LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

the 49ers sad sod

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ubaisore:
wow.... there is a LOT of misinformation here. The sod was not cheap (read that early in the thread). This is a turf that has gone into many fields and has done well. The install was good as well. The biggest issue they had was the incorrect drainage they had before the sod went in. They had to get another type of sand brought in. This grass heals itself quickly and will be fine. They are still working out using it on such a regular basis (it was covered the day I took a tour).

The biggest improvement we will notice over candlestick is that it will drain when the rain comes and it wont be a slick surface like we got later in the year.. It usually takes a bit to get turf maintenance perfected at a new site. They will be using various fertilizers and watering to find the sweet spot. They put in a nice system that used sensors for moisture, ph and salinity. You just cant make overnight changes. Don't worry, it will be fine very soon...it is not a long term issue

That's great, but you didn't provide an explanation for what went wrong. You are just saying it will be "fine." Which is great news.
However, "What happened to the field to get it into this terrible condition?" People would love love to know.

Are you saying everything was handled properly? If "yes." Then what happened?

Well he did kind of say they had problem with the sand and drainage dude. Geez making it sound like he didn't say anything but it will be fine. We got some real politicians in here sometimes.

People only want short answers that put the blame on a single individual or group of people so it's easier to point fingers and complain. They don't want a detailed explanation rooted in fact and sciencey stuff that goes way beyond their attention span.

It's a Twitter world.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
People only want short answers that put the blame on a single individual or group of people so it's easier to point fingers and complain. They don't want a detailed explanation rooted in fact and sciencey stuff that goes way beyond their attention span.

It's a Twitter world.

TLDR!
This thread is going nine pages strong, guys, with tons of updates, and expert CNN quality opinions from 50 different sod experts, former high school groundskeepers, and some guy who "worked in the Green House for 20 years of his entire life", and probably f**ked his quad up Kevin Nash style laying some sod out for Axel Rose, and had to miss his daughter's 14th Birthday, which most likely made her hate him forever, and marry "Little Jessy" down at the Bi-Mart department store.

This is more intense than the Ferguson thread in the Parking Lot. This is it guys, we're staring into the f**king abyss.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Glad to see they're resoding the whole playing surface as apposed to just the middle of the field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This thread is going nine pages strong, guys, with tons of updates, and expert CNN quality opinions from 50 different sod experts, former high school groundskeepers, and some guy who "worked in the Green House for 20 years of his entire life", and probably f**ked his quad up Kevin Nash style laying some sod out for Axel Rose, and had to miss his daughter's 14th Birthday, which most likely made her hate him forever, and marry "Little Jessy" down at the Bi-Mart department store.

This is more intense than the Ferguson thread in the Parking Lot. This is it guys, we're staring into the f**king abyss.
well i did meltdown on this yesterday as pre season would not be pre season if i did not have one meltdown.. but really i was and am still pissed something major like this happens in a brand new stadium and it took the team a while to figure it out, almost at the expense of two wide outs getting hurt. you are trying to get ready for a tough season ahead and the last thing you need is this type of thing. i am now ready for joe joe the monkey boy janitor to cross the wires on the lights and they go out during a night game in the future, stuff like to much head on the beer out of the tap or no toilet paper in the womens rest rooms are the little things you have to deal with in a new facility, not this stuff in my opinion
Worse case scenario;

Niners would have to re-sod every other home game all season. Nothin to a bawse.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Worse case scenario;

Niners would have to re-sod every other home game all season. Nothin to a bawse.

That is done in all stadiums I don't see the big deal
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

RT @mattbarrows: My colleague @sacbee_joed has learned that next week's high school games at Levi's Stadium are now off. #49ers
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami

Closer view of the Levi's field right now

I wasn't involved in the maintenance, but my guess is that the NPK that was delivered for fertilization leeched out more quickly because of the great drainage... I saw calcined clay there about a week ago which is commonly used to hold (and then release) moisture as well as letting some of the fertilizers stick to it. Grass is amazingly resilient and the type of turf they chose is the best at that. Again, it takes time to learn how each specific filed/microzone reacts to different treatments. Some would not be put to the test until it was used (soccer game). Then it takes a few weeks to see results. If you want to buy me a beer we can go into root depth, mychorrizae, etc :)

Get out of here with your calm, reasoned facts! We only like panic and paranoia 'round these parts!

Originally posted by BrianGO:
wow.... there is a LOT of misinformation here. The sod was not cheap (read that early in the thread). This is a turf that has gone into many fields and has done well. The install was good as well. The biggest issue they had was the incorrect drainage they had before the sod went in. They had to get another type of sand brought in. This grass heals itself quickly and will be fine. They are still working out using it on such a regular basis (it was covered the day I took a tour).

The biggest improvement we will notice over candlestick is that it will drain when the rain comes and it wont be a slick surface like we got later in the year.. It usually takes a bit to get turf maintenance perfected at a new site. They will be using various fertilizers and watering to find the sweet spot. They put in a nice system that used sensors for moisture, ph and salinity. You just cant make overnight changes. Don't worry, it will be fine very soon...it is not a long term issue

That's great, but you didn't provide an explanation for what went wrong. You are just saying it will be "fine." Which is great news.
However, "What happened to the field to get it into this terrible condition?" People would love love to know.

Are you saying everything was handled properly? If "yes." Then what happened?

The base soil root reflection coefficient was not properly calculated resulting in a negative root growth coefficient...

Its not rocket science dude.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Aug 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

RT @mattbarrows: My colleague @sacbee_joed has learned that next week's high school games at Levi's Stadium are now off. #49ers

man could you imagine how disappointed these high school kids must be.
They'd be more disappointed to blow out a knee. Life has hiccups sometimes. They'll get over it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
I wasn't involved in the maintenance, but my guess is that the NPK that was delivered for fertilization leeched out more quickly because of the great drainage... I saw calcined clay there about a week ago which is commonly used to hold (and then release) moisture as well as letting some of the fertilizers stick to it. Grass is amazingly resilient and the type of turf they chose is the best at that. Again, it takes time to learn how each specific filed/microzone reacts to different treatments. Some would not be put to the test until it was used (soccer game). Then it takes a few weeks to see results. If you want to buy me a beer we can go into root depth, mychorrizae, etc :)

Get out of here with your calm, reasoned facts! We only like panic and paranoia 'round these parts!

you were not worried when this incident almost hurt two of our wide outs?
Originally posted by cciowa:
you were not worried when this incident almost hurt two of our wide outs?

Not really. Things didn't turn out as expected, and they're rectifying the situation. I don't have time to get worked up about these things. Everyone wants compelling narratives and people to blame and heads to roll, etc. The world is more indifferent than that in reality; people like to think they can control every miniscule detail, but, hey, sometimes something like sod doesn't grow/take hold like it's expected to. Move forward. Something didn't turn out as expected, and measures are being taken. Why get stressed out over that?
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone