LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

I think the niners need to sign Josh Johnson to a team friendly extension and cut Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ethan how is it really relevant. Yes great that Steve Young, who was great in college (Heisman) and great in the USFL turned it around. Why on earth does it mean that Gabbert could do the same thing. Steve Young is a super exception, Gabbert is likely the fodder.

Also whoever said they can't remember anyone that hasn't been cut who had 2M guaranteed. Do you mean just the 49ers, because there are guys with 2M guaranteed that are getting waived left and right in the NFL. The biggest thing for this team at this point is roster spots. We have ~10M available in cap to do work.

Both Blaine and Josh are not good. 4 of Johnson's 5 losses came 4 seasons ago and he was not very good. 4 of Blaine's 5 wins, came in his first season 3 seasons ago. You'd figure someone with all the experience that Blaine had could do something against 2nd string Ds. Blaine is much like Carr. He's so scared to sit in the pocket due to years of failure. I'd be scared to be reliant on Blaine as a 2nd QB, then again I'd be scared to be reliant on anyone other than Kap at QB on our current squad.

What a mistake it was to trade for Gabbert. We shouldn't make trades like Gabbert unless the guaranteed money is minimal. Most of our risky plays were much smarter and didn't cost us much.
Originally posted by ethan:
Young's NFL career stats when he was the age Blaine is now - 1-4 record, 52% comp rate, 56.7 passer rating. The next year in T Bay, he went 2-12, 53% comp rate, 65 passer rating. Gabbert way ahead of where Young was at the same stage of his career.

lol

Steve Young is the exception, not the rule. Most QBs who start out that poorly usually don't amount to anything. You're acting like Gabbert's s**tty start is a sign he's on the path to greatness.....LOL.

I would love to see Gabbert become the next HOF QB to rise from the ashes. But to act like he's on that path based on what we've seen is absurd. Stop comparing him to Steve Young. That rarely ever happens.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
They should have done something with the 2 million that would have helped the team. like buy the webzone beer. they aint geittin jacks**t for the money with gabbert.

It was a risk. It was a risk to pick Colin, that worked out. Tolzien and McCoy are still in the NFL, nate Davis is not. Point is that the QB'S Harbaugh has worked with are still employed. I am very disappointed in Blaine's first preseason game but all is not yet lost. I don't think this will be determined until the 4rth preseason game. And yes I think Josh can be a good 2nd string QB. But Josh has to continue to play a perfect games to beat Blaine.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Wait and see approach. I hope that he rises his game and get's to be the backup.

Not so much for him but for the sake of the team, Johnson has been less than convincing.

Yeah, Johnson has this if he stops making those errors like that fumbled snap handoff.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, Johnson has this if he stops making those errors like that fumbled snap handoff.

JJ posted a 115 passer rating a couple of seasons ago but it still wasn't good enough for Harbaugh who picked Tolzien instead.

Gabbert is merely continuing the pattern he set three years ago -- Marino in practice and Peter Pan in games.

McBLT is the best passer of the three but not really mobile.

The only two mobile QBs available are Vince Young and Tim Tebow.

PRAY FOR KAP TO REMAIN HEALTHY...
In golf, once you lose confidence in your putting stroke, you are toast. In NFL, once you lose confidence in your ability to connect with receivers, likewise. Putting on the practice green, you look great. Putting in a match the collar gets tight, and you choke. Yes some fix it, and yes many others don't. That would seem to explain blaine fairly well, and that doesn't bode well for us at backup QB. There are still QBs to be cut by 31 other teams. Many have 4 or 5 on their squads. I seriously doubt if Trent isn't looking at tape on all of them. Other than that, hope Josh is good enough to beat non elites, or like Kezarvet,start saying the beads for kap.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Originally posted by Giedi:

JJ posted a 115 passer rating a couple of seasons ago but it still wasn't good enough for Harbaugh who picked Tolzien instead.

Gabbert is merely continuing the pattern he set three years ago -- Marino in practice and Peter Pan in games.

McBLT is the best passer of the three but not really mobile.

The only two mobile QBs available are Vince Young and Tim Tebow.

PRAY FOR KAP TO REMAIN HEALTHY...
I just want to say that I don't see Tolzien on the team today, but I do see Josh still competing right now. There *is* a reason they brought Josh back and not Tolzien. And I don't know that reason , but I suspect it has something to do with that 115 passer rating 2 years ago.

I'm not yet giving up on Gabbert. One game - as sucky as it was - is not a large enough sample size to make any determinations yet. Having said that. I think Josh looks as good this year in Preseason as he did when he got that 115 qb rating. Clearly he is rusty - see the fumble handoff - but I think he has the talent to beat Gabbert.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In golf, once you lose confidence in your putting stroke, you are toast. In NFL, once you lose confidence in your ability to connect with receivers, likewise. Putting on the practice green, you look great. Putting in a match the collar gets tight, and you choke. Yes some fix it, and yes many others don't. That would seem to explain blaine fairly well, and that doesn't bode well for us at backup QB. There are still QBs to be cut by 31 other teams. Many have 4 or 5 on their squads. I seriously doubt if Trent isn't looking at tape on all of them. Other than that, hope Josh is good enough to beat non elites, or like Kezarvet,start saying the beads for kap.
I think that's his big problem. Confidence. I think it will take a year or two for him to get that back. (Like Alex) A couple of preseason games is just not enough - specially when his competition can focus on just playing fast because he's been playing in Harbaugh's offensive system since college. Josh has that confidence, Gabbert doesn't.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I think this thread title needs to be longer.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ethan:
Young's NFL career stats when he was the age Blaine is now - 1-4 record, 52% comp rate, 56.7 passer rating. The next year in T Bay, he went 2-12, 53% comp rate, 65 passer rating. Gabbert way ahead of where Young was at the same stage of his career.

lol

Steve Young is the exception, not the rule. Most QBs who start out that poorly usually don't amount to anything. You're acting like Gabbert's s**tty start is a sign he's on the path to greatness.....LOL.

I would love to see Gabbert become the next HOF QB to rise from the ashes. But to act like he's on that path based on what we've seen is absurd. Stop comparing him to Steve Young. That rarely ever happens.

Also: Last Year in college:

Young::: 71.3%, 3902 yards passing (9.1 y/a), 444 yards rushing (4.4 y/a), 33 Pass TDs, 10 INTs, 8 Rush TDs,
Gabbert: 63.4%, 3186 yards passing (6.7 y/a), 232 yards rushing (2.1 y/a), 16 Pass TDs, 9 INTs, 5 Rush TDs

Gabbert wasn't even that successful in a pass happy college spread offense.
[ Edited by Jcool on Aug 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM ]

• HERN
  • Veteran
I Hope We Bring Back Bj Daniels. IMO He Is A Better QB Than The Backups We Have.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Phil:
I'm secretly hoping Gabbert becomes the next Steve Young!

Originally posted by Phil:
I'm secretly hoping Gabbert becomes the next Steve Young!

(lol)
Yeah, and I'm the next MIchael Jackson ...!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
It would be nice if Gabbert plays better tonight than he did in the first preseason game.

What he did in college or on another NFL team does not seem particularly relevant.

What he does here, in SF, is relevant.

[ Edited by buck on Aug 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Blaine Gabbert, QB, No. 2

Coach Jim Harbaugh on Friday rejected the notion (that he created) of any murkiness at the backup position and threw support behind Gabbert.

But Harbaugh has done that before with struggling players �€" A.J. Jenkins springs to mind �€" in an effort to boost their confidence and snap them out of their funk.

Gabbert will be the second 49ers quarterback to enter the game and needs a far stronger showing than his 3-for-11 effort against the Ravens in the preseason opener.

Gabbert drew a smattering of boos at Friday's open practice at Levi's Stadium. Another poor performance and they are sure to grow louder.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/16/6633762/five-49ers-to-watch-against-the.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Aug 17, 2014 at 1:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone