There are 245 users in the forums

the 49ers sad sod

Shop Find 49ers gear online
wow.... there is a LOT of misinformation here. The sod was not cheap (read that early in the thread). This is a turf that has gone into many fields and has done well. The install was good as well. The biggest issue they had was the incorrect drainage they had before the sod went in. They had to get another type of sand brought in. This grass heals itself quickly and will be fine. They are still working out using it on such a regular basis (it was covered the day I took a tour).

The biggest improvement we will notice over candlestick is that it will drain when the rain comes and it wont be a slick surface like we got later in the year.. It usually takes a bit to get turf maintenance perfected at a new site. They will be using various fertilizers and watering to find the sweet spot. They put in a nice system that used sensors for moisture, ph and salinity. You just cant make overnight changes. Don't worry, it will be fine very soon...it is not a long term issue
Originally posted by ubaisore:
wow.... there is a LOT of misinformation here. The sod was not cheap (read that early in the thread). This is a turf that has gone into many fields and has done well. The install was good as well. The biggest issue they had was the incorrect drainage they had before the sod went in. They had to get another type of sand brought in. This grass heals itself quickly and will be fine. They are still working out using it on such a regular basis (it was covered the day I took a tour).

The biggest improvement we will notice over candlestick is that it will drain when the rain comes and it wont be a slick surface like we got later in the year.. It usually takes a bit to get turf maintenance perfected at a new site. They will be using various fertilizers and watering to find the sweet spot. They put in a nice system that used sensors for moisture, ph and salinity. You just cant make overnight changes. Don't worry, it will be fine very soon...it is not a long term issue

sweet deal

Jeez - do you work at the company that put in the sod or something? Feels like one of those Yelp reviews that are obviously written by a someone at the company they are reviewing...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Maybe it's not being able to water as much as needed because of the drought.

+ all the "ice bucket challenges"...
LVJay I'm here on a Thursday evening watching the jap women's volleyball team as I munch on soba, edamame & karaage... fookin' 'ell that still won't help to grow tha grass dat huge tiited girls teased me on Memorial Day!

What, no sake?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Bammer grass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIMzpAanmks
Originally posted by Existence:
Jeez - do you work at the company that put in the sod or something? Feels like one of those Yelp reviews that are obviously written by a someone at the company they are reviewing...

You should put on your foil hat.... :)

I work in the landscape industry and (if you look at past threads) I sold the controller for this project. I was there after someone didn't mark the temporary power 220 and hooked up this 110 controller... I work with commercial landscapers and am considered somewhat of an expert on water conservation and irrigation. I just couldn't stand seeing all the rampant misinformation
Originally posted by Existence:

You should put on your foil hat.... :)

I work in the landscape industry and (if you look at past threads) I sold the controller for this project. I was there after someone didn't mark the temporary power 220 and hooked up this 110 controller... I work with commercial landscapers and am considered somewhat of an expert on water conservation and irrigation. I just couldn't stand seeing all the rampant misinformation

We like misinformation around these parts boy! Now lemme watch my fox news in peace.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
We like misinformation around these parts boy! Now lemme watch my fox news in peace.

LMAOPIMP
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Read an article today were the company that installed would not make any comments. A sure sign they know someone screwed up somewhere during install.

They're most definitely trying to CYA
something

that something could be the team groundskeepers

The company didn't comment because the Niners requested that the ability to comment be left solely with the 49ers.

That's great, but you didn't provide an explanation for what went wrong. You are just saying it will be "fine." Which is great news.
However, "What happened to the field to get it into this terrible condition?" People would love love to know.

Are you saying everything was handled properly? If "yes." Then what happened?

Originally posted by LVJay:

What, no sake?

sake's overrated...chuhais FTW
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

What, no sake?

sake's overrated...chuhais FTW

Real? Kewl, I'll try some this weekend (if we got any here)... only in can doe (no glass)

Is it good for grass too
Originally posted by BrianGO:
That's great, but you didn't provide an explanation for what went wrong. You are just saying it will be "fine." Which is great news.
However, "What happened to the field to get it into this terrible condition?" People would love love to know.

I wasn't involved in the maintenance, but my guess is that the NPK that was delivered for fertilization leeched out more quickly because of the great drainage... I saw calcined clay there about a week ago which is commonly used to hold (and then release) moisture as well as letting some of the fertilizers stick to it. Grass is amazingly resilient and the type of turf they chose is the best at that. Again, it takes time to learn how each specific filed/microzone reacts to different treatments. Some would not be put to the test until it was used (soccer game). Then it takes a few weeks to see results. If you want to buy me a beer we can go into root depth, mychorrizae, etc :)

Well he did kind of say they had problem with the sand and drainage dude. Geez making it sound like he didn't say anything but it will be fine. We got some real politicians in here sometimes.

I think everything was fine until all these large heavy men trod all over the field wearing upon the soles of their shoes - what do you call them?

Oh yes - cleats.
Share 49ersWebzone