There are 220 users in the forums

Time to look at the Positives

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As Beasty says, Eddie, dobbs, Purcell...or you take your pick of guys who won't make it should be cut quickly so the bubble guys can be evaluated. Because of poor qB backup play, it has been hard to near impossible to know what anything but a 1st teamer can do. We need more reps for legit guys to make the squad, and cut the ones now that won't.

As for qb, I think we have gone backwards from Colt, who I believe could have won games against non elites. He wouldn't have taken us, like all other 31 backup qbs, to the SB. But he could have won games against non elites. I am not convinced that blaine could do that, and josh had so few reps that it was impossible to rate him, other than two unforgettably bad plays.

Like I wrote a while back, trent is burning up the wires now, trying to find anything that is an improvement over what we have. Not that he played well, but thank God for trent's last minute signing of josh. To show how far behind our second stringers are, look at the performance of Ostweiler. Wow. In most yrs, somebody has not just a great backup, but also a really good 3 rd string qb that they will try to hide and pray they get past the waiver wire. That is where I think our 2nd string qb comes from...other than that, it is josh, who has not lit things up. But is not as bad as blaine.

And here's another fuh cup. Because of our terrible backup qb play, Coach and trent haven't been able to sort out who is on the bubble and who isnt'. Three and outs is no way to find out who your bubble guys are and who aren't . This has been a crummy PS, one I shan't forget anytime soon.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff

A nice bounce back game for Jonathan Martin. +1.0 grade, did not allow a QB pressure (hurry, hit, or sack) in 19 pass blocking snaps. #49ers
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
When we start off 4-0 people won't even remember preseason

A little perspective: In 1990, they had a 1-4 preseason and ended up with the league's top offense and a top five defense, a fumble away from the Super Bowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
maybe i am wrong but i would rather have us peaking on or around december 18th and not august 18th. people who are thrilled when their team is great in pre season are usually fans who know their team is going to suck in the regular season. people who get really down on their team because they start out 0-2 in pre season need to understand this is not a sprint but a marathon
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
When we start off 4-0 people won't even remember preseason

A little perspective: In 1990, they had a 1-4 preseason and ended up with the league's top offense and a top five defense, a fumble away from the Super Bowl.

in 2010 we went 4-0 then came out at 0-5, that is all i need to know about pre season
good stuff PWilly
Winner: Every 49er player that got good reps and escaped this glorified scrimmage injury free.

Loser: Every fan that tries to read anything into the outcome of preseason games.
Yeah the 2's didn't look that great...but in the regular season, the 2's aren't going to be thrown out there all together at the same time like they do in Pop Warner...So, not worried.
Only real concerns I have is Kap getting hit one too many times for my liking, the secondary getting torched and missed field goals?? If the front seven isn't bringing pressure then the new secondary may be exposed until they gel as a unit.
Bad as they've looked the first two preseason games, one thing I've noticed is both the Ravens and Denver started a lot more "1's" and kept them in the game longer, for whatever reason. Broncos are playing w/fire to some degree, as one big Peyton hit could dramatically change their season. True, their QB b/u's looked better than ours (wouldn't be hard, really), but just as with Kap, they won't see any snaps so long as Peyton & Kap stay upright. If I'm the Chargers, they may incur some Niner wrath...after a lackluster opener w/Denver, Seattle spanked SD pretty good. All Niner fans want to see is their team play like the SB contenders they are...and in the 3rd preseason game, that would quell the anxiety that's out there.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Only real concerns I have is Kap getting hit one too many times for my liking, the secondary getting torched and missed field goals?? If the front seven isn't bringing pressure then the new secondary may be exposed until they gel as a unit.

dawson missed some field goals in pre season last year and everyone wanted akers back. good lord
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:

We won't know how the starting front 7 is until Week 1 I don't think.
Anyone else get super excited after the deep miss by Kaep to Lloyd??

I think this was one of the biggest weaknesses in Kaep's game, the deep rainbow passes over a beaten db. The ball was definitely catchable, but even with the miss it's making me optimistic for the things to come.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
nice catch by McDonalds
wow , what a bunch or homers in here .
Share 49ersWebzone