LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Which combination of WR do you think should (not will) make the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Keep:

Crab
Lloyd
Reed (showed great skill set)
Washington (showed great speed)
Wylie
Osgood

Cut:

Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington (bust)

This.

this for sure

def if playing madden

I can't wait for the New Madden but with last years, I put Johnson on the niners and he catches most balls thrown his way. In fact he's converted alot of 3rd downs for me. Based on that....he's gonna be awesome this season . Because you know how they play in Madden directly reflects real life.
BleedsRed, when you are my age, everybody is a kid.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
BleedsRed, when you are my age, everybody is a kid.

lol.
Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton & Ellington

I think they keep 6 and Patton will not be active much on game days. I think LMJ gets traded and Ellington will take over return duties and be active on game day. As good as he is they can't keep Osgood for just special teams. Also, I think Lloyd will make the team and if Osgood makes it to it would be hard to have both Lloyd and Osgood active on game day so Osgood is the odd man out because it makes no since to keep Lloyd just to be inactive.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I just never understood the Lloyd signing..

Crabb; Bolding; Johnson; Patton; Ellington & Osgood (special team needs him)
It's simple. Crabtree,Boldin,Johnson,Lloyd,Patton,Ellington. Any other combo is just crazy.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton & Ellington

I think they keep 6 and Patton will not be active much on game days. I think LMJ gets traded and Ellington will take over return duties and be active on game day. As good as he is they can't keep Osgood for just special teams. Also, I think Lloyd will make the team and if Osgood makes it to it would be hard to have both Lloyd and Osgood active on game day so Osgood is the odd man out because it makes no since to keep Lloyd just to be inactive.

I agree with your keep list, but with Hunter out, I no longer beleive LMJ is going anywhere. There is an outside chance mid season if Lattimore gets on the field and looks good....but I doubt it. As to Osgood I think with Costanzo going down he now stands a better chance of sticking, but if he does it will as one of the two special teams "keeps" that we see most years, not technically as a reciever. Even then I think it is 50/50 as we have a lot of young corners and LB's who are hungry to prove themselves in special teams rolls.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Depth man, if the last could seasons have taught us anything you need more than two guys at the start of the season that know what the hell their doing out there.
Threads like these make me so glad we are way past the Tim Rattay and Cedrik Wilson/Jonnie Morton days.
SJ is a lock....you don't give up what we gave up and control his salary at a relatively reseasonable level to cut before even playing a regular season game.

If Lloyd has played himself on to this team it will probably be at the expense of osgood.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM ]

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
keeping:

Crabs
Boldin
Johnson
Ellington
Patton
Lloyd
Osgood

all the other scrubs getting cut.
1. Crabtree - Will return, if not will be better than 2012 form.
2. Boldin - The guy will have another big season, It doesn't get much better than Boldin.
3. Johnson - What a luxury to have Johnson as your 3rd WR, and 4th/5th option in your passing attack.
4. Lloyd - DEPTH. Should anyone miss time, Lloyd will be ready to contribute.
5. Ellington - I am VERY impressed so far. The guy can catch anything around him, and is very agile in the return game.
6. Patton - Quiet so far, especially with Ellington getting attention early on. I still like Pattons upside.
You guys DO realize they only kept 5 wide receivers on their starting 53-man roster last year, right? They were keeping a place for Crabtree to be the sixth. And if memory serves, they dropped one of the WR's when they got Crabtree back. The point is that I don't see them keeping more than six on the 53-man roster and I don't see them usually suiting up more than four counting Ellington who will play special teams. They have three TE's who catch passes and Bruce Miller figures to catch a lot of passes as well.

This is why I think Lloyd's position is tenuous.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by 9moon:

Depth man, if the last could seasons have taught us anything you need more than two guys at the start of the season that know what the hell their doing out there.

Cheap depth for that matter. Lloyd signed for the vet minimum if I remember correctly. So why the hell not? As good as he's been in TC and all the reports, the niners go a complete steal AND they traded for Johnson.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
You guys DO realize they only kept 5 wide receivers on their starting 53-man roster last year, right? They were keeping a place for Crabtree to be the sixth. And if memory serves, they dropped one of the WR's when they got Crabtree back. The point is that I don't see them keeping more than six on the 53-man roster and I don't see them usually suiting up more than four counting Ellington who will play special teams. They have three TE's who catch passes and Bruce Miller figures to catch a lot of passes as well.

This is why I think Lloyd's position is tenuous.

Last years depth and this years depth......completely different scenarios.
Share 49ersWebzone