stevie Johnson blocks, he has three thousand yard seasons in the last four years, he's five years younger than Lloyd, he's much more of a YAC threat, he's produced against Revis and he's produced against Sherman as the above video clearly shows. They've also made a commitment to Johnson.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
You OP have to be on crack cocaine. You think we would cut Johnson over Lloyd who is 5 years younger, signed for longer, and arguably more talented as an overall receiver and blocker.

Lol this

This thread is stupid
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
You guys DO realize they only kept 5 wide receivers on their starting 53-man roster last year, right? They were keeping a place for Crabtree to be the sixth.

Yes, on the initial 53 roster we only kept 5 WR but that quickly changed IIRC.

Week 1 vs GB
1. Anquan Boldin
2. Kyle Williams
3. Marlon Moore
4. Quinton Patton
5. Jon Baldwin
6. Chris Harper (signed September 2)

Week 2 vs Seattle
1. Anquan Boldin
2. Kyle Williams
3. Marlon Moore
4. Quinton Patton
5. Jon Baldwin
6. Chris Harper
7. Kassim Osgood (signed September 11)

I could very well see something similar happen this year.

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Anquan Boldin
3. Stevie Johnson
4. Brandon Lloyd
5. Bruce Ellington
6. Quinton Patton

+ Kassim Osgood after Dorsey is placed on IR / Designated To Return (Dorsey has to be on the 53 to do so)

Side note: Michael Crabtree was placed on Reserve / PUP. He did not count against the roster.
^^^ Thanks for the clarification. I completely forgot about Harper and Osgood added later. No matter how it shakes out, however, this year's receiving corps is going to look a heck of a lot better. That's pretty clear.
Originally posted by thl408:
I want it to be this. SJ is making this roster. IMO, he's the biggest offseason acquisition in the NFC West. It's time for one of Morris, Spillman, Ward to step up as ST gunner and get Osgood off the team. I think I'm okay with a step down from the gunner position in exchange for some added depth at the CB (Morris) or WR (Lloyd) position.

I tend to agree. A gunner loss hurts. But come on we have 4 legit receiver. And it feels good to have 4 legit receivers. Way more important than
a gunner. Morris is ready to step up anyways on being the gunner.
And Morris is the fastest player on the team so he should be a great gunner.
I think the most likely scenario is that we go with 6 receivers and Osgood doesnt make the team. However, I'll only be happy w/ that scenario if Greg Roman really opens up the offense and uses three and four receivers and Kap learns to throw to them. Otherwise, I think that Osgood would have more of an impact, considering his contributions last year.
BTW - the comments about Steve Johnson having 3 1000yard receiving seasons have little bearing in my mind, considering that GR hasnt shown a propensity or the ability to know how to throw to more than 2 receivers and Kap hasnt shown the ability in finding those receivers.
  • thl408
I have the top 6 WRs (pass catchers) being: Crabs, Boldin, SJ, Lloyd, Patton, Ellington. Whether Osgood makes the team depends on a few factors imo.

- Can anyone else besides Spillman play gunner on the punt return unit? Morris had time at gunner last season. The team is trying Ward there this preseason. I don't know how he's performed. If there is negligible drop off going from Osgood to Morris, then Osgood is in trouble.
- Is Patton better than Lloyd in the 14-15 season? If the answer is yes, Lloyd gets cut and Osgood's chances of making the team increases.
- How good are the young CBs (Morris, Acker) on the team, and will they be claimed if exposed to waivers? I have DJohnson making the roster.
- The other crowded position is LB and how that shakes out can play a role in determining how many WRs can be kept.
Originally posted by deepniner:
And get rid of whom? Unless you think we're going to keep 7 receivers. If you think its Osgood, then I disagree, because I think from a contribution point of view, he would be more valuable than Johnson or Lloyd given our prior offensive philosophies.

BTW - note I said should instead of will in the question

And this is why you're not a GM. You don't invest a pick and take on a contract for the next 3 years just to cut him before the regular season starts.

Finally, in the first time of the Harbaugh era we have a solid, worthy #3 WR option that the FO has invested in which could signal a change in philosophy, adding more emphasis on the #3 WR (more 3 WR sets).

Osgood is a beast ST gunner but he adds very little as a receiver and he's 6+ years older than Stevie (27).
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lloyd really has to go.... if we keep him, then he'll have more playing time than both Patton and Ellington.

I would understand more if we didn't the younger guys, but both Patton and Ellington can play.

Patton's skills is one of the reason why we got rid of that #10 (Williams) last year. Patton is a very very good receiver.. I see him being out #2 guy once Boldin retires.

As for Lloyd, we already someone (Johnson) that can do what he does. Sure, Lloyd had an awesome year in Denver, but what did he do at New England? did he not sign w/ the Rams as well??

Originally posted by Phil:
You need to stop. Stevie Johnson is making this team.

And get rid of whom? Unless you think we're going to keep 7 receivers. If you think its Osgood, then I disagree, because I think from a contribution point of view, he would be more valuable than Johnson or Lloyd given our prior offensive philosophies.

BTW - note I said should instead of will in the question

Osgood did not make the team last year for the original 53 man roster. We brought him back after week 2.

If you think we gave up a 4th round pick for Johnson just to cut him you are crazy brah.
I think the most likely scenario is that we go with 6 receivers and Osgood doesnt make the team. However, I'll only be happy w/ that scenario if Greg Roman really opens up the offense and uses three and four receivers and Kap learns to throw to them. Otherwise, I think that Osgood would have more of an impact, considering his contributions last year.
BTW - the comments about Steve Johnson having 3 1000yard receiving seasons have little bearing in my mind, considering that GR hasnt shown a propensity or the ability to know how to throw to more than 2 receivers and Kap hasnt shown the ability in finding those receivers.

Could people just stop with this nonsense about Kaepernick finding receivers? When has Kaepernick had the opportunity to find three good receivers? His completion percentages are up in the 60's when he has two - Boldin and Crabtree (at 80% health). And I get the impression from some people that they haven't actually been paying attention to the few times we've seen him this year in preseason. His eyes have been all over the field.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
You OP have to be on crack cocaine. You think we would cut Johnson over Lloyd who is 5 years younger, signed for longer, and arguably more talented as an overall receiver and blocker.

Lol this

This thread is stupid

f**king stupid.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
^^^ Thanks for the clarification. I completely forgot about Harper and Osgood added later. No matter how it shakes out, however, this year's receiving corps is going to look a heck of a lot better. That's pretty clear.

Yes !
  • thl408
OP, you shouldn't determine who the better WR is based off of camp reports. I see you stated that Lloyd be kept over SJ because of the lack of positive reports from camp regarding SJ. Look at the body of work that SJ has put together in the past 4 seasons as well as the skillset he will bring to the offense. He is a man coverage buster all by himself, and excels at winning at the line of scrimmage to beat press alignment. This will be valuable against SEA and ARI.
Share 49ersWebzone