LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Offensive Line Assessment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Looney and J.Martin graded out well via PFF. J.Martin didn't allow a QB pressure in 38 snaps.

Martin is beginning to look like one of the better offseason moves. In a way, I am not surprised. The guy was highly regarded coming out of Stanford but wound up in the mess in Miami. No need to go into all that again, only to say there were more problems there than even came to the surface. Now is in a better situation with a lot less pressure and he is doing well. To have him available to back up both OT slots eases the need to take Boone to the bank, particularly given the improvement of Looney the past three games. The SD starting front 7 is pretty good and they ran quite a few stunts yesterday. They look like a team that can give teams a long afternoon. If the left side can just start playing up to their billing….

I said in my assessment of Martin just now, I'd "seriously" consider starting Martin over Davis TODAY (esp. next to Looney - they work very well together). If we plan to pass much more, Martin is textbook in pass protection and can be left on an island by himself and he can block out DE's and OLB's and other pass rushers easily (can switch gears). He's also good in run blocking and his assignments. Davis is a mauler and like Iupati, can be dominant in the run game at times but both give up badly with cemented feet against the pass rush at times. And the other reason is momentum...Martin is on fire right now and Davis just started practice this week after a long recovery from shoulder surgery.

Dude but AD is a stud. Plus he's funny.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I said in my assessment of Martin just now, I'd "seriously" consider starting Martin over Davis TODAY (esp. next to Looney - they work very well together). If we plan to pass much more, Martin is textbook in pass protection and can be left on an island by himself and he can block out DE's and OLB's and other pass rushers easily (can switch gears). He's also good in run blocking and his assignments. Davis is a mauler and like Iupati, can be dominant in the run game at times but both give up badly with cemented feet against the pass rush at times. And the other reason is momentum...Martin is on fire right now and Davis just started practice this week after a long recovery from shoulder surgery.
Was thinking the same. Davis might even be good at G. We have good personnel. Davis is proven but Martin is coming on ... In preseason

LOL at these guys. Davis IS a stud but he's been sitting on his ass the entire off season and chose to have surgery at the start of TC. The OL is all about chemistry and Davis has NONE with Looney. My point? Don't rush Davis back...let him get into game form again and have Martin give way to him once he's 100% and after he's had some time with Looney in practice (chemistry). We also can't and shouldn't ignore skill sets. Davis can play very heavy on his feet sometimes in pass protection and IF we actually do plan to pass much more, I wanted the best PP in there. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM ]
Davis is not going to gain any chemistry with Looney or get back into game form if he's sitting on the bench.
[ Edited by SFrush on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Looney and J.Martin graded out well via PFF. J.Martin didn't allow a QB pressure in 38 snaps.

Martin is beginning to look like one of the better offseason moves. In a way, I am not surprised. The guy was highly regarded coming out of Stanford but wound up in the mess in Miami. No need to go into all that again, only to say there were more problems there than even came to the surface. Now is in a better situation with a lot less pressure and he is doing well. To have him available to back up both OT slots eases the need to take Boone to the bank, particularly given the improvement of Looney the past three games. The SD starting front 7 is pretty good and they ran quite a few stunts yesterday. They look like a team that can give teams a long afternoon. If the left side can just start playing up to their billing….

I agree about being careful bringing Davis back. Martin IS playing very well right now and he has a GIANT chip on his shoulder after last season and all the junk that was thrown his way. I can't imagine how anyone could be more motivated to succeed than he is right now. He gives the staff (and Baalke) another valuable chip to play in putting the best 5 guys out there on the OL.
LOL at these guys. Davis IS a stud but he's been sitting on his ass the entire off season and chose to have surgery at the start of TC. The OL is all about chemistry and Davis has NONE with Looney. My point? Don't rush Davis back...let him get into game form again and have Martin give way to him once he's 100% and after he's had some time with Looney in practice (chemistry). We also can't and shouldn't ignore skill sets. Davis can play very heavy on his feet sometimes in pass protection and IF we actually do plan to pass much more, I wanted the best PP in there. Period.

This frustrates me to no end, because he has the most naturally quick feet on the offensive line (no joke; better than Staley), but he just forgets to move them sometimes, and he gets beat badly in these technique lapses. I agree that chemistry is a big deal, and I'm also a little worried about Davis's fat kid tendencies. I've heard no reports on what condition he is currently in. As far as the surgery, I have to give him a pass and hang it on our medical staff. The imaging he received on his injury was inconclusive, so they had a choice to try to let it heal on it's own or do the surgery immediately. The staff choice the less-intrusive course, and they waited for two months, reassessed, and decided that it was not healing, so they did the surgery. That's the right call for an average Joe, but I think it's he wrong move for a professional athlete. He could hae been healed and conditioned right now, with 2-3 PS games under his belt.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
Seymour is up in the OP now. Good stuff from him too!
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

This frustrates me to no end, because he has the most naturally quick feet on the offensive line (no joke; better than Staley), but he just forgets to move them sometimes, and he gets beat badly in these technique lapses. I agree that chemistry is a big deal, and I'm also a little worried about Davis's fat kid tendencies. I've heard no reports on what condition he is currently in. As far as the surgery, I have to give him a pass and hang it on our medical staff. The imaging he received on his injury was inconclusive, so they had a choice to try to let it heal on it's own or do the surgery immediately. The staff choice the less-intrusive course, and they waited for two months, reassessed, and decided that it was not healing, so they did the surgery. That's the right call for an average Joe, but I think it's he wrong move for a professional athlete. He could hae been healed and conditioned right now, with 2-3 PS games under his belt.

Agreed. My comments weren't so much as a shot at Davis but the mere fact that Martin is playing outstanding right now and if we do decide to pass more, Martin is your guy (right now). I agree, that was a very poor move. They had a lot of time to assess after the NFCCG and now it's hurting our team late in pre season. I hope he's in great "football" shape somehow and has full mobility. The last time we saw Davis he was getting beat on the final CK pass/INT (rushed a bit and may not have been able to fully follow through). He's a man and he played a good portion of the year hurt. Now, with Martin, he may not have too (so that's the great news)!
Harbaugh on @DanielKilgore67: “Good combination of strength & quickness…He is on a streak of not missing a call.” #49ers
Cohn is such a troll, I had to change the channel on YSTL when he was talking about the OL:

"Teams aren't worried about the right side, so they'll focus on rushing Staley and Iupati."

Makes perfect sense....
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Harbaugh on @DanielKilgore67: “Good combination of strength & quickness…He is on a streak of not missing a call.” #49ers

Average at best strength, great at snapping and I'm assuming he is correct on his calls. Not bad. But this is a power running team...not zone blocking. That said, this past game he was much more stout so that's great news!

Originally posted by AutographDynasty:
Cohn is such a troll, I had to change the channel on YSTL when he was talking about the OL:

"Teams aren't worried about the right side, so they'll focus on rushing Staley and Iupati."

Makes perfect sense....

lol, right. Defenses won't attack the weakness, but instead go for the strength. Makes perfect sense, Cohn.

Iupati just had a poor game, plain and simple. He's not going to continue playing that poorly. Most of it was technique. He'll improve on it and be ready for the season. Too good a player not to.

Average at best strength, great at snapping and I'm assuming he is correct on his calls. Not bad. But this is a power running team...not zone blocking. That said, this past game he was much more stout so that's great news!

Agree. Kilgore will be serviceable, but I badly wanted Martin to win the job sooner rather than later. That kid has all the makings of a dominant center.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Agree. Kilgore will be serviceable, but I badly wanted Martin to win the job sooner rather than later. That kid has all the makings of a dominant center.

Me too...very much so!
I know everyone's been waiting with baited breath ( ), so here we are...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Quarter

play 1 - 11 personnel - 5 step quick throw.. MM shaded a bit on each side by the DTs... he and the LG have no trouble stopping the progress of the LDT crashing to the right. LG should have stayed with the RDT, who put a lick on Gabby.

play 2 - 11 personnel - handoff LMJ.. MM has RDT nosed up... MM loses his footing and ends up on his knees instantly.. hard to see why or how, to be honest. I'd need my larger TV for that if anything.. but not going into the other room.. either way, MM was not the reason for this blocking breakdown. The RE penetrated instantly through the LG and LT, causing LMJ to kick it out wide.. good pursuit to the sideline.

play 3 - 11 personnel - 5 step drop, and Gabby lets loose rather quickly.. MM slightly shaded by DTs and 2 ILBs in his face showing blitz.. MM did suck a bit on this one.. He gives a shove, but quickly loses around his outside shoulder on the blitzer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

play 4 - 22 personnel - false start on LG Farrell

play 5 - 22 personnel - Gabby fumbles the snap. Can't really tell, but that looked more on QB than C

play 6 - 22 personnel - run play for Alfonso.. MM nosed up by the interior DL... MM holds his ground, but it's a stalemate, and the DL gets some angle towards the run play. Overall, it wasn't the problem, but sustaining that block would have saved Alfonso the fat hog landing on him after the stop.

play 7 - 10 personnel - 5 step drop and quick pass on a crosser.. MM is uncovered and left free.. so he eventually assists the LG vs RDT, though no real need to

play 8 - 10 personnel - read option from shotgun for Josh J.. MM has the RDT nosed up... MM does a fine job engaging and keeping him neutralized from the play.

play 9 - 10 personnel - quick 3 step from shotgun.. RDT slight shade on MM.. MM does well keeping RDT neutralized with help from the LG. Good looking back shoulder throw from JJ.

play 10 - 10 personnel - inside handoff from shotgun to Alfonso.. MM has RDT nosed up.. MM has no trouble walling off the RDT.

play 11 - 10 personnel - inside handoff from shotgun to Alfonso.. MM is shaded by the LDT and RDT.. MM instantly engages the LDT and does his job. The LG and LT fail miserably here... as does the RG, all allowing converging pressure in backfield.

play 12 - 10 personnel - defensive neutral zone penalty

play 13 - 10 personnel - quick throw from shotgun.. every damn SD defender at the los, lolz. Interior OL held up well, as JJ quick tosses pass to Alfonso in the flat to beat the blitz. MM does a fair job of minimizing the pocket push vs the interior blitzer.

play 14 - 10 personnel - QB sack from shotgun.. MM was nosed up by the RDT. Off the snap, MM instantly turns to the LDT and puts him on his kness. A slot CB blitz and then an unsustained block from LG vs RDT gets JJ.

play 15 - 10 personnel - 3 step quick throw from shotgun.. MM slightly shaded by RDT. He and LG have no troubles here. I like that MM shows alertness for delay blitzes and stunts.

play 16 - 10 personnel - 2 step quick pass.. MM is uncovered, but does have a potential blitz LB closer to the line ahead. LB drops in coverage, so MM is free and with nothing to do.. eventually gives the RG an unneeded assist. Pass was high... usually a hit like that gets flagged, but not for us, lol.

play 17 - 21 personnel - 7 step drop.. MM nosed up by RDT.. MM is right to stay with the RDT and does so just fine. MM does eventually "lose" his DT as the play breaks down.. no major issue ensues. There is a S lined up far right-side beyond the TE and that S is stunting inside thru an A gap, but that's the RB's assignment.

play 18 - 12 personnel with RB shifting out wide as receiver... 2 step quick pass... MM lined up with the interior DL, and he blocks him well, as the RG blocks the incoming blitzer.

play 19 - 10 personnel - quick pass on 1 stepper.. DB shows blitz at los in front of MM, but backs out...MM left free, but nothing to really deal with.

play 20 - 21 personnel - handoff to Winston... BAD run block from MM... he was slow to get to 2nd level, and whiffed on the LB pursuing and filling the run lane. He wasn't the only fail.

END 3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

play 1 - 22 personnel - shotgun.. 3 step lob to the EZ.. MM has NT nosed up... MM and RG keep that NT neutralized.

play 2 - 11 personnel - shotgun.. 2 steps and then JJ gets outside pressure and scrambles left... MM and LG have no trouble blocking the RDL.

play 3 - 22 personnel - RB handoff.. MM nosed up by NT... drives left engaging the RE and moves him away from the play.

play 4 - jumbo 1 wideout, 23 personnel or extra OL?.. anyone give a fig?MM shaded by NT and RE.. does nice job of getting puch on NT as he makes way to 2nd level for LB then DB blocks.

play 5 - jumbo 1 wideout, 23 personnel or extra OL?.. anyone give a fig? PA rollout for JJ... MM nosed up by NT... does well to instantly get to the right and pop block on the LE to keep him from lateral pursuit.

play 6 - jumbo 1 wideout, 23 personnel or extra OL?.. anyone give a fig?handoff... MM nosed up by NT.. MM engages the NT and though MM eventually gets ripped down by the NT, the run play is long beyond them.

play 7 - jumbo 1 wideout, 23 personnel or extra OL?.. anyone give a fig? MM nosed up by NT... MM gets good surge on NT, with help from RG... as MM works to 2nd level to block the ILB...

poor dude gets rolled up on here, and injured....

Overall, there is much to be impressed with in young Marcus Martin. The same can and should be said for Kilgore, but back to Martin... He shows the discipline and awareness to be a good starting OL. If I had any hyper-critical thought, it's that he looks like he should be mauling defenders, but is playing with more caution. Maybe that's a good thing for now. Once he grows in confidence, he should be driving and pancaking dudes. There wasn't a lot of plays (was there any?) that required him to pull or block out in space... so we'll see if there could be limitations there. Sadly, may have to wait a long while.

I like what I see... and between his development, along with guys like Kilgore, Looney, and Brandon Thomas? We really don't need to overpay Iupati... whether he deserves it in the end or not.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well, that explains a lot.....

Kilgore also hasn't had a botched snap with quarterback Colin Kaepernick this preseason. They appeared to have one dubious exchange during a scrimmage against the Ravens, but it turned out that a running back inadvertently hit the shotgunned snap as he was running down the line of scrimmage.

Their chemistry grew partly because the two worked together when both were rookie backups in 2011.

In that way, Kilgore said he also has developed a good rapport with Looney, the team's starter at right guard who was drafted in 2012. Before games, all of the backup offensive linemen, which in recent years included Kilgore and Looney, would practice together for three hours under the supervision of offensive-line coach Mike Solari.

"Every rep counts," Kilgore said. "Joe's been next to me for three years now, so there is that chemistry."

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/25/6654301/kilgore-to-start-at-center-for.html

Did someone say the right side of the line was good? I think this might be why.

Chemistry is critical on the OL and that is why I said, J.Martin is playing so well there right now, given Davis hasn't seen a snap all off season, it could be dangerous to mess with that right now until he's had some time next to Looney at RG in practice.

PS: I find it ironic that this article was written by MB (my favorite) b/c HE was the one who started all the negative-B.S. about Looney that spread like wildfire. He got called out and obviously, is doing the right thing and back-tracking now!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone