LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Training Camp Hype = Pre-season game duds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HearstFan:
So I guess you all are fine with seeing the complete lack of performance?

I get all the rationales for it not mattering. And obviously I didn't say the sky if falling - so come up with something more original why you accept that these high talent players are not flashing said talent in pre-season.

P-r-e-s-e-a-s-o-n. Take a few deep breaths and chill. Some guys had good performances, some guys didn't, overall there's both good and bad but I could care less about the outcome of these games as long as it allows the coach a good idea of who to keep and who to cut loose.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I'm not going to compare this season to 2011 preseason, but I'd rather the 2nd/3rd string get heavy play time and not lose a Marcus Cooper like last year.

Cutting a player that goes on to start for a playoff team.
I'm not going to compare this season to 2011 preseason, but I'd rather the 2nd/3rd string get heavy play time and not lose a Marcus Cooper like last year.

he's TERRIBLE

lmao
1. Just as the announcer stated, there is no game planning involved in these games. If anything, these games just show that the back ups aren't in sync, which is not a major concern and probably expected. Preseason is where coaches mostly throw "bland" plays and observe the individual match-ups and performances.

2. Kap looks just fine and will improve this season from last year. Only played two series this game. If he stayed in for the entire game, along with our offensive starters, we'd probably have scored many points.

3. Defense was torched but we were also going up against the best passing offense, which does not play towards our defensive strength, yet.

4. There have been many examples in the past of teams going undefeated in the preseason and just blowing the regular season and vice versa. If you are curious to which teams I am referring to, you can google it because I can't name a specific team off the top of my head.

I'd rather we have these bad games in the preseason to fix the problems and remove the "duds" vs when it actually counts. RELAX GUYS!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So I guess you all are fine with seeing the complete lack of performance?

I get all the rationales for it not mattering. And obviously I didn't say the sky if falling - so come up with something more original why you accept that these high talent players are not flashing said talent in pre-season.

P-r-e-s-e-a-s-o-n. Take a few deep breaths and chill. Some guys had good performances, some guys didn't, overall there's both good and bad but I could care less about the outcome of these games as long as it allows the coach a good idea of who to keep and who to cut loose.

This but also beyond that I think your entirely wrong....Hyde, Borland, Tank,Dial, Ellington, and Ward just to name a handful have all shown some serious flashes in the last two games. I think you drastically underestimate what it means when everyone out there are backups. In war you are only as good as the man next to you...a group of even ten or so quality played spread across two units isn't going to make up for the number of guys they are playing with that won't make the team. My biggest and only concern from what I see is back up QB....these guys going three and out non stop or throwing immediate picks is wearing out all those young defenders and they are making mental errors.

he's TERRIBLE

lmao

Yeah he had a nice stretch of games and went right in the toilet...curious to see if he is trash and played above his head for hot minute or is actually something we let slip through our fingers.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
This but also beyond that I think your entirely wrong....Hyde, Borland, Tank,Dial, Ellington, and Ward just to name a handful have all shown some serious flashes in the last two games. I think you drastically underestimate what it means when everyone out there are backups. In war you are only as good as the man next to you...a group of even ten or so quality played spread across two units isn't going to make up for the number of guys they are playing with that won't make the team. My biggest and only concern from what I see is back up QB....these guys going three and out non stop or throwing immediate picks is wearing out all those young defenders and they are making mental errors.

Actually Gabbert just plainly sucked in the first half and improved the second half. Our offense also couldn't get into rhythm because of unfortunate turnovers but oh well.
Gabbert looked so good reportedly in the first 2 weeks of TC = plays horrible in front of the pressure of fans

Originally posted by richierichard:

Actually Gabbert just plainly sucked in the first half and improved the second half. Our offense also couldn't get into rhythm because of unfortunate turnovers but oh well.
Once the 3rd-4th stringers came in he looked better...but for a guy who started many games before, it shouldn't take that kind of drop in talent for him to complete a pass.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by richierichard:

Once the 3rd-4th stringers came in he looked better...but for a guy who started many games before, it shouldn't take that kind of drop in talent for him to complete a pass.

Yup...I was all for wait and see after first game, now I am at concerned...if I don't see some hope next game I will be looking for pitchforks and torches.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM ]

Preseason game hype = Nothing
Yup...I was all for wait and see after first game, now I am at concerned...if I don't see some hope next game I will be looking for pitchforks and torches.

Ive watched him in Jax the last 3 years. It doesn't get better. He's always been known to be a great practice player (hence the TC reports) but he blows in games.
Don't we play Denver this season? Wouldn't it be great if they expected off coverage from us all day in the regular season. Wouldn't it be great if they expected us to stay in I backs 70% of the time?

We called garbage, bland plays, sitting a third of our starters, while they went into this game like they had something to prove.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Don't we play Denver this season? Wouldn't it be great if they expected off coverage from us all day in the regular season. Wouldn't it be great if they expected us to stay in I backs 70% of the time?

We called garbage, bland plays, sitting a third of our starters, while they went into this game like they had something to prove.

Ding ding ding. I remember back in 2011 when the 49ers got the s**t kicked out of by New Orleans in the preseason and the Saints kept blitzing and bringing the house on pretty much every play. How did the next game between the two teams turn out for them?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM ]
The marque ravens and broncos players showed up and made impacts with their limited opportunities.

The marquee ravens and broncos players have had at least double the opportunities our #1's have had, particularly on offense and the #1 defense has been barely 50% intact over two weeks.

Carradine, Dial, Hyde and Ellington have all flashed and lived up to the camp practice hype IMO. Still the only things I'm truly worried about are the length of Aldon's suspension and back-up QB.

That said, they need to put a couple in the flipping end zone next Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone