LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

the 49ers sad sod

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Per Niner's Nation: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/21/6053261/49ers-new-stadium-turf-levis-stadium-sod-replacement-vs-chargers

Although the helicopter photos obtained by CSN Authentic appear to be a major undertaking, based on the information provided to Niners Nation, it is merely a temporary solution. After the exhibition game on Sunday, there are two more high school games to be played. Apparently, next Saturday, the 49ers are planning to tear up the entire field and replace the sand base that was put down in mid-April.

According to the source, once the proper sand is put down, the grass should mesh within 10-days. So, from August 30, the 49ers will have 14-days for it to set. It should be noted, even at Candlestick and at other stadiums, it is not uncommon for organizations to change out the field a few times a year. It is unknown why it took the 49ers this long to discover that the turf had been grown on the wrong sand base.

In any event, the 49ers seem to be taking the field conditions at Levi's seriously and are making every effort to make sure the turf is ready and safe by the home opener on September 14.

Someone on NinersNation said they had some dealings with the company and that the Niners didn't follow all the rules. You're not supposed to be on the grass for 90-120 days and that Niners aren't using the company for long care maintenance. Not sure about the validity of this but I do think the Niners didn't do things correctly with the grass and that's the problem vs., the grass being crap. JMO.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Per Niner's Nation: http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/21/6053261/49ers-new-stadium-turf-levis-stadium-sod-replacement-vs-chargers

Although the helicopter photos obtained by CSN Authentic appear to be a major undertaking, based on the information provided to Niners Nation, it is merely a temporary solution. After the exhibition game on Sunday, there are two more high school games to be played. Apparently, next Saturday, the 49ers are planning to tear up the entire field and replace the sand base that was put down in mid-April.

According to the source, once the proper sand is put down, the grass should mesh within 10-days. So, from August 30, the 49ers will have 14-days for it to set. It should be noted, even at Candlestick and at other stadiums, it is not uncommon for organizations to change out the field a few times a year. It is unknown why it took the 49ers this long to discover that the turf had been grown on the wrong sand base.

In any event, the 49ers seem to be taking the field conditions at Levi's seriously and are making every effort to make sure the turf is ready and safe by the home opener on September 14.

it took them this long to figure it out, jesus. i know i go off half cocked most of the time but this really does piss me off
Originally posted by Jcool:
Mike Rosenberg ‏@RosenbergMerc

More from #49ers turf company, from April installment: "You grab this grass & try to tear it – it's tough stuff. It doesn't pull apart."

blades of grass dont pull apart

s**t comes out of the dirt tho like a b***h
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Who were the clowns in charge of putting in the wrong sand base? What a circus.
I think they knew, they just had the events booked and didn't want to cancel them and lose out on the revenue.
Hope they learn their lesson n NEVER BUY grass from the swapmeet ever again. DONT GO CHEAP ON US YORK!!!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That's what happens when you try to recycle water.
Its not about being cheap, its about the 49ers lame social pressure to be "green and energy efficient".

Everything in this stadium was designed to be ultra eco-friendly. Sometimes that results in trying to skate by with insufficient sod.
seattle steals all the rain to water their fake grass

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sking20854:
Someone on NinersNation said they had some dealings with the company and that the Niners didn't follow all the rules. You're not supposed to be on the grass for 90-120 days and that Niners aren't using the company for long care maintenance. Not sure about the validity of this but I do think the Niners didn't do things correctly with the grass and that's the problem vs., the grass being crap. JMO.

I tend to believe this story. Sounds like something they would do.
Jed York: "The locker rooms must be exquisite! I want lockers made of the finest wood. I'll spare no expense! Our players deserve the best just like Uncle Eddie gave them!"

Groundskeeper: "Mr. York, I have some brochures from different sod providers and I need to go over them with you."

Jed York: "I don't have time for that s**t. Just pick which ever one doesn't blow up the budget."

Groundskeeper: "What's my budget?"

Jed York: "Here." Hands groundskeeper a Walmart gift card. "There's like twenty Christmases worth of money from my Grammy on here, should be enough."
[ Edited by BleedsRedNGold on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
I asked MM this: If the sod was installed in April and didn't take root by August, why do the 49ers believe resodding now will allow the new grass to root in three weeks?

His response: As I understand it, it's not about the grass rooting. It's more about having a deeper cut. So instead of rolling the grass into place attached to 2 inches of dirt, maybe they attach it to 4 inches of dirt to make it more solid.

Guess we will all find out soon enough.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Jed York: "The locker rooms must be exquisite! I want lockers made of the finest wood. I'll spare no expense! Our players deserve the best just like Uncle Eddie gave them!"

Groundskeeper: "Mr. York, I have some brochures from different sod providers and I need to go over them with you."

Jed York: "I don't have time for that s**t. Just pick which ever one doesn't blow up the budget."

Groundskeeper: "What's my budget?"

Jed York: "Here." Hands groundskeeper a Walmart gift card. "There's like twenty Christmases worth of money from my Grammy on here, should be enough."

[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its not about being cheap, its about the 49ers lame social pressure to be "green and energy efficient".

Everything in this stadium was designed to be ultra eco-friendly. Sometimes that results in trying to skate by with insufficient sod.

Good thing the idiot Earth worshipers didn't convince them to power the stadium with just wind and solar.
Share 49ersWebzone