There are 180 users in the forums

Who do you prefer to be the back-up QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who do you prefer to be the back-up QB?

you can't say sign a FA QB when there really aren't any good option out there.
I think we'll keep Gabbert.

He has ZERO trade value unless we can find someone in the CFL.

IMO, Trent will be scouring the waiver wire or looking for a reasonable trade.

If Kap goes down , we will be running the ball 99% of thhe time against 10 in the box.
Answer: someone on another team, who has 2 very good qbs, with a 3rd in the wings, who they can't justify keeping. It will come via the waiver wire, and bet your boots that trent knows each and every one of the decent Qb backups who aren't going to make it , but still are talented. Somebody will try and sneak a talented QB thru waivers and Trent will snap them up.

I never heard any talk about Colt McCoy being useless. True JH never used him except to kneel down, but he could hit guys in practice, and had no trouble running the team...unlike gabbert and to some extent, now Josh.

And Wally, you mean running against 10 in the box....like we faced most of last yr?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM ]
By first name order -

BJ Daniels: He was drafted a 49er in 2013 and had a great camp/pre season. Harbaughs plan was to keep him on the practice squad, as we all know, he was snagged by Seattle. With depth at QB for SEA, BJ might be available to bring back. The guy is fast and can make things happen on his feet, but he also can throw the ball!! If RGIII and Johnny Manziel can do it, why can't BJ?

Christian Ponder: I will always remember the 2012 game vs MIN where Ponder efficiently picked us apart (Didn't we have arguably the best defense that year?) I am sold that if Ponder were to be let go, he would be a PREMIER back up!! The guy was one of the most efficient QB's in college during his time, and is still young enough to mentor.

Colt McCoy: Colt McCoy had a better preseason than what both Gabbert and Johnson are showing 2 games in to this one. Colt is currently 3rd on the Redskins depth chart behind RGIII and Kirk Cousins. Can they afford to keep all 3?? Kirk might have some trade value so they might keep Colt as insurance, but if he were available, why not bring him back?

Tim Tebow: The guy is a winner, it might not look pretty, but he comes through in key situations. Isn't that what you look for in a back up?? With a strong defense in SF, and to be a guy behind Kaepernick, I think this would be a great fit for Tebow and I believe he would do a solid job running the read option and 1-2 read passing offense.
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
  • ethan
  • Veteran
The coaching staff likes Gabbert, it's just the media and fan board yappers crapping on him. Was the same thing in Jacksonville, to the point they had to trade him and try a new guy. Injuries have been his biggest problem, and a lot of those can be traced to the poor protection he got in Jax. Little things from getting hit all the time, broken toe, rib cartlidge damage, seperated shoulder, broken thumb, slashed hand, etc. Enough that he could never get a rythmn going. Plus having to learn a new offense and adapt to new receivers every year, including this year.
Tim Tebow??!! Tim Tebow??? Really???

Everyone needs to calm down. I know it's getting harder and harder to imagine, but if the coaching staff thinks Blaine Gabbert can come in and keep an offense alive while Kaepernick is nursing an injury, at this point, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's going to be either him or Johnson. Remember, if you're talking about taking over for the season, it's a lost cause anyway. If you're talking about a game or two or a half while Kaepernick goes to the locker room to get checked out, either one can probably make some plays.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Tim Tebow??!! Tim Tebow??? Really???

Everyone needs to calm down. I know it's getting harder and harder to imagine, but if the coaching staff thinks Blaine Gabbert can come in and keep an offense alive while Kaepernick is nursing an injury, at this point, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's going to be either him or Johnson. Remember, if you're talking about taking over for the season, it's a lost cause anyway. If you're talking about a game or two or a half while Kaepernick goes to the locker room to get checked out, either one can probably make some plays.

Johnson is 0-5 in the NFL as a starter. With a career passer rating of 57. He is 28 years old, which means he isn't going to get any better.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Answer: someone on another team, who has 2 very good qbs, with a 3rd in the wings, who they can't justify keeping. It will come via the waiver wire, and bet your boots that trent knows each and every one of the decent Qb backups who aren't going to make it , but still are talented. Somebody will try and sneak a talented QB thru waivers and Trent will snap them up.

I never heard any talk about Colt McCoy being useless. True JH never used him except to kneel down, but he could hit guys in practice, and had no trouble running the team...unlike gabbert and to some extent, now Josh.

And Wally, you mean running against 10 in the box....like we faced most of last yr?

We should be able to make them pay for doing that this year. The entire reason we signed Lloyd and Johnson. God dam I cant wait!
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
By first name order -

BJ Daniels: He was drafted a 49er in 2013 and had a great camp/pre season. Harbaughs plan was to keep him on the practice squad, as we all know, he was snagged by Seattle. With depth at QB for SEA, BJ might be available to bring back. The guy is fast and can make things happen on his feet, but he also can throw the ball!! If RGIII and Johnny Manziel can do it, why can't BJ?

Christian Ponder: I will always remember the 2012 game vs MIN where Ponder efficiently picked us apart (Didn't we have arguably the best defense that year?) I am sold that if Ponder were to be let go, he would be a PREMIER back up!! The guy was one of the most efficient QB's in college during his time, and is still young enough to mentor.

Colt McCoy: Colt McCoy had a better preseason than what both Gabbert and Johnson are showing 2 games in to this one. Colt is currently 3rd on the Redskins depth chart behind RGIII and Kirk Cousins. Can they afford to keep all 3?? Kirk might have some trade value so they might keep Colt as insurance, but if he were available, why not bring him back?

Tim Tebow: The guy is a winner, it might not look pretty, but he comes through in key situations. Isn't that what you look for in a back up?? With a strong defense in SF, and to be a guy behind Kaepernick, I think this would be a great fit for Tebow and I believe he would do a solid job running the read option and 1-2 read passing offense.

Kaps Jesus tattoo's and Tebows personal Jesus connection....the Lord would be with us. Kinda like the Force.

[ Edited by Phil on Aug 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM ]
Mark Sanchez is 25-of-31 (81%) for 281 yards (9.1 YPA) through 3 preseason games.

Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Mark Sanchez is 25-of-31 (81%) for 281 yards (9.1 YPA) through 3 preseason games.

he bangs 17 year olds
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
I am just here to see if anyone said Tebow
Vince Young. Cousins from the REDSKINS.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Matt Leinart once threw for 300 yards in ONE HALF during pre-season. Means squat.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Alex Smith but his head is to big now
Share 49ersWebzone