LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

Preseason Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
And he's still too inaccurate to sustain drives.

Sadly you've hit the nail on the head.
The only thing I am worried about is that it said that we practiced a lot of red zone stuff and that we are not able to apply that in the preseason games in order to fine tune it for regular season.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
How does the other team know who Kap's initial target is? It could be any of 3 or 4 different guys on a given play.

How can you NOT know??

Crabtree was split wide on the weakside (Ds point of view), giving him the 8 yard space from the LB/DE for that quick slant.

When you play a team like the 49ers, or any other team that runs a WC offense, one of the Bread n Butter passing play is the "WR's fake right and quick slant" which means that your base defense is already lined up to take this away.

It's like the basic of how to stop them sweeps.. if you're a LB, you sacrifice yourself to the pulling guards, so that the DB can take care of the runner..

if you were following the 49ers back in the 80s, the QBs would drop back no more than 5 steps, deliver the ball to the WR who's running the quick slant, but if he's covered, you see our QB dumping the ball to the RBs (Rathman or Craig) on those swing patterns..

Kaps just has bad habbit to try and force his passes due to the strenght of his arm.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I never heard that? Is this true? Not saying it is not, just that I never heard that he changed either one of those plays, let alone both. And for the record, both of those plays were penalties on the Ravens, particularly the helmet to helmet. C'est la vie I guess.

yes, it's been reported that on 3rd and Goal, the initial play was a draw to Frank Gore.. Kap saw Baltimore loading up the gut, and he audibled for a pass to Crabb..

then on the 4th down & goal play, the initial play was again, to Gore on the strong side, and again, Kap saw Balty lining up on a blitz package, believing in Crabb just too much, so he threw to him in the corner..

if you watch the play over and over, you can see VDavis on the flat being wide open.. but Kap, was thinking that it would be a "better ending " if he hits Crabb on that corner pattern.
Yes...you were in his head..you know he was thinking " this will be a better story"
Originally posted by 9moon:
yes, it's been reported that on 3rd and Goal, the initial play was a draw to Frank Gore.. Kap saw Baltimore loading up the gut, and he audibled for a pass to Crabb..

then on the 4th down & goal play, the initial play was again, to Gore on the strong side, and again, Kap saw Balty lining up on a blitz package, believing in Crabb just too much, so he threw to him in the corner..

if you watch the play over and over, you can see VDavis on the flat being wide open.. but Kap, was thinking that it would be a "better ending " if he hits Crabb on that corner pattern.

Link?
Originally posted by deepniner:

Sadly you're both blind.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by deepniner:

Sadly you're both blind.

Blind and bitter... now that IS sad.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Link?

The link would be to his vivid imagination.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Again....no clue what you're talking about.

He didn't force the ball. Crabtree dropped it.

It just seems odd to me that you would point out a weakness we all know he has in a game in which he was demonstrating he was getting better.

Let it go.
P
Has he demonstrated he was getting better?

I mean we've heard he was working on it but 9moon is responding to that by saying it appears he hasn't gotten better.

Its a valid observation that you just kind of dismissed which in itself is odd.

Also it would be nice if he didn't bullet every pass that goes down the middle. I know he has improved his touch but he has a tendency towards the bullet.

He DID look better. He checked it down twice. He didn't force the ball into coverage and he didn't take off and run.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
He DID look better. He checked it down twice. He didn't force the ball into coverage and he didn't take off and run.

The stranger thing to me is that we all saw all of this, and yet some people still cling to this notion that he's not getting better. The same people who claimed he was a one-read guy must have seen him going through reads. The same people who claimed he never took the check downs must have seen him rifle check downs to running backs a few times after going through reads.

Were they actually watching the game?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I never heard that? Is this true? Not saying it is not, just that I never heard that he changed either one of those plays, let alone both. And for the record, both of those plays were penalties on the Ravens, particularly the helmet to helmet. C'est la vie I guess.

this is an utterly ridiculous assumption
I really think fantasy football has skewed ppls vision of all qb's. If you aren't throwing for 400 yards a game and 3 td's then you just aren't that good to them
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I really think fantasy football has skewed ppls vision of all qb's. If you aren't throwing for 400 yards a game and 3 td's then you just aren't that good to them

Those are the QB's you draft in the 4th and 5th rounds...LoL.
This preseason, how often has Kap hit a receiver in stride? Is it more than 5? 3? Most completions have been to stationary targets. Perhaps Roman hasn't been calling a lot of those kind of plays to effect a vanilla pre-season.

Kap's fastballs seem difficult to catch when he's off target. Even Boldin couldn't handle one Sunday. That Kap hasn't slowed his throw is an indication he hasn't "grown."

One of the many reasons pre-season shouldn't be the measure of a team is the intensity of practice. Harbaugh is known for running a tough camp. As a Niners fan for 50 years, I look forward to a winning season.
Share 49ersWebzone