There are 201 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS GAMEDAY THREAD (PS, Game 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Baldie:
After the 3rd preseason game:
  • Defense - The made a great play to stop the Chargers 1's on 4th and 1. I think the front 7 will be fine. The secondary I still have concerns about.
  • Offense - Kaep is concerning me. The OL took almost a quarter before they starting playing okay. I believe the starting OL was in the drive that Gabbert threw to Mcdonald for the TD? Kaep however missed Mcdonald on what would have been a big gain on the 1st drive. Then a couple of drives of nothing. On his final drive he was able to get the ball to open guys and they moved the ball. I'm still concerned though as bad as the Dallas D is, the niners still have to go into Dallas and win. On paper this should be a win but the execution says otherwise. Do we panic if we lose to Dallas week 1? I would assume so. The niners need to stay in step with Seattle if they wanna get the division or even homefield.
  • Special Teams - The coverage unit and Dawson are going to be fine

I didnt like what I saw from Kap, very worried. Should we have given him the extension this early? What about drafting a QB instead? I dont like where we are headed. I think its all caving in.

We're staring into the abyss, man.
Thoughts on the game...offense first.

Kap..I saw one bad throw, I am sure everyone will want to lay the offensive woes on him because that is how this place goes...but one overthrow to Mac and not running with the ball in tight on the scramble were his only real mistakes. The two throws on slants...one to Crabs and one to Bolden...not sure any other QB in the league has the arm strength to hit those.

Starting O line, really worried here, they need to gell, and soon Kap was hit, rushed and hurried on nearly every drop back. Looked better against backups but they were a mess against starters. Kap had a point about aggression a lot of reacting and no launching off the ball.

RB's didn't see much of Gore and the blocking was bad when he was in anyway. Hyde looked amazing again...LMJ was what he has always been just ok, Winston may have opened some eyes....would like a look at him with better competition. The others are trash.

recivers...all around pretty good...everybody showed well top to bottom, cuts will be tough. TE is definitely a position of strength.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]
Defense.

Way better all around. Starters looks great on D line. even Purcell looked better with real players around him. Concerns are gone here...good depth and real line play helped the D a lot.

LBs Same story...with starters in the loss of Bow is less glaring. Aldon looks great pending suspension...I like the idea of Wilhoite and Borland as a rotation,

Secondary...lots of guys making plays which is nice to see...Ward, Ried, and Cox stood out to me.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Thoughts on the game...offense first.

Kap..I saw one bad throw, I am sure everyone will want to lay the offensive woes on him because that is how this place goes...but one overthrow to Mac and not running with the ball in tight on the scramble were his only real mistakes. The two throws on slants...one to Crabs and one to Bolden...not sure any other QB in the league has the arm strength to hit those.

Starting O line, really worried here, they need to gell, and soon Kap was hit, rushed and hurried on nearly every drop back. Looked better against backups but they were a mess against starters. Kap had a point about aggression a lot of reacting and no launching off the ball.

RB's didn't see much of Gore and the blocking was bad when he was in anyway. Hyde looked amazing again...LMJ was what he has always been just ok, Winston may have opened some eyes....would like a look at him with better competition. The others are trash.

recivers...all around pretty good...everybody showed well top to bottom, cuts will be tough. TE is definitely a position of strength.

I agree on Kaepernick - he made one bad throw and did get stripped of the ball, but it's hard to ignore horrendous OL play. I will fully agree the offensive line was dreadful. They showed the stat line and Kaepernick was getting hit, sacked, or knocked down on two-thirds of his dropbacks. That is absolutely unacceptable. How is a QB expected to make plays when the line can't protect for more than two seconds? Receivers aren't even into their routes by that time.

It's not that Kaepernick wasn't trying to get the ball off quick either. Half the times he was getting knocked down, his arm was moving to throw the ball... This can't happen or we're going to have a bunch of "scoop and scores" or deflected INTs for touchdowns against us. OL MUST step up. Hopefully Boone returns soon, and when Anthony Davis does get back that will be a major boost for sure.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Defense.

Way better all around. Starters looks great on D line. even Purcell looked better with real players around him. Concerns are gone here...good depth and real line play helped the D a lot.

LBs Same story...with starters in the loss of Bow is less glaring. Aldon looks great pending suspension...I like the idea of Wilhoite and Borland as a rotation,

Secondary...lots of guys making plays which is nice to see...Ward, Ried, and Cox stood out to me.

Yeah LB'S Continue to be the strenght of this 49ers. HUGE STOP BY WILHOITE ON 4TH DOWN(yeah...yeahh...i know it is pre-season) Borland laying the Wood and even Skov had that big hit and contribuited on the Mooris pick. And dont get me startyed with A59
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree on Kaepernick - he made one bad throw and did get stripped of the ball, but it's hard to ignore horrendous OL play. I will fully agree the offensive line was dreadful. They showed the stat line and Kaepernick was getting hit, sacked, or knocked down on two-thirds of his dropbacks. That is absolutely unacceptable. How is a QB expected to make plays when the line can't protect for more than two seconds? Receivers aren't even into their routes by that time.

It's not that Kaepernick wasn't trying to get the ball off quick either. Half the times he was getting knocked down, his arm was moving to throw the ball... This can't happen or we're going to have a bunch of "scoop and scores" or deflected INTs for touchdowns against us. OL MUST step up. Hopefully Boone returns soon, and when Anthony Davis does get back that will be a major boost for sure.

Thats right...Davis wasn't even in there...
This game is what I was waiting for... Niner fans rejoice! WERE BACK!

?list=PLknf8sHm_yZeKWoh9-f2_M12_odmRPxaj
Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
We play Thursday. No way our first team offense should play a lot Troy. You just want them to so Kap gets hurt. Rest up will be fine let's get ready for week 1. Some good news the Rams are interested in Mark Sanchez.

Can't trade them Gabbert?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Hope they get this field ready.

They have 2 weeks. They'll get it done.

the field might be ready before the offense is

Correction, they have 3 weeks. First game is at Dallas.

LOL! Good 1
San Diego's pass rush was certainly bursting through our line with some intensity. Goodness, i think kap had his arm hit on 3 different throws that altared the throw significantly...

that's going to definately make your offensive drives stall a little bit. If the O Line sures up, we'll be okay. If not...be ready for a long year.

Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
San Diego's pass rush was certainly bursting through our line with some intensity. Goodness, i think kap had his arm hit on 3 different throws that altared the throw significantly...

that's going to definately make your offensive drives stall a little bit. If the O Line sures up, we'll be okay. If not...be ready for a long year.

that's all it comes down to
no qb can deal with constant pressure right up the middle.

nobody. you name em, they can't handle it.
Share 49ersWebzone