LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

I think the niners need to sign Josh Johnson to a team friendly extension and cut Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hear me out, the niners need a long term back up to CK7. Josh Johnson is familliar with Harbaugh, is still relatively young, and can fill in if gulp CK7 gets injured. I say offer him a 4 year 5 million dollar contract with very little guaranteed money. This way he can be cut, if need be, the flip side is he is under contract for 4 more years, so the qb situation is set with starter and back up for four years. Keep drafting developmental qb's and see what happens.

Just my humble opinion becuase I would prefer JJ to be the back up over Gabbert.
I think the 49ers need to use all of the pre-season games to assess the various options at qb and act appropriately. What's that you say, Mr Baalke? In hand huh?
Originally posted by English:
I think the 49ers need to use all of the pre-season games to assess the various options at qb and act appropriately. What's that you say, Mr Baalke? In hand huh?

Your post lacks any effort at jumping to conclusions and communicating irrational hysteria. It also chiefly relies on common sense which is frowned upon around here in Niners Talk.

Therefore good sir, you are...............

This. Granted, Gabbert had a horrendous first showing (hourrendous for English) but I think signing Johnson based on the couple of snaps he took is a bit hasty.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yes after 1 preseason game they should sign Josh to a 5 million a year contract for five years.

Kidding! But I do agree with the poster in that so far Josh looked a hell of a lot better than Blaine. And I do think Josh will ultimately win the backup competition- regardless of the 2 million gabbert guaranteed money.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Yes after 1 preseason game they should sign Josh to a 5 million a year contract for five years.

Kidding! But I do agree with the poster in that so far Josh looked a hell of a lot better than Blaine. And I do think Josh will ultimately win the backup competition- regardless of the 2 million gabbert guaranteed money.

What part of having a long term back up for a million dollars a year is so hard to comprehend??
Harbaugh blew it a couple of years ago when JJ posted a 115 PR in preseason and clearly outplayed Scott Tolzien. Harbaugh picked Tolzien.

Now JJ is clearly the better backup for Kap. He knows the system, is comfortable in the pocket, has great mobility and throws very well on the run.

Unless they have PROMISED the backup position to Gabbert, JJ should get the spot. Gabbert is Dan Marino in practice; Peter Pan on the field.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Harbaugh blew it a couple of years ago when JJ posted a 115 PR in preseason and clearly outplayed Scott Tolzien. Harbaugh picked Tolzien.

How did he "blow it"?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kezarvet49:

Now JJ is clearly the better backup for Kap. He knows the system, is comfortable in the pocket, has great mobility and throws very well on the run.

Unless they have PROMISED the backup position to Gabbert, JJ should get the spot. Gabbert is Dan Marino in practice; Peter Pan on the field.

agree!
I think there is a little time left to make a decision on the back up....we have 3 more preseason games to go. Does Gabby look good...hels naw. But it is far to early in the race to kick him to the curb.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Your post lacks any effort at jumping to conclusions and communicating irrational hysteria. It also chiefly relies on common sense which is frowned upon around here in Niners Talk.

Therefore good sir, you are...............

Damn.
Josh Johnson really isn't that good. He's not the long term solution for backup QB
i couldnt care less if they had 10 different #2 qbs over the next 10 years, no matter who it is we arent winning it all with a backup. having a steve young, aaron rodgers or colin kaepernick backing up your starter is super rare. most back ups suck ass.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
1. Gabbert is better than Johnson with his right arm in a cast and a pit bull hanging from his leg.
2. There is no advantage to cutting Gabbert, they still have to pay him his full salary.
3. He is a free agent at the end of the year, if the 49ers make him the best offer he returns.
Ok, I've posted this many times before. Backup qb is to get you thru a rough patch when Kap goes down with a concussion, a hammy, a high ankle, etc. Your backup is there to keep you in the race. He should be able to run the team well enough to win games against the non elites. He will not win against the elites...that is just asking too much. You want him to win the games he can manage us thru. For the last 3 yrs that was NOT gabbert and that was Josh for the last several. As crabman says, you don't win it all with a backup. The #2 QB is just to keep you in the race and win those games against weaker teams where the D and ST wins it. Qb's job there is not to lose it. So far blaine would be a very poor choice for that task.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember a guy with a $2mil guaranteed contract that actually got cut...at any position. But if blaine continues on present course, I would hope that trent would do the right thing and cut him. If blaine just can't cut it, that will be an interesting scenario. Trent will NOT let a vastly inferior QB be the #2 if someone else is way better. If even, that's different, but if it stays like this, Trent will not jeopardize the team's ability to win without kap against weak teams.
Share 49ersWebzone