LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Who do you prefer to be the back-up QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you prefer to be the back-up QB?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
The coaching staff likes Gabbert, it's just the media and fan board yappers crapping on him. Was the same thing in Jacksonville, to the point they had to trade him and try a new guy. Injuries have been his biggest problem, and a lot of those can be traced to the poor protection he got in Jax. Little things from getting hit all the time, broken toe, rib cartlidge damage, seperated shoulder, broken thumb, slashed hand, etc. Enough that he could never get a rythmn going. Plus having to learn a new offense and adapt to new receivers every year, including this year.

Yeah he has had issues and for whatever reason - the coaching staff is sticking with him. Every other position, I think we are stronger than last year except for QB, and possibly DB and LB. I'm giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on the QB position. First of all - I think Josh is an upgrade over Colt and BJ Daniels. I think Josh can take the #2, but he keeps turning the ball over. So far I'm terribly disappointed in Blaine ' s play, but here I'm going to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
I dont understand why Josh Johnson isn't getting a serious look? He's experienced in the system, athletic, and has performed relatively well throughout camp and the preseason (minus the last game)

Turnovers. If he didn't have any turnovers - he'd be in the #1 position already.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
The coaching staff likes Gabbert, it's just the media and fan board yappers crapping on him.

Fan board yappers???

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I think Gabbert, in spite of himself, is going to stay the back-up, but who do you think should get it?

Seattle has only carried 3 QBs once since Pete Carroll arrived. They currently have 4:
Wilson, Jackson, Pryor and BJ Daniels (the only one with practice squad eligibility)

All 3 backups are better than ours so I think it would be good Karma for Harbaugh to snatch Daniels away from their practice squad if he's the one cut.

Gabbert is simply continuing the pattern of mediocrity he established 3 years ago. He is not an adequate backup, no matter what Harbaugh says. He's pleased with his improvement from a 7 passer rating to 17? WTF?
[ Edited by kezarvet49 on Aug 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone