LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Preseason Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Elway, Farve and Rodgers were/are accurate. I'd rather win than have WRs with badges of courage. The kind of progress I'm looking for and haven't seen is accuracy to sustain drives. Great, so he can dump off. Not enough IMO for a SB QB.

But I hope the next game will prove he's progressed in vital areas. Hitting receivers in stride would be great.

Okay, that's just almost a non-sequitur response. The point is that when receivers learn to catch fastballs, they and their QB have an extra advantage over NFL defensive backs. We've already seen Kaepernick throw passes that could have never split the safeties if they had been thrown at a normal velocity. I get that you're not a Kaepernick believer, but at least have the grace to give him credit for what he can do.

And this remark, "Elway, Farvre and Rodgers were/are accurate," is almost laughable. Kaepernick has been starting for a season and a half and has a cumulative 59.8% completion percentage. At this point in his career, Elway had more interceptions than TD's and a less than 52% completion percentage. Kaepernick, at this point in his career is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than Elway was at the same point. After the same number of starts as Kaepernick, Rodgers had a 55.9% completion percentage. And Farvre is the NFL all-time leader in interceptions - at least you could say that at the same point he had a marginally better completion percentage at about 61%.

IMO, what you have are perceptions that are not really well-supported by, you know, what some of us like to call facts. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinions. But, don't pretend that they're facts.

Saying things like "Kap is not accurate" is a convenient way to troll because you can't provide any data to confirm or deny the statement.

Similar to "Kap is smug." "Crabtree is a diva." "Aldon is a thug."

It's just a way to get the bee's buzzing around and see how they react.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Ted Sillanpaa BlogIs everyone insane?

Kaepernick called audible on the last playWednesday, February 6, 2013 at 2:05 by overtime

By TED SILLANPAA

Quick hitter…tired of the Super Bowl and tired in general. But, I'm still hearing 49ers' fans and members of the media criticize the play-calling on the final series inside the goal line against the Ravens.

Where were the running plays? Well, was fixing to run a misdirection play around left end, with Frank Gore lead blocking, when Jim Harbaugh saw the play clock running out and called timeout. I've not seen or heard any gas-bag writer or talking head mention that.

What possibly could Jim Harbaugh have been thinking to call a pass to Michael Crabtree on fourth down with the game on the line? Well, Kaepernick explained Tuesday that the pass to Crabtree was the result of Kaepernick changing the play at the line of scrimmage!

Seems like somebody with a notebook or voice recorder might've found that out Sunday, but when it messes with the story line you want to tell, maybe you just don't ask the quarterback what happened?

So, those of you considering spending the entire off-season questioning the play-calling should know that Kaepernick changed the play and said he'd do it again if Crabtree was 1-on-1 with a cornerback.

... FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS I WAS MAKING UP THIS "AUDIBLE" THANG!!

Uh yeah...that isn't a news article it is a fan blog....
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
That's right Kap is as good as Elway, Favre and Rodgers. Silly me.

Right now Kap is an above-average QB. Without his wheels, he's probably average. I believe the dialogue over how much he's improved or simply proved he can dump off suggests that most agree that Kap is no more than above average. His best game so far was his first start--against the Bears. Remember that. He was great. He hasn't been great since. He starts very slow. He is explosive. Scoring overall is low (of course that's Roman's fault).

Will Harbaugh run Kap more, now that Kap has recovered his foot issues? Does the team need a break from TC to put it together? I hope so

400+ yards against GB last year?

Had a pretty good game against the Cards in the final game of the season as well. We all need to admit his passing game suffered last season. How much of it was Crabtree MIA we'll know this year after a few games.
What about the oline IMO Looney and J Martin looked alot better this week, especially considering who Martin had to block allowing Ware 0 sacks
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Can I borrow this image?
Originally posted by thl408:
Elway, Farve and Rodgers were/are accurate. I'd rather win than have WRs with badges of courage. The kind of progress I'm looking for and haven't seen is accuracy to sustain drives. Great, so he can dump off. Not enough IMO for a SB QB.

But I hope the next game will prove he's progressed in vital areas. Hitting receivers in stride would be great.

Since you've been a 49er fan for so long, thought you'd appreciate the black and white video.

the ownage in this post is pure awesome
  • Phil
  • Veteran
This hit on our safety just about sums up the game. Sums up our preseason.

