There are 291 users in the forums

the 49ers sad sod

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Maybe they still have this old turf laying around for temporary use?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
I was at a college 20 years ago when they put in new, high-end grass. We couldn't set foot on it for 2 months. Man, that grass was amazing; nice cusion, tough, smooth surface. Just awesome. Wish I could remember the name of that specialized grass.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Derek Togerson ‏@DerekNBCSD

McCoy says the #Chargers have talked to the #49ers and been assured the turf at Levi's Stadium will be fine come Sunday.
It could always be worse, we could be opening this stadium up in Hunter's Point, imagine rooting grass in that toxic dump. -The melting dude from RoboCop would be sauntering around at halftime every other game.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It could always be worse, we could be opening this stadium up in Hunter's Point, imagine rooting grass in that toxic dump. -The melting dude from RoboCop would be sauntering around at halftime every other game.

LOL!
We just went from #9 to 11th on Forbes' list because of this....
A classic case of "If it works, Don't fix it!" Why didn't they try out this new grass on a practice field first?

Usually when there's something new, you would try it out first BEFORE you put it into a real application. Kinda Dumb don't you think?

What if this EXPERIMENTATION that went wrong causes enough injuries to affect the season?

Now they have to re-sod with something known to work, but is it too late for the new sod to be effective?
I can assure you if they rip the sod up after the two high school games it will only be marginal for the home opener and there is still a soccer game scheduled for the 6th of September. If I were in charge all other events would be canceled after the Chargers preseason game and would redo the sod Monday the 25th giving the sod about 19 days as it is now the sod will have about 14 days with a soccer game after 6 days. With all the events planned at Levis there are no long stints allowing the field to get rooted properly. I see this as a problem the rest of the season.
Originally posted by xcfan:
I was at a college 20 years ago when they put in new, high-end grass. We couldn't set foot on it for 2 months. Man, that grass was amazing; nice cusion, tough, smooth surface. Just awesome. Wish I could remember the name of that specialized grass.

well it wasnt this s**tty bermuda bandera
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I wouldn't even put 3rd stringers in on this. We might have to hire some scabs. I'm willing to play DB on first downs only due to poor conditioning...actually, no conditioning. I can't run 30 yards without collapsing.

They can pay me with a jersey autographed by the entire 49ers team or something equal in value like a domestic beer from the concession stand.

I like this new guy.

Originally posted by sking20854:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Should stay off your sod longer than a month. Also it takes time to get the roots to take deep root in the soil. Normallly this is accomplished by giving the grass/sod the adequate amount of water per period time but drastically reducing the number of times watering... water longer and less often. That makes it so that the roots have to grow down to seek out the moisture. This process takes time and I think it was on bad planning/advice that it hasn't been given the time needed to accomplish.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I also think the laying of the sod was delayed weeks to a month?

I do remember that the sod being laid was delayed for a while and TPTB said that it was fine and everything would be ready for the season. And frankly maybe it would have been but there are too many activities happening at Levi, imo. They lined up too many events before getting everything ready to go. NAGL for Niners right now.

All of the above.

They wanted to get the stadium done for the 2014 season remember, so they had the smallest possible window to work with. The grass just needed more time, simple as that. It didn't root itself properly and then you have all kinds of crap put on it for concerts etc which sure didn't help.

Would people rather we opened in 2015? I don't think so.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Or you could put a positive spin on it. Maybe the fans attending the game would slowly evolve super powers, like from the old show "Hero's."
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by sking20854:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Should stay off your sod longer than a month. Also it takes time to get the roots to take deep root in the soil. Normallly this is accomplished by giving the grass/sod the adequate amount of water per period time but drastically reducing the number of times watering... water longer and less often. That makes it so that the roots have to grow down to seek out the moisture. This process takes time and I think it was on bad planning/advice that it hasn't been given the time needed to accomplish.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I also think the laying of the sod was delayed weeks to a month?

I do remember that the sod being laid was delayed for a while and TPTB said that it was fine and everything would be ready for the season. And frankly maybe it would have been but there are too many activities happening at Levi, imo. They lined up too many events before getting everything ready to go. NAGL for Niners right now.

All of the above.

They wanted to get the stadium done for the 2014 season remember, so they had the smallest possible window to work with. The grass just needed more time, simple as that. It didn't root itself properly and then you have all kinds of crap put on it for concerts etc which sure didn't help.

Would people rather we opened in 2015? I don't think so.
The sod had been growing for 18 months and installed in mid April that is enough time to get a great field ready but either the grass selection wasn't right for the area or the sod wasn't installed or cared for properly. I have been in greenhouse landscaping business for 32 years and have worked with sod and sod farms in the past. I would look at the company that installed or the selection itself as the problem.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
The sod had been growing for 18 months and installed in mid April that is enough time to get a great field ready but either the grass selection wasn't right for the area or the sod wasn't installed or cared for properly. I have been in greenhouse landscaping business for 32 years and have worked with sod and sod farms in the past. I would look at the company that installed or the selection itself as the problem.

Exactly. If they're changing the sand base then that seemingly indicates that the particular combination of sand, soil and grass didn't combine for the solid playing surface they desired.

Sometimes thing go wrong because **** happens, not because people cut corners, or were devious, etc.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone