LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Time to look at the Positives

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cNiner:
wow , what a bunch or homers in here .
this ^
Originally posted by 9moon:
Just wondering why we still have yet to designate a play for Derek Carrier and show what he can do.

Gabbert should be fine... as long as you don't ask him to read the defense and just let him throw those out patterns to Ellington.

I hope ILB Skov makes the team over Costanzo.

I hope OLB Chase Thomas makes the team over Dan Skuta

I hope SS LJ McCray makes it over Raymond Vetrone.

I hope OL (swingman) Ryan Seymour makes it over Adam Snyder.

Costanzo is on IR, season over. So Skov will have to make the team over someone else. Both were unlikely to make the roster to begin with.

Why on earth would we cut Skuta? He's a bargain. Effective backup player capable of playing significant snaps in Base D, and a very good STer. We'd be crazy to cut him. Thomas played well against Denver. He could make the case for a spot on the PS, along with Skov.

I like McCray too. Ventrone has long been a ST stalwart, so McCray will have to show similar ST ability as well as real defensive potential to get a spot. I'd cut Dahl before I cut Ventrone.

Seymour has been playing very well. Snyder is a guy that could be traded to a team in need of guard depth. Similar to when we traded Parys Haralson last year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
nice catch by McDonalds

That was an impressive catch, got his head around quick and caught a lazer with his hands.

he looked surprised that he caught it. I'm sure he was.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
no way in hell Skuta gets bumped. Dude played great in Aldon's absence last year.
no way in hell Skuta gets bumped. Dude played great in Aldon's absence last year.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "great" to describe Skuta's play last season. The guy provides very little in terms of a pass rush.

If Lynch is going to play OLB this season, don't see any need for Skuta. Lemonier's a much better player, and they if they keep everyone that means they have to keep one fewer player at another position.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Great post, OP. Seems like a lot of people have once again been fooled into thinking pre-season is an accurate representation of the team. Every year we go through this...it's amazing people still haven't figured it out. My position hasn't changed since the off-season. We are freakin' loaded this year. Prepare for 12-14 regular season wins, easy.

This
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

I'm not sure I'd use the word "great" to describe Skuta's play last season. The guy provides very little in terms of a pass rush.

If Lynch is going to play OLB this season, don't see any need for Skuta. Lemonier's a much better player, and they if they keep everyone that means they have to keep one fewer player at another position.

Agree lynch and lemon. Make room for Acker and Dontae some how........

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/8752/san-francisco-49ers-projected-roster-4
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Just wondering why we still have yet to designate a play for Derek Carrier and show what he can do.

Gabbert should be fine... as long as you don't ask him to read the defense and just let him throw those out patterns to Ellington.

I hope ILB Skov makes the team over Costanzo.

I hope OLB Chase Thomas makes the team over Dan Skuta

I hope SS LJ McCray makes it over Raymond Vetrone.

I hope OL (swingman) Ryan Seymour makes it over Adam Snyder.

Costanzo is on IR, season over. So Skov will have to make the team over someone else. Both were unlikely to make the roster to begin with.

Why on earth would we cut Skuta? He's a bargain. Effective backup player capable of playing significant snaps in Base D, and a very good STer. We'd be crazy to cut him. Thomas played well against Denver. He could make the case for a spot on the PS, along with Skov.

I like McCray too. Ventrone has long been a ST stalwart, so McCray will have to show similar ST ability as well as real defensive potential to get a spot. I'd cut Dahl before I cut Ventrone.

Seymour has been playing very well. Snyder is a guy that could be traded to a team in need of guard depth. Similar to when we traded Parys Haralson last year.

100% agree!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Its funny to me that people are seriously concerned. We coulda got beat 65-0 and I'd be OK. We ALWAYS suck in the preseason and when we don't suck in the preseason we suck in the regular season.

The first them O looked OK. Lloyd shoulda caught the TD and Stevie had a drop. As for the reserves I'm not particularly concerned. There was no scheming it game planning and guys are still learning. Dial, Tank, Hyde, Ward, Johnson, Borland, McD, and a few others all look decent to good.

I guess every year I forget how crazy this place gets. Too high after wins too low after losses.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

By next week, NFL is expected to increase size of practice squads to 10 players from 8, per source. So 64 more jobs

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

By next week, NFL is expected to increase size of practice squads to 10 players from 8, per source. So 64 more jobs
they did that under intense pressure from god to make sure lawrence O. has a spot on the team
Why is every one in a big panic IT'S PRE SEASON the starters barely played if at all. The play calling is as vanilla as ice cream. The only thing that worries me is our depth looks horrible and Gabbert looks horrible other than that the final score isn't a problem like Gore said when the games are real we will be better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
Why is every one in a big panic IT'S PRE SEASON the starters barely played if at all. The play calling is as vanilla as ice cream. The only thing that worries me is our depth looks horrible and Gabbert looks horrible other than that the final score isn't a problem like Gore said when the games are real we will be better.

nice post till the end,., you lost credibility when you quoted gore. gore is done you know
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
it's not that everyone is panicing, it's just NO fan ever wants to see this kind of result even in the pre-season.

everyone wants a show, some kind of hope.. i mean, really, for me, i would have not minded if the result was the same, but as long as we played more of the young guys...

it's pre-season, i'd like to see those hidden gems, those diamonds in the rough.. i dont wanna see bubble veteran players.. who cares about CJ Spillman, or Adam Snyder.. We should be giving lots of time to players like Okoye, Chase Thomas, Skov, LJ McCray, Carrier.. etc..
it's pre-season, i'd like to see those hidden gems, those diamonds in the rough.. i dont wanna see bubble veteran players.. who cares about CJ Spillman, or Adam Snyder.. We should be giving lots of time to players like Okoye, Chase Thomas, Skov, LJ McCray, Carrier.. etc..

Yep... Dial and Carradine as 1st string DL... Dial or TJE at backup NT and one of them starting not Purcell. Seymour, Bykowski, etc too. It comes down to the fact we know what Spillman, Dahl, Snyder, Ventrone, etc can do at their positions so why not put in those young guys and let them show what they got against 1st/2nd string. Give them more time, those other guys have had 2, 3, 5+ years to show what they can do and therefore we know what they can and can't do. Most coaches are hesitant to bump guys ahead of vets until it hits them in the face. It has to be obvious to all the fans, the media and then the coaches. It's not just a hey this guy looks to have great potential let's give him a shot above Dahl or Snyder. They make them work their way up usually. You see coaches/managers play favorites with vets all the time in all sports. Like how does this guy keep getting a job... it's because he's like a player coach and he does what he's told and is a good team guy. Some times though I'd rather take the guy with rough edges character wise who has greater potential or is playing better.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone