LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

After TWO Preseason games, who shouldnt be on the 2014 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'll cut to the chase since Harbaugh is having such a hard time with his love fest:

Blaine Gabbert
Josh Johnson
Jewel Hampton
McLeod Bethel-Thompson
Asante Cleveland--no feel for the game
Mike Purcell
David Reed
Quinton Patton??? Where are those ball skills?
Dawson??? Are we going to be burned this year by a veteran kicker who usually falls off the end of the football spectrum before his 89th season?
Gabbert, Purcell, Hampton, Dahl (minus ST) are all awful.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Dawson pulling a Joe Nedney
Originally posted by Antix:
Dawson pulling a Joe Nedney

More like a David Akers. Nedney was boss.
Well if I recall, Dawson started off a bit shaky last year too
Alex Boone should be gone. He didn't do a thing today
We got 37 players to cut. What did you guys see on the oline? Do we need to see more from Netter, J. Martin? I didn't see much push in the running game.
Youre high with Patton and Dawson being on that list. He got behind the defense a couple times today but the passes to him were horrid.

Of the rest... none of them were gonna make the team anyways except for BG but oh well. Who cares?

Can we just breath and remember that a preseason roster is up to 90 players and most these scrubs wont even make the 53, and the ones that will have flashed during times this preseason... and some of those guys wont even make it either.

It was only two years ago we got our sh*t pushed in by NO and SD and the zone-talk was "Harbaugh sucks how could he not call Sean Peyton? & This is our offensive guru of a head coach, Alex looks like the ole Alex and Kap cant play" only to rattle off a 13-3 season. Yeah it sucks to sit down and watch your team get hammered for being undisciplined and lost, but thats not what the regular season is gonna look like as long as we keep our starters on the sideline during preseason uninjured.
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Youre high with Patton and Dawson being on that list. He got behind the defense a couple times today but the passes to him were horrid.

Of the rest... none of them were gonna make the team anyways except for BG but oh well. Who cares?

Can we just breath and remember that a preseason roster is up to 90 players and most these scrubs wont even make the 53, and the ones that will have flashed during times this preseason... and some of those guys wont even make it either.

It was only two years ago we got our sh*t pushed in by NO and SD and "Harbaugh sucks how could he not call Sean Peyton? & This is our offensive guru of a head coach, Alex looks like the ole Alex and Kap cant play" only to rattle off a 13-3 season. Yeah it sucks to sit down and watch your team get hammered for being undisciplined and lost, but thats not what the regular season is gonna look like as long as we keep our starters on the sideline during preseason uninjured.

I want to hear from you guys. I like Patton, and Im sure Dawson is a lock, but damn he was brutal
This is EZ.

Purcell
Wylie
Gabbert
Anyone who defends Gabbert
Johnson Josh
MBLT

Gabbert, JJ, McBLT -- Cut all 3. Stop wasting our time Harbs...they are garbage.
Craig Dahl -- Make Ward the primary backup at Safety.
Hampton -- Mediocre all around. Doesn't do anything exceptionally well. Marginal burst.
Reed -- Reminds me of Kyle Williams wearing that #10. Cut his ass.
Purcell -- Doesn't hold his ground in the run game. Can't play NT in that case.

Other cuts are fairly obvious at this point. Most of these guys never had a shot at the roster anyhow. Most spots are locked in.
you guys are all stating the obvious
I'd like to see Stevie Johnson play better. I know Kap throws a fastball but c'mon now. Gab berth looks horrible, same with JJ, this is worrisome. Hampton should be cut. Wylie and Reed shouldn't make it. Purcell loses at the POA and doesn't appear to have the strength or technique to contribute. Washington looks frail.
well the guys that disappointed today...

dawson-self explanatory
wilhiotte- missed tackles
gabbert- self explanatory
josh johnson-held the ball way too long
Purcell- just flat out awful. no push, no holding the point
Dahl- if we didnt have ward we would be in big trouble if a safety went down
Brandon Llyod- catch that damn ball in the end zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
david reid- never good to see a fumble like that

guys who suprised me...

McLeod-Thompson- to me was the best backup QB. stood strong and delivered a lot of good on point passes and slants
Borland- completely different player from last week. Good sideline to sideline speed. squeezed thtrough blockers to make tackles. he really made his case as navarro's replacement
ellington- i think we found our returner. Just amazing at finding holes. He broke some tackles and showed great speed hitting the holes.
Alfonso Smith- might make the team in the absence of lattimore. Good change of back pace and showed good tuffness
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
well the guys that disappointed today...

dawson-self explanatory
wilhiotte- missed tackles
gabbert- self explanatory
josh johnson-held the ball way too long
Purcell- just flat out awful. no push, no holding the point
Dahl- if we didnt have ward we would be in big trouble if a safety went down
Brandon Llyod- catch that damn ball in the end zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
david reid- never good to see a fumble like that

guys who suprised me...

McLeod-Thompson- to me was the best backup QB. stood strong and delivered a lot of good on point passes and slants
Borland- completely different player from last week. Good sideline to sideline speed. squeezed thtrough blockers to make tackles. he really made his case as navarro's replacement
ellington- i think we found our returner. Just amazing at finding holes. He broke some tackles and showed great speed hitting the holes.
Alfonso Smith- might make the team in the absence of lattimore. Good change of back pace and showed good tuffness

I would put him #3 right now
Share 49ersWebzone