There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which combination of WR do you think should (not will) make the team?

I think if we keep 5 WRs it should be
Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Ellington & Osgood

and if we keep 6 WRs it should be
Crabtree, Boldin, Lloyd, Patton, Ellington & Osgood

Although I gather that Osgood is only a special teams player, I think his value is higher than a 4th or 5th WR at the moment, since we hardly play with 4 or 5 WRs on a play and he'll see the field more, thus being able to contribute more especially considering his skill set.

Furthermore, I believe that we should go with only four RBs, Gore, Hyde, Miller and Tukuafu and two QBs since there are no QBs to develop at the moment and we're already screwed as it is w/ the backup QB situation. That would allow us to keep six WRs.

I could be convinced of keeping Johnson over Lloyd. But based on what we've been hearing through camp, it seems like Lloyd has actually out-performed Johnson and thus deserves to be on the team over SJ. Sad, since it would have been nice to keep SJ.

Ellington clearly has shown his value, so should be kept. However, I'm not sure about Patton vs. Johnson. I'd lean towards Patton, since camp reports have shown him showing more energy and he has the higher up-side long term.
[ Edited by deepniner on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:51 AM ]
after Lloyd almost beat Talib for a long TD, I'm hoping we keep him around, he only missed that TD grab by a few inches, not bad for our #4 WR against their #1 CB
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
after Lloyd almost beat Talib for a long TD, I'm hoping we keep him around, he only missed that TD grab by a few inches, not bad for our #4 WR against their #1 CB

yeah I agree. btw - that should have been a penalty.
Only 2 rb's and no Stevie Johnson? I'll pass on that
Keep:

Crab
Lloyd
Reed (showed great skill set)
Washington (showed great speed)
Wylie
Osgood

Cut:

Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington (bust)
We're keeping 6 WR. After last season, Harbs won't take any chances.

It will be Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Ellington and Patton

It's a shame that Patton isn't showing anything this preseason. He's one of those in-the-middle receivers (not tall, not particularly fast). The problem is that we have three of them. Patton is faster than Brandon Lloyd, so I'm not sure why he wasn't targeted for the long bomb.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Keep:

Crab
Lloyd
Wylie
Osgood

Cut:

Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington (bust)

This.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I stopped reading when you didn't include Stevie. You're way off base if you think he won't be on the 53.

....and after curiosity got the best of me to finish reading, I pray this is satirical in nature. Because the 6 ers that should make the roster are the 6 that will.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by deepniner:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

yeah I agree. btw - that should have been a penalty.

yup ..Lloyd clearly had him beat
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Keep:

Crab
Lloyd
Wylie
Osgood

Cut:

Boldin
Johnson
Patton
Ellington (bust)

This.

this for sure
Seriously, some of you cutting Johnson? I know he may not have shown much in preseason but I gaurantee he'll be an asset during the regular season and possibly the playoffs.

Lloyd is a definite keeper. He burned Talib on that "could have been" a TD. Had it been a TD, this wouldn't even be discussed. Lloyd still has the speed and hands and the fact that he won't be playing every down (like Johnson) he will be fresh through out games. If there's ever a time Crabs/Boldin come out for a breather and Johnson/Lloyd take their place, I am cool with that.

Crabs
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington
WTF?

Johnson will and should make the roster. L. James will and should make the roster unless Lattimore get's healthy real fast.

Based on our depth at both WR and RB, I am extremely confident that we will keep 6 WRs, 5 RBs, 2 QBs, 3 TEs, and 8 OL.
so many new 49ers fans, so little time
Originally posted by blm7754:
WTF?

Johnson will and should make the roster. L. James will and should make the roster unless Lattimore get's healthy real fast.

Based on our depth at both WR and RB, I am extremely confident that we will keep 6 WRs, 5 RBs, 2 QBs, 3 TEs, and 8 OL.

I think we keep 4 RB's and 3 QB's (at least through the 1st half of the season). How can you count Gabbert to be the primary back-up? He's shown nothing to be it and with his $2 million gauranteed I don't think the niners will just cut him. They HAVE TO keep johnson on the roster just in-case. Maybe after 5 or 6 games when, hopefully, Gabbert has had more time with the 1's in practice, maybe cut Johnson and bring back another RB or OL. If Boone comes back, big IF, they'll need make room for him anyway.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Seriously, some of you cutting Johnson? I know he may not have shown much in preseason but I gaurantee he'll be an asset during the regular season and possibly the playoffs.

Lloyd is a definite keeper. He burned Talib on that "could have been" a TD. Had it been a TD, this wouldn't even be discussed. Lloyd still has the speed and hands and the fact that he won't be playing every down (like Johnson) he will be fresh through out games. If there's ever a time Crabs/Boldin come out for a breather and Johnson/Lloyd take their place, I am cool with that.

Crabs
Boldin
Johnson
Lloyd
Patton
Ellington

I want it to be this. SJ is making this roster. IMO, he's the biggest offseason acquisition in the NFC West. It's time for one of Morris, Spillman, Ward to step up as ST gunner and get Osgood off the team. I think I'm okay with a step down from the gunner position in exchange for some added depth at the CB (Morris) or WR (Lloyd) position.