(First year WR Latimer takes out Bethea)

Ouch.
Originally posted by Phil:

Ouch.

Punk drove his helmet into him. Bethea would f**k him up. Guarantee he's got a message for him when we play them.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Punk drove his helmet into him. Bethea would f**k him up. Guarantee he's got a message for him when we play them.

Looks like a clean hit, he just didn't see it coming.

Originally posted by Badazzk9:
Looks like a clean hit, he just didn't see it coming.

Headshot on a non-ball carrier? Don't think that's clean at all. No reason for helmet-to-helmet contact there.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by crake49:

Okay, that's just almost a non-sequitur response. The point is that when receivers learn to catch fastballs, they and their QB have an extra advantage over NFL defensive backs. We've already seen Kaepernick throw passes that could have never split the safeties if they had been thrown at a normal velocity. I get that you're not a Kaepernick believer, but at least have the grace to give him credit for what he can do.

And this remark, "Elway, Farvre and Rodgers were/are accurate," is almost laughable. Kaepernick has been starting for a season and a half and has a cumulative 59.8% completion percentage. At this point in his career, Elway had more interceptions than TD's and a less than 52% completion percentage. Kaepernick, at this point in his career is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than Elway was at the same point. After the same number of starts as Kaepernick, Rodgers had a 55.9% completion percentage. And Farvre is the NFL all-time leader in interceptions - at least you could say that at the same point he had a marginally better completion percentage at about 61%.

IMO, what you have are perceptions that are not really well-supported by, you know, what some of us like to call facts. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinions. But, don't pretend that they're facts.

Saying things like "Kap is not accurate" is a convenient way to troll because you can't provide any data to confirm or deny the statement.

Similar to "Kap is smug." "Crabtree is a diva." "Aldon is a thug."

It's just a way to get the bee's buzzing around and see how they react.

To add to kaeps career % talk, he has shown to be around a 62% passer when having Crabtree as an available WR.

2012 - 62.3%
2013 - 56.7% (11 games without crabs, and fight foot injury)
2013 - 61.7% (5 games with crabs)

I would suspect that he will approach and probably exceed the 62% number this season if WR core stays healthy. A lot of opinions of kaep are being skewed by the 11 game stretch he had fighting a foot injury and only have one true nfl WR. Now kaep still has some work to do in refining his game, but when he has had more than one nfl WR at his disposal he had shown to be a qb that approaches 62% completion and a qb rating near 100.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Ouch.

Ive been looking at it closely and cant tell if he went helmet to helmet. It pisses me off either way because Reid already has concussion issues, now Bethea already has one in the preseason. Once you start getting concussions they come easier....anyway, I dont know, some will say it was a good block, others will say cheap shot. If he wasn't a rookie I dont think he would have lain that hit in the preseason. I think he may have been trying to "prove" himself on the field. Latimer was probably the best blocker (for WR's) in the draft. I wish we would have picked him up.
[ Edited by Phil on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM ]

9) Levi's Stadium: I'm already in love with the place. Maybe its just my seats I love or maybe I've just been fallowing the process for so long that the fact that I was sitting in ANY new stadium would elicit this reaction...but I'm in love with the place. I love my little alcove with food and bathrooms about 30 feet away. I love that I ran to the bathroom during a TV timeout and was in my seat before play resumed. I love that I was able to get food with no line halfway through the game (tho there is certainly a training issue there...I ordered a cheeseburger, Hot Dog, Diet Pepsi and a water and the laty looked at me like I was speaking Portuguese. That will improve...but pretty clear most of those peeps were really, really new.

aaaaand the total was.........$467.84
Ive been looking at it closely and cant tell if he went helmet to helmet. It pisses me off either way because Reid already has concussion issues, now Bethea already has one in the preseason. Once you start getting concussions they come easier....anyway, I dont know, some will say it was a good block, others will say cheap shot. If he wasn't a rookie I dont think he would have lain that hit in the preseason. I think he may have been trying to "prove" himself on the field. Latimer was probably the best blocker (for WR's) in the draft. I wish we would have picked him up.

The fact that Bethea got a concussion might seem to suggest it was helmet to helmet. I don't know, call me crazy, but I think the brain is located in the head area.
Share 49ersWebzone