LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Offensive Line Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
so who looks like the best players to be the primary backups....assuming Lonney does start
Originally posted by jreff22:
so who looks like the best players to be the primary backups....assuming Lonney does start

Staley - Iupati - Kilgore - Looney - Davis

That's most likely the starting lineup. Then, I'm very pleased with flashes of Marcus Martin at C at some point. At G, Seymour looked good at both G & T and he also has experience at C. Then if Davis isn't in shape, I would actually feel very comfortable with J.Martin starting at RT and being our primary swing-T. Another guy who's made big strides from last year is T Carter Bykowski. I think and HOPE Snyder is done here and I think we'll be fine on the right side of the line the more and more Looney (2nd round talent) and Martin (first round talent) play together and focus on just their current positions.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

C/G Marcus Martin, G/T Ryan Seymour, T Jonathan Martin. IMHO
Okay: abridged notes on Marcus Martin: This only features his 1st two drives. I can do more tomorrow, if there is still interest in reading OL analysis. I love the fatties, but it's not interesting to everyone.

1st DRIVE

1st Play: Quick pass (can't tell if it's 1-Step or 3, because this coverage is awful). No pressure.

2nd Play: 3-step drop. Initially doubles the nose W/Seymour, then picks up the end on the stunt. Gives up more ground than I'd like to see on a 3-step drop, but holds the protection well.

3rd Play: 5-step drop. No one head up, so he slides over to help Snyder. No pressure.

4th play: 5 step drop. Immediately takes the nose and washes him by and wide.

5th play: Inside trap. This play is doomed. Martin gets no movement on his down block, and Snyder gets no movement on the kickout. Smith makes a good decision to bounce outside of the mess, Martin gives up no penetration, but this play depends on him opening a gap for Snyder to widen, and he doesn't get it done.

6th play: This is the first good looking Zone play I've seen in a long time. Martin zones the RDT and MLB with Seymour, and immediately passes off the DT. He engages the MLB cleanly and head up 5 yards downfield and washes him down. Smith ends up going down before he gets to Martin's guy, who is starting to disengage.

7th play: Aaaaaand, we're back to running zone poorly. Half-assed zone steps fail to influence the Denver front, and no one flows over the play. Martin fails to influence his guy to flow, because he forgot his zone step, so he just tries to drive block him down the line. He fails at this, and ends up falling down. Bad Play.

8th play: 3-step drop. We miss the snap again, because this tv coverage continues to suck. Martin appears to have no one head up, so he slides left to help Snyder (always a smart decision). Clean pocket.

9th play: Gap Scheme FB dive. Doubles NT with Seymour and only gets one yard of movement. That's disappointing push on a double. They get their hips together, which usually makes for a good double, but the NT leans away from Martin, letting him slide by, and Seymour can't finish the block alone. Martin needs to stick to that double longer before sliding off to a LB.

10th play: 5-step drop from shotgun. Martin has no one head up, so he slides to help Seymour. Pressure ends up coming up the middle, which makes it look like Martin's responsibility, but is completely Bykowski's fault. I don't know what the hell he's thinking here, but the Broncos run a T/E stunt on his side, and he follows his man around the front of the 49ers line and into the A gap after he disengages. STUPID. I have NEVER seen an NFL lineman do that. He should take over Snyder's DT and push Snyder to the stunting DE.

11th play: Zone left (again). They get the Denver front flowing well, and the seam is there, but Hampton runs to the wrong spot, 2 full gaps to the left of the actual seam. Martin gets his guy flowing well down the line, but Hampton runs right into him.

12th play: 5-step drop. No one head up on Martin, and no one needs help. Good pocket. He hits Snyder's DT, presumably because he is bored.

2nd DRIVE

1st play: 5-step drop. Martin holds good position on his man, but he gives up more ground than I'd like. The closer the line pushes to the QB, the smaller they can close down throwing lanes. That's what happens here. Martin is in no danger of his man getting a sack, hurry, or QB hit, but he gets a hand on the pass.

2nd play: 3-step drop. Martin Stones his guy.

3rd play: 3-step drop. Martin has no immediate threat, so he helps Seymour. Good pocket.

Through his first two drives, Martin is showing good feet and active hands. I expected more push from him on run blocks, but I could see his ability to drive block being affected by the ankle injury (either the ankle still hurts enough to hinder his ability to generate force against the ground or he lost power in his legs by neglecting lower body lifts while waiting for the ankle to heal). There is definite room for improvement here, and he has they physical potential to realize that potential, and that physical ability is evident, even in and up-and-down performance against #2s.

Originally posted by DeUh:

C/G Marcus Martin, G/T Ryan Seymour, T Jonathan Martin. IMHO

This. Right now, I'd suit Seymour and Martin (assuming Seymour really can play C). When Martin puts it all together, I'd put him in for Seymour.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Okay: abridged notes on Marcus Martin: This only features his 1st two drives. I can do more tomorrow, if there is still interest in reading OL analysis. I love the fatties, but it's not interesting to everyone.

. . .

Through his first two drives, Martin is showing good feet and active hands. I expected more push from him on run blocks, but I could see his ability to drive block being affected by the ankle injury (either the ankle still hurts enough to hinder his ability to generate force against the ground or he lost power in his legs by neglecting lower body lifts while waiting for the ankle to heal). There is definite room for improvement here, and he has they physical potential to realize that potential, and that physical ability is evident, even in and up-and-down performance against #2s.

Good news, and well done. Can't wait to see this guy when he's in game shape.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good news, and well done.

Thanks, man. I honestly think we're gonna be just fine on the OL. If Kilgore can't get it done, I think Martin will get up to speed soon. Looney is a good guard. He might be better than Boone in a year or two, and now he's getting the experience he needs to improve. J Martin is not as good of a Tackle as Boone, but he's much better than what most other teams have a swing tackle.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Thanks for putting in all this work dudes. This is really a revival of NinerTalk, imo. Truly getting some great insight beyond what paid reporters are putting out there. Webmaster should capitalize on this and get you guys (NCommand, WRATH, DeUh, and thl) providing some content we can put out there to the interwebs to combat the b******t that is said once then gets repeated by everyone.

Don't forget johnnydel. Thl and him do a great job breaking down the passing concepts in the regular season. That's one of my favorite discussions to jump in to (I won't do all the work they do with the images and gifs, but it's a ton of fun to digest route concepts and QB progressions when the evidence is right there).
Thanks for putting in all this work dudes. This is really a revival of NinerTalk, imo. Truly getting some great insight beyond what paid reporters are putting out there. Webmaster should capitalize on this and get you guys (NCommand, WRATH, DeUh, and thl) providing some content we can put out there to the interwebs to combat the b******t that is said once then gets repeated by everyone.

I challenged NinersNation last week for their B.S. on Looney's performance and they man'd up big time and provided a full detail analysis with screen-shots and goo, objective perspectives. And guess what? Anyone who spent the few minutes it takes to review each snap on their DVD/rewind and note all came to the exact same conclusions. I think it was a good lesson not to rely on local media reports and take what they say with a grain of salt.
Thanks, man. I honestly think we're gonna be just fine on the OL. If Kilgore can't get it done, I think Martin will get up to speed soon. Looney is a good guard. He might be better than Boone in a year or two, and now he's getting the experience he needs to improve. J Martin is not as good of a Tackle as Boone, but he's much better than what most other teams have a swing tackle.

Baalke has done a good job of building up the depth on the OL.

Frankly, in a perfect world, I'd love to see Looney at RG and Boone at RT. And MM at C.

Looks, to me, like Boone is getting some really poor advice from his new agents. Too bad.

Don't forget johnnydel. Thl and him do a great job breaking down the passing concepts in the regular season. That's one of my favorite discussions to jump in to (I won't do all the work they do with the images and gifs, but it's a ton of fun to digest route concepts and QB progressions when the evidence is right there).

Agree 100%.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good news, and well done.

Very much agreed...added your C Marcus Martin to the OP as well for one-stop shopping. I'm fine stopping there as that was a good sample size. I sifted through his every snap myself and came away with the same conclusions. He played a LOT for a guy coming off a really bad ankle sprain (hint, hint fans). But you are spot on...you can REALLY see how much more stout he is (and will be once 100% healthy) and he's got a ton of potential. He looks very natural there and is a wide-body in there and once he gets in tip-top shape and learns our offense, he's clearly the C of the future IMHO. I wish we had 3 more months to prepare him!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very much agreed...added your C Marcus Martin to the OP as well for one-stop shopping. I'm fine stopping there as that was a good sample size. I sifted through his every snap myself and came away with the same conclusions. He played a LOT for a guy coming off a really bad ankle sprain (hint, hint fans). But you are spot on...you can REALLY see how much more stout he is (and will be once 100% healthy) and he's got a ton of potential. He looks very natural there and is a wide-body in there and once he gets in tip-top shape and learns our offense, he's clearly the C of the future IMHO. I wish we had 3 more months to prepare him!

Yup, we gotta get AB in here to let us know the cap ramifications of sending Kilgore away next year if he won't take a pay cut. He's making way to much for a smallish backup, but I don't want a ton of dead money when we need to extend a bunch of guys.
Now A Davis is back at practice! Only individual drills, but I'll take it!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Yup, we gotta get AB in here to let us know the cap ramifications of sending Kilgore away next year if he won't take a pay cut. He's making way to much for a smallish backup, but I don't want a ton of dead money when we need to extend a bunch of guys.

Cap Hit $1,022,575
Dead Money $2,155,300

Cap Hit $1,937,500
Dead Money $1,132,725

Cap Hit $1,437,500
Dead Money $675,000

Cap Hit $1,537,500
Dead Money $337,500

Now A Davis is back at practice! Only individual drills, but I'll take it!

[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone