LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Preseason Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
I say we still look like a mess out there...

I'm also afraid that other team has learned to takeaway Kap's initial target and is forcing him to go his progression, which still is his weakness..

lol
My only thing is for a team known to be deep, our back ups should be performing better. But a lot of the back ups are forced to start right now due to the majority of the starters on defense sitting out. Next week Smith, McDonald, and Willis should return and the defense should be better. On offense, if our starters play the entire half vs SD, they should put up at least 14-17 points. The main question is if any of the back up QBs will step up.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
My only thing is for a team known to be deep, our back ups should be performing better. But a lot of the back ups are forced to start right now due to the majority of the starters on defense sitting out. Next week Smith, McDonald, and Willis should return and the defense should be better. On offense, if our starters play the entire half vs SD, they should put up at least 14-17 points. The main question is if any of the back up QBs will step up.

Most of the backups have been fine. The problem is the backup QB play has been awful. It's put the entire team, both offense and defense, in unmanageable situations, hence the blowouts.
Well, some of the back up OL and DL haven't been all that good. They have been inconsistent and in part for the DL it is that the back up QBs continue to go 3 and out.
Well, some of the back up OL and DL haven't been all that good. They have been inconsistent and in part for the DL it is that the back up QBs continue to go 3 and out.

Yup, for sure. That's expected in pre-season though. There will be some studs, and some duds. Just have to weed out the crap.

But the backup QBs have been so incredibly incompetent it's dragging the rest of the team down. They're not nearly as bad as the backup QBs are making them out to be.
The thing that is worrisome is all around the league back up or 3rd string QBs always light up defenses that consist of players that won't even be in the league in a few weeks, but our guys can't even do anything against them. In the prior years our back up QBs have showed life which is a good sight to see. Gabbert's contract makes it impossible to cut him so we really have no other option.
I do have a thought after watching two pre-season games; Mike Purcell is a scrub. Replace him.
Originally posted by lazy:
thoughts on Culliver? He look dazed and confused yesterday.

I though the same, I am not confident in his ability right now, hasn't played a game since the schit show at SB. Was pretty good before that but not super duper, seems like people are just assuming he's got it all locked up, and is gonna be our #1 cb. Hope so, for sure, but if i was a bettin' man i'd let that pony slide.
Originally posted by RMuTT1981:

I though the same, I am not confident in his ability right now, hasn't played a game since the schit show at SB. Was pretty good before that but not super duper, seems like people are just assuming he's got it all locked up, and is gonna be our #1 cb. Hope so, for sure, but if i was a bettin' man i'd let that pony slide.

brock is the #1 cb and thats not really up for debate
The thing that is worrisome is all around the league back up or 3rd string QBs always light up defenses that consist of players that won't even be in the league in a few weeks, but our guys can't even do anything against them. In the prior years our back up QBs have showed life which is a good sight to see. Gabbert's contract makes it impossible to cut him so we really have no other option.

The fact of the matter is, Kaep goes down = season over, Jeff Hostetler is not on this roster.
Doesn't really matter who is second string, that is why we cary 2 QB's:
Kaep down>season over>sign scrub off street.

Does any one think in a game that really matters a 2nd string qb has a better chance than another 2nd string qb? Certainly not in one game, and throughout a season and playoffs a 2nd string qb (who is not being groomed for an eventual starting position, so quit it already with the Joe/Steve thing or Alex/Kaep thing) is not gonna get you a supurb bowl ring, usually(see above).

So Gabagail is fine, he has started games in the NFL, and has just as much a chance to get 1 game maybe 2, but will never get us through the playoffs, so it doesn't matter.
[ Edited by RMuTT1981 on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM ]

Originally posted by crabman82:
brock is the #1 cb

and thats not really up for debate

Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for RMuTT1981.

brock is the #1 cb and thats not really up for debate

Alright whatever #2 or however one wants to rate/rank him which I'm sure is being hotly contested in a thread somewhere.

Still has to prove he deserves it...to me......dammit, I'm a fan!
[ Edited by RMuTT1981 on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

The poor guy was probably going to make a point about Culliver, but then the door was closed on him.
Alright whatever #2 or however one wants to rate/rank him which I'm sure is being hotly contested in a thread somewhere.

Still has to prove he deserves it...to me......dammit, I'm a fan!

the fact that you didn't know brock was our definite #1 db, makes me wonder if you can even analyze culliver's play objectively
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the fact that you didn't know brock was our definite #1 db, makes me wonder if you can even analyze culliver's play objectively

Well let me analyze the premise of your argument and response.
Knowledge is not the same as analytical ability. If i don't know the name of the guy i can still see that he sucks. And as far as being objective, its not like the dude banged my sister and didn't call her back, why would I not be objective about it?

Yeah and what is it with you guys? Relax with the #1, #2 things, FFS.

Thats not my point, the point is, Im not felling Cully right now.

We'll see how it plays out, hope I'm wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone