LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

I think the niners need to sign Josh Johnson to a team friendly extension and cut Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Your post lacks any effort at jumping to conclusions and communicating irrational hysteria. It also chiefly relies on common sense which is frowned upon around here in Niners Talk.

Therefore good sir, you are...............

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Your post lacks any effort at jumping to conclusions and communicating irrational hysteria. It also chiefly relies on common sense which is frowned upon around here in Niners Talk.

Therefore good sir, you are...............

Originally posted by FaTaL:
I cant see them eating that 2 mil.

This ^
Antix and Crake, please note I said "So far...". I am not basing a decision on one miserable performance by blaine and a decent one excepting the snap muff, by Josh. But the signing literally rocked me out of my chair. My initial thot was , "coach him up as trade bait for a 2nd next yr". I stay by that. No question he can play in practice, but it for whatever reason doesn't seem to translate to the field.

Giedi, thank you but "great fan" is a lot closer than "great mind", when referring to me. Somebody said in another post,
"but it isn't your $2 mil"...to which I agree. I stand on the issue that trent isn't going to let the 9ers go into the season with a $2mil Backup Qb if he is way less effective than Josh. It remains to be seen, and I can't wait for next game to see if blaine can put it together. Believe me, crake and Antix, I want the best guy out there in that position. If it costs $2mil down the toilet, then so be it. Remember, jed probably has a few dollars more than I do. Correction. Jed's tax bill last yr was probably 1/100th of what I earned in 45 yrs combined.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ok, I've posted this many times before. Backup qb is to get you thru a rough patch when Kap goes down with a concussion, a hammy, a high ankle, etc. Your backup is there to keep you in the race. He should be able to run the team well enough to win games against the non elites. He will not win against the elites...that is just asking too much. You want him to win the games he can manage us thru. For the last 3 yrs that was NOT gabbert and that was Josh for the last several. As crabman says, you don't win it all with a backup. The #2 QB is just to keep you in the race and win those games against weaker teams where the D and ST wins it. Qb's job there is not to lose it. So far blaine would be a very poor choice for that task.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember a guy with a $2mil guaranteed contract that actually got cut...at any position. But if blaine continues on present course, I would hope that trent would do the right thing and cut him. If blaine just can't cut it, that will be an interesting scenario. Trent will NOT let a vastly inferior QB be the #2 if someone else is way better. If even, that's different, but if it stays like this, Trent will not jeopardize the team's ability to win without kap against weak teams.

Johnson has never won a game in the NFL. At least Gabbert managed to win a handful of them while playing for the worst team in the league the past three years.

this is a good point. These clowns here saying he sucks after 1 quarter of playing, need to relax.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Josh Johnson really isn't that good. He's not the long term solution for backup QB

Lets not forget...(1) Josh Johnson has been cut by the Bucs, 49ers and Bengals after either being their back-up QB or competing to be their back-up QB and there's no indication that there was a mad rush of teams looking to sign him after he was cut by the Bengals; (2) When Johnson was here a couple of years ago, he arguably out played Kap and Tolzein in the pre-season games and still got cut. Kap was never going to get cut, but it just goes to show that practice and classroom work are at least as important as the pre-season games; and (3) Johnson could very well be here to "compete" with Gabbert so that at the time of the final roster cuts, the 49ers can go to Gabbert and tell him that he needs to take a pay cut or he will be released. At that point, his choice will be to be released and get the $2M but then have to try to latch on to a team without having been in camp and having to learn a new system on the fly without getting any reps in practice or take the pay cut, stay with the 49ers and continue to get better while running the scout team each week in making his case for a contract extension next year.

Johnson could very well end up being the back-up QB at the time of the final cut down...and it could end up being like last year with QB's being brought in periodically throughout the year for tryouts. Regardless, nothing in his history around the league or with the 49ers shows that he is the long term solution as Kap's back-up.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
JJ = puke

Gabby = vomit

pick your poison... I meant pick your throw up
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Gabbert is four years younger than Johnson, and a year younger than Bethel-Thompson. He has more career starts than any QB on the roster including Kaepernick. He's the last guy they're going to cut.
Im pretty sure ethan is gabberts wife.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
Im pretty sure ethan is gabberts wife.

Just highlighting the facts.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:
Lets not forget...(1) Josh Johnson has been cut by the Bucs, 49ers and Bengals after either being their back-up QB or competing to be their back-up QB and there's no indication that there was a mad rush of teams looking to sign him after he was cut by the Bengals; (2) When Johnson was here a couple of years ago, he arguably out played Kap and Tolzein in the pre-season games and still got cut. Kap was never going to get cut, but it just goes to show that practice and classroom work are at least as important as the pre-season games; and (3) Johnson could very well be here to "compete" with Gabbert so that at the time of the final roster cuts, the 49ers can go to Gabbert and tell him that he needs to take a pay cut or he will be released. At that point, his choice will be to be released and get the $2M but then have to try to latch on to a team without having been in camp and having to learn a new system on the fly without getting any reps in practice or take the pay cut, stay with the 49ers and continue to get better while running the scout team each week in making his case for a contract extension next year.

Johnson could very well end up being the back-up QB at the time of the final cut down...and it could end up being like last year with QB's being brought in periodically throughout the year for tryouts. Regardless, nothing in his history around the league or with the 49ers shows that he is the long term solution as Kap's back-up.
Gabbert isn't going to renegotiate his deal under ANY circumstances. You can put that thought to bed.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
1. Gabbert is better than Johnson with his right arm in a cast and a pit bull hanging from his leg.
2. There is no advantage to cutting Gabbert, they still have to pay him his full salary.
3. He is a free agent at the end of the year, if the 49ers make him the best offer he returns.

Just to kindly respond to this:

1. Maybe in practice, but not on the field so far, and Johnson knows the system better.

2. There is, we could sign a veteran backup to mentor the younger QBs and point out things a younger guy might not see. If Gabbert continues to falter mightily, they can ask him to restructure and take away the guaranteed money in order to stay on the roster. If he declines, he gets cut and has the risk of never playing on an NFL roster again with the label of "can't even be fixed by Harbaugh" on him.

3. If he's not good enough, he'll be a free agent before the end of the pre-season.
This I fully expect Gabbert to be cut if his play during the preseason don't improve. Unless we drafted him I cannot imagine JH tolerating keeping a guy on this roster when another guy has preformed better, especially if it comes down to the lase few cuts.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
If you take a close look at Gabbert in that game, it isn't nearly as bad as the Chicken Littles going on the stats make it out to be. At least three of his passes were dropped, and the two to Patton looked like miscommunication issues. Patton is Kaepernick's butt boy, and as dumb as dirt, so I would reserve judgment on those.. The coaches will know who bears responsibility.
We should drafted Logan Thomas and groomed him for a few years.
If you take a close look at Gabbert in that game, it isn't nearly as bad as the Chicken Littles going on the stats make it out to be. At least three of his passes were dropped, and the two to Patton looked like miscommunication issues. Patton is Kaepernick's butt boy, and as dumb as dirt, so I would reserve judgment on those.. The coaches will know who bears responsibility.

I'm sure your opinion of his intelligence matters greatly to him.
Boldin played QB before this might be the 1st team in history NOT to carry a backup QB
Share 49ersWebzone