LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Offensive Line Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5280High:
Trivia Question: Who was the first player to officially touch the ball at the new Levi Stadium?

Edit: not Prater, I meant Ewald , or did you mean Bruce Miller?

Correct, it was Miller. I should have clarified "Niner" player. Just thought it was funny...not Ellington, but Miller.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Correct, it was Miller. I should have clarified "Niner" player. Just thought it was funny...not Ellington, but Miller.

Its definitely a good one though, especially if Ellington returns some to the house this season... it would be a great end of season trivia question too.
Courtesy of WRATH, RG Joe Looney & LG Mike Iupati is also up in the OP. Well done WRATH and THANK YOU!
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Possible but not probable?

What's your assessment of Kilgore?

I'd say it's possible but not probable (not enough time to get in shape and have enough in-game experience). The ankle injury screwed him/us.

Kilgore is noted in the OP.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Its definitely a good one though, especially if Ellington returns some to the house this season... it would be a great end of season trivia question too.

Totally!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Great analysis as always NCommand!

And special thanks to WRATH (that was a ton of work)!

I'll do RT J.Martin next...
Marcus Martin will take over at C for Kilgore at some point...Dan's got the offense down, but physically I see MM as a significantly more imposing player. Looney will be a beast...the more snaps he gets the better he'll become. Given a continuing opportunity, he'll allow fans to move on from Boone, at least at RG. Also good to hear Jonathan Martin's improving...again, the more snaps he gets, he'll improve measurably.
Nice Job Wrath, you really went all out. Ncommand good effort too. Thanks for your time guys.

Kilgore's best strength seems to be the way he can bend backwards and just anchor even if the guy is getting up underneath him. So once he gets locked down he's fine his bigger problem will be guys quickness getting by him or blowing him up and he can't get anchored. I noticed a lot of guys kind of giving up not finishing blocks and some standing around. It happened with the DL too but I think with Manning getting it out so quick they didn't bother getting pressure. As valuable as the practices may have been with Baltimore maybe it was too much on the team and they were tired. If we do it again they would come here this time... I guess every other year traveling across country and having practice with a team for 3 or so days isn't so bad.

Anyways, I don't think the OL has been the problem. It starts with the #2/3/4 QB's and not being able to keep a drive going. Plus Hampton and Smith are definitely not Hunter, James or Lattimore. Even Dixon out there we'd look better. In general taking quick glances at Looney, Bykowski, Snyder, M. Martin, J. Martin (played better), Seymour, Kilgore, etc nobody seemed to have a bad day. Everyone had a bad block or two and/or some miscommunication but they all seemed to do solid. I'm more concerned with backup QB, backup NT, Borland/Wilhoite in coverage than I am the OL. I think Looney has been solid and once he gets Davis next to him he will look even better. I just hope the A gap of Kilgore/Looney can hold up... seems like the weakest spot right now. The parts of the OL that worry me are Kilgore getting push in the run game and 3rd tackle without Boone although Martin/Bykowski seem to be improving. Other than that I'm feeling good about the OL. Hopefully Iupati steps up his play as well; he hasn't been the HOF we have all wanted. Wish he would lower his asking price especially since he wants to stay with the team. He needs to step up and tell his agent to get it done. Boone needs to get in here before Looney replaces him and then he sits for 2 years and he won't be worth anything then. Get in here and worry about it after the season or after the 2015 season.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
RT Jonathan Martin is now up...so that's 4 starters right there for you all. If anyone wants to take Marcus Martin (he played a ton), Semour at RG, Bykowski at LT, LG Snyder, etc. that would be epic. Just add here for one-stop shopping.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
NCommand, WRATHman44..... This is epic !

[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM ]

Originally posted by DeUh:

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff

Marcus Martin played all 52 of his snaps at center. Finished with a +0.4 grade in his debut. #49ers
Originally posted by Jcool:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff

Marcus Martin played all 52 of his snaps at center. Finished with a +0.4 grade in his debut. #49ers

Just so people know, my understanding that anything from a -.05 to anything + is a very good grade. When I skimmed through the snaps on Marcus, I came to this same conclusion and he played from the 11:00 minute mark of the 2Q on so to me, the coaches wanted to see how he would play. He still has a ways to go but you could see all of his potential, no doubt.

(they need a smiley that is clinking whiskey bottles)
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

(they need a smiley that is clinking whiskey bottles)

Agreed, it's no easy task...esp. the detail you provided. Well done!!!
Share 49ersWebzone