There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

worried about nose tackle!

I know Ian williams might be ready now for game 1. But with bowman out, the linebackers have to step up big time. And last year if you look at the numbers the centerpiece (NT) was a hole. I thought dorsey was great... But if you look at the bigger picture he was not a run stopper at all. When we had sapoaga we had 1 rushing td allowed all season. He left, and we replaced him with williams then Dorsey. We allowed 15 rushing td's... Big difference.

So either the NT has to be upgraded, or Wilhoite or moody have to perform better than Bowman. Now we dont know how Ian Williams will do, but I do believe he was on ps when sapoaga was here. The run stopping up the middle last year was strictly on bowman and willis. With a better nose tackle, replacing bowman could be a lot easier. I know sapoaga is available, but who else?

Can we dominate for 12 years straight of championship game apparences like the glory days, who knows (I hope so)... With our run d last year weakening already, the hole in the middle gets bigger than just bowman out. But I do know if we play for this year the team has to aid the substituting mlb, because we all know no one will duplicate bowman or even get that close. Is williams good enough to be that aid? I love my team and will think there going to take the whole thing regardless, but can't lie im concerned a little.

Anyone else?
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM ]
Williams is a monster, he was our starting NT last year, but I agree we need some depth. Hopefully Dial and TJE can get acclimated to it before week one.

Borland will be a monster. I am not worried at all about Bowman anymore.
Wilhoite is solid. Very athletic, sound player.

We just have to see how all of these players develop before week one.
Borland needs to get his feet wet.
Dial and TJE need to adjust to backup the NT position.
Williams needs to get back to where he left off a year ago.

If these things develop well for us, we are rock solid.
I like all the players you mentioned. Im just worried cause of the run stopping last year. Now with out bowman for at least 8 games. I just hope williams can be that aid for whoever replaces bowman temporarily. Because if he does that good the bowman hole becomes a lot smaller.
Soap wasn't the reason our run D was so good. It was the play of everyone on the team. Cowboy had a historic season. Ray Mac, Bowman, Brooks & Aldon all broke out and we lead the league in TO's.

If Williams is healthy and we stay that way there is no need to worry. Could we use additional depth? Sure. But that's no different to every other team in the league.

Luck with injuries can make or break your season.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Soap wasn't the reason our run D was so good. It was the play of everyone on the team. Cowboy had a historic season. Ray Mac, Bowman, Brooks & Aldon all broke out and we lead the league in TO's.

Yeah, Sopoaga was on the team in 2012 and we were worse than 2011. Justin Smith absolutely beasting was the biggest reason our run D was so good in 2011.
I think the competition between Borland and Wilhoite will be a lot closer than people think. He's got the instincts, technique and physicality to play the position at a high level.

He needs playtime for more than just experience, he needs it because he will show why he deserves to be the starter.

I believe Wilhoite is more than capable of taking over, but if Borland shows he is the better player, then I'd hope he gets his dues.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I think the competition between Borland and Wilhoite will be a lot closer than people think. He's got the instincts, technique and physicality to play the position at a high level.

He needs playtime for more than just experience, he needs it because he will show why he deserves to be the starter.

I believe Wilhoite is more than capable of taking over, but if Borland shows he is the better player, then I'd hope he gets his dues.

I don't. I want to see Willis ripping teams apart as the Mike again. His responsibilities at Jack have had him tossing around guards for the last three years, and people who should know better are forgetting about him. Put him back on the weak side again, and he'll be claiming souls.
Originally posted by AUniner:

If Williams is healthy and we stay that way there is no need to worry. Could we use additional depth? Sure. But that's no different to every other team in the league.

Luck with injuries can make or break your season.

Good points. Justin three years ago was playing at an MVP level. RayMac was the second best contributor to the runD in 2011 imo. They blew up run plays and kept the ILBs free to roam more often than not.

With Justin and RayMac taking a step back, the NT position does need to step up. I remember Ian more for the push he got on the pocket. Don't remember how he fared against the run in the 2013 preseason. He won't be fully back till late this season, considering 4 surgeries, but it's great he will be practicing.

The 49ers play run defense with a team mentality. The DBs are asked to support in a big way. This is one of the reasons they haven't played much press alignment. The CBs/S stand back to read run and are expected to support aggressively. Bethea will show his worth here.
I'm not. Dial will be great until he keeps the job or Williams takes it back. Eithe way, it is probably our least impactful position besides ss. The drop off wont be all that bad and won't cost us any games.....bottom line
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Williams is a monster, he was our starting NT last year, but I agree we need some depth. Hopefully Dial and TJE can get acclimated to it before week one.

Your take on Borland replacing Bow is ridiculous. I don't see any way in hell that trex midget comes anywhere near the production Bow had. Borland simply isn't capable of making the kind of plays Bowman can. Physical limitations are just that, limitations. He is physically incapable of making the kind of plays Bow does and unless you are stating that he has more football smarts, or superior intincts to Bow?

The quoted post is a doosey. Saving for the next time you make a similar statement comparing a rookie to a 49ers all pro.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM ]
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Not to steer this to Bowman too much, but his contributions to the pass defense will be more missed than to the run defense imo. He is amazing at reading QBs and tackling in open space to limit RAC by the RBs. Wilhoite should be a sufficient run stopper in combination with Willis, but watch for more intermediate passes over the middle to be completed and more RAC gained over the middle with Bow out. I want to see more of Borland to form a real take on him.

With Ian coming back, I wonder if Dial will continue to focus the same amount of time at NT, or will he shift focus to DE. A 4 man rotation at DE is good to have. Justin/RayMac/Tank/Dial has potential to be really good. TJE might be a wild card in the competition for snaps at NT.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Your take on Borland replacing Bow is ridiculous. I don't see any way in hell that trex midget comes anywhere near the production Bow had. Borland simply isn't capable of making the kind of plays Bowman can. Physical limitations are just that, limitations. He is physically incapable of making the kind of plays Bow does and unless you are stating that he has more football smarts, or superior intincts to Bow?

The quoted post is a doosey. Saving for the next time you make a similar statement comparing a rookie to a 49ers all pro.

When Bowman came into the league, and started flying around, he stood out on the field. I was excited when he was set to replace Spikes in year two, but people said, "Spikes was a vet, and he was in there for a reason. Bowman misses tackles, he is a third round pick, he is too small, and I am worried about that position." All the same kind of stuff.

Borland played middle linebacker at Wisconsin, so he is more ready than Bowman was coming out of Penn State as an outside linebacker.
People are saying that he seems like he knows what he is doing out there. Even veterans are asking HIM questions about the defense. Willis himself said that Borland reminds him of Bowman.

As for the physical:
I don't know what his stinkin 40 time is, and I don't care. On the field, his feet move extremely quick. He changes direction extremely quick. He can dance around defenders and slug them in the mouth. He is not a little guy. He is short, but very solid and muscular, and delivers an explosive hit to the blocker.
I don't give a hoot what his "three cone" says he can do (I don't know what it is), because on the football field, this guys speed and movement stand out.

I watched the other linebackers playing with him, they were not as instinctive as Borland was.
Skov was fairly impressive also, just not as physically gifted as Borland. Moody simply doesn't have the instincts. Wilhoite is solid, very athletic, but not a natural linebacker. Neither display the power or feet of Borland. Can they run faster in a perfectly straight line? I bet they can. Do I care? No.

Borland can't replace Bowman, no one can, but I think he will be good from day one and has some upside.
Borland is a like an athletic Gary Plummer. Plummer was our best linebacker on our 94 Super Bowl team. I think Borland is similar, and in time, I think he can be even better than Plummer, because he is so athletic.

We'll have to see.
When Bowman came into the league, and started flying around, he stood out on the field. I was excited when he was set to replace Spikes in year two, but people said, "Spikes was a vet, and he was in there for a reason. Bowman misses tackles, he is a third round pick, he is too small, and I am worried about that position." All the same kind of stuff.

[b][b]Borland played middle linebacker at Wisconsin, so he is more ready than Bowman was coming out of Penn State as an outside lineback
er.[/b]
People are saying that he seems like he knows what he is doing out there. Even veterans are asking HIM questions about the defense. Willis himself said that Borland reminds him of Bowman.

As for the physical:
I don't know what his stinkin 40 time is, and I don't care. On the field, his feet move extremely quick. He changes direction extremely quick. He can dance around defenders and slug them in the mouth. He is not a little guy. He is short, but very solid and muscular, and delivers an explosive hit to the blocker.
I don't give a hoot what his "three cone" says he can do (I don't know what it is), because on the football field, this guys speed and movement stand out.

I watched the other linebackers playing with him, they were not as instinctive as Borland was.
Skov was fairly impressive also, just not as physically gifted as Borland. Moody simply doesn't have the instincts. Wilhoite is solid, very athletic, but not a natural linebacker. Neither display the power or feet of Borland. Can they run faster in a perfectly straight line? I bet they can. Do I care? No.

Borland can't replace Bowman, no one can, but I think he will be good from day one and has some upside.
Borland is a like an athletic Gary Plummer. Plummer was our best linebacker on our 94 Super Bowl team. I think Borland is similar, and in time, I think he can be even better than Plummer, because he is so athletic.

We'll have to see.

What are you talking about

Borland played middle linebacker at Wisconsin, so he is more ready than Bowman was coming out of Penn State as an outside linebacker.

As for the physical:

We'll have to see.

What are you talking about