LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Offensive Line Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by DeUh:
NCommand, WRATHman44..... This is epic !

(they need a smiley that is clinking whiskey bottles)

Agreed, it's no easy task...esp. the detail you provided. Well done!!!

Thanks man, and thank you for pulling this together. I might take a stab at M Martin if I have some time. His 52 snaps are a little intimidating, but it could be good stuff. I might spot him sweating Crisco in the 4th QTR.
Originally posted by DeUh:
NCommand, WRATHman44..... This is epic !

(they need a smiley that is clinking whiskey bottles)

Agreed, it's no easy task...esp. the detail you provided. Well done!!!

Thanks man, and thank you for pulling this together. I might take a stab at M Martin if I have some time. His 52 snaps are a little intimidating, but it could be good stuff. I might spot him sweating Crisco in the 4th QTR.

LMAO! Yeah, you certainly wouldn't have to go into the donw and distance and some of the other details that help paint the picture.

Whatchu think on MB's assessment this week (he was way off last week on Looney) and everyone in the media ran with it (as did many fans):

The right side of the 49ers' offensive line, guard Joe Looney and tackle Jonathan Martin, played well against Denver, especially Martin who went against DeMarcus Ware on a few snaps. The duo was particularly good in pass protection.

Looney didn't always get a great push in the running game. He seems to have remedied the balance issue that hurt him against the Ravens. However, he is often the last linemen to fire out of his stance, and that gives the defender a jump on the play.

The 49ers should have been penalized for an illegal block when Martin went high on Broncos defensive linemen and Looney went low on the same lineman. The 49ers didn't make a big stink last year when Ian Williams was felled by a cut block in Seattle because the 49ers use it regularly too. Defensive players hate that type of block, and they have a point.

The second-team offensive line did not play as well as it did in Baltimore. But third-round pick Marcus Martin looked better, certainly more so than he did vs. the Ravens in the three days of scrimmages. he seems to be getting in better shape after dealing with an ankle injury. Carter Bykowski and Michael Phillip also stood out.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/18/6636800/49ers-film-festival-strong-game.html
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Thanks a lot guys, this was awesome.

JM made a big improvement and I hope this is an indication that he's totally recovered / getting back his strength and will actually be what we all hoped for...

Jonathan Martin >>> Marshmallow Martina
Bruce Miller was the fist to touch the ball. Kick return...or if you mean literally, probably Kilgore. Miller wears gloves.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Aug 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM ]
^^^

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Bruce Miller was the fist to touch the ball. Kick return...or if you mean literally, probably Kilgore. Miller wears gloves.
LMAO! Yeah, you certainly wouldn't have to go into the donw and distance and some of the other details that help paint the picture.

Whatchu think on MB's assessment this week (he was way off last week on Looney) and everyone in the media ran with it (as did many fans):

The right side of the 49ers' offensive line, guard Joe Looney and tackle Jonathan Martin, played well against Denver, especially Martin who went against DeMarcus Ware on a few snaps. The duo was particularly good in pass protection.

Looney didn't always get a great push in the running game. He seems to have remedied the balance issue that hurt him against the Ravens. However, he is often the last linemen to fire out of his stance, and that gives the defender a jump on the play.

The 49ers should have been penalized for an illegal block when Martin went high on Broncos defensive linemen and Looney went low on the same lineman. The 49ers didn't make a big stink last year when Ian Williams was felled by a cut block in Seattle because the 49ers use it regularly too. Defensive players hate that type of block, and they have a point.

The second-team offensive line did not play as well as it did in Baltimore. But third-round pick Marcus Martin looked better, certainly more so than he did vs. the Ravens in the three days of scrimmages. he seems to be getting in better shape after dealing with an ankle injury. Carter Bykowski and Michael Phillip also stood out.

I thought he had decent push in the run game. He lost his footing badly twice, which makes me wonder if he needed longer cleats. Short cleats would negatively affect his ability to drive block. He didn't get movement on the zone, but zone influencing is an art we don't use much. He moved Knighton one on one, which is tough to do. Where he seemed to block for position, rather than movement, was when he blocked LBs at the second level. This is understandable. You have to bring some momentum to really deliver a blow on those guys, and that increases you chance of missing. Right now, he's probably just thinking, "don't miss!!!!"

Same type of thing being late out of the stance. If you are thinking about your assignment, and how the defensive alignment and Center's line calls change your assignment, you probably just want to make sure you don't jump. That makes you a beat slow, especially if you're worrying so much about you're assigner that you forget the snap count and you have to go on movement. He's got good feet/agility; I think this clears itself up with more meaningful snaps.

As far as the illegal chop, he wasn't going for Williams. He was trying to down block Knighton and slipped to the ground (1 of the 2 bad footing plays). Stuff like that happens, but sure the ref could have called it. I'm guessing the umpire saw how it happened and let it go.

I thought he had decent push in the run game. He lost his footing badly twice, which makes me wonder if he needed longer cleats. Short cleats would negatively affect his ability to drive block. He didn't get movement on the zone, but zone influencing is an art we don't use much. He moved Knighton one on one, which is tough to do. Where he seemed to block for position, rather than movement, was when he blocked LBs at the second level. This is understandable. You have to bring some momentum to really deliver a blow on those guys, and that increases you chance of missing. Right now, he's probably just thinking, "don't miss!!!!"

Same type of thing being late out of the stance. If you are thinking about your assignment, and how the defensive alignment and Center's line calls change your assignment, you probably just want to make sure you don't jump. That makes you a beat slow, especially if you're worrying so much about you're assigner that you forget the snap count and you have to go on movement. He's got good feet/agility; I think this clears itself up with more meaningful snaps.

As far as the illegal chop, he wasn't going for Williams. He was trying to down block Knighton and slipped to the ground (1 of the 2 bad footing plays). Stuff like that happens, but sure the ref could have called it. I'm guessing the umpire saw how it happened and let it go.

Well stated! It's funny...he needs longer cleats AND a tighter helmet (he must have had his helmet shoved up over his eyes and completely knocked off his head about 1/2 a dozen times!
Originally posted by LVJay:

JM made a big improvement and I hope this is an indication that he's totally recovered / getting back his strength and will actually be what we all hoped for...

He just looked stronger, more confident to me...even shoving guys after. This means he's getting his strength back otherwise you wouldn't waste any energy.

Also, for those very happy with Looney's first two outings, keep in mind, like with many of the starters, they worked in T/G/C Ryan Seymour in his place immediately after the 2nd drive @ the 11:00 mark. If the coaches had any real questions about him, they'd keep him in to work on stuff esp. given they left Martin in at RT for a while. They probably asked him to work on getting lower from the previous game and play consistent. If so, we'll sub you out. If not, we'll keep you in. IMHO, of course.
Well stated! It's funny...he needs longer cleats AND a tighter helmet (he must have had his helmet shoved up over his eyes and completely knocked off his head about 1/2 a dozen times!

I think the equipment manager hates his guts.
I noticed Looney losing his helmet at least twice. Nice job though guys I wish people who got paid to write articles would break down game film like this more instead of talking about who said what on twitter, who's partying with who, all that tmz bullcrap. I know from the years I broke down tape and re-watched games you learn a ton of things you don't see the first time.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

He just looked stronger, more confident to me...even shoving guys after. This means he's getting his strength back otherwise you wouldn't waste any energy.

Also, for those very happy with Looney's first two outings, keep in mind, like with many of the starters, they worked in T/G/C Ryan Seymour in his place immediately after the 2nd drive @ the 11:00 mark. If the coaches had any real questions about him, they'd keep him in to work on stuff esp. given they left Martin in at RT for a while. They probably asked him to work on getting lower from the previous game and play consistent. If so, we'll sub you out. If not, we'll keep you in. IMHO, of course.

I was just waiting to see a bunch of negative comments in here during the game, but not even one (that I can remember)... for a minute I thought they only used him for a series or two. Then I finally read up on how he did really well and now this (more details) thread.

That's DAMN good news because this Boone fiasco is bugging the crap out of me more than Aldon's case lingering around....

I hope all the bashing / criticism he took will turn him into a monster out there... be the one to start doing the bullying on the field.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I noticed Looney losing his helmet at least twice. Nice job though guys I wish people who got paid to write articles would break down game film like this more instead of talking about who said what on twitter, who's partying with who, all that tmz bullcrap. I know from the years I broke down tape and re-watched games you learn a ton of things you don't see the first time.

+1

preach, brotha....
Great analysis guys!
  • thl408
Let me add my thanks guys. Good stuff. This low level analysis is what I love reading about the most. Beat writers just aren't going to do things like this. Only fans will.
Originally posted by thl408:
Let me add my thanks guys. Good stuff. This low level analysis is what I love reading about the most. Beat writers just aren't going to do things like this. Only fans will.

Thanks thl. Obviously, we all feel the same (esp. about your analysis of the passing game).
Share 49ersWebzone