There are 171 users in the forums

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

If it's not a 1st rounder I don't want it. That 1st rounder won't even be on the squad for another year. If we let Boone hold out, we'll have him under contract next season and he'll almost certainly be better than any rookie that we could draft next year
aside from the so far failing trent richardson trade, can anyone name a recent nfl trade that happened in august or september where the team trading the player got back a 1st or 2nd round pick? i think boone could have 2nd round value, i dont think anyone will come remotely close to giving you that around this time of the year.
Originally posted by crabman82:
aside from the so far failing trent richardson trade, can anyone name a recent nfl trade that happened in august or september where the team trading the player got back a 1st or 2nd round pick? i think boone could have 2nd round value, i dont think anyone will come remotely close to giving you that around this time of the year.

On which basis I would argue that the trade is pointless. A high 2nd would be my minimum. A 3rd or lower isn't going to contribute for another two years at best. Better to let him sweat a little then show him some money and the chance of earning more with a successful team.
Regarding the possible third way, I agree that it's hard to fathom what that would be. Right now, there are only two viable ways - Boone either plays with the Niners or he doesn't play. If he's not playing, I don't see what value the team gets out of him sitting and stewing about how he's getting a bum deal. I still don't see why some fans around here think that the team should afford Boone a luxury they were unwilling to concede to Frank Gore. I'll never get that. So if he won't at least do what Gore did and report in good faith to begin negotiations, this is an impasse that cannot be bridged unless Boone changes his mindset.

That being the case, I just want to see what value the team can get for him. I don't agree that he's an all-pro. If he were all-pro, then he would have made all-pro. I think he's real good. I think Brandon Thomas may be even better - we'll see - he was the consensus best guard in the draft this year. So, I'm not as worried about the future as some are around here. Baalke is always thinking one or two years into the future. So at this point, I'm just interested in what one or two of the four or five teams that seem to be interested are willing to spend. There are lots of ways the Niners could get future or even current value out of this situation.
I'd say a 3rd round pick at best. Every time I say a player traded for a pick, they always get traded for way less than I thought they would be. The NFL places a ton of value on picks.

Stevie Johnson was traded for a 4th round pick.

And even though he is sober now, its always going to be a red flag on him.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'd say a 3rd round pick at best. Every time I say a player traded for a pick, they always get traded for way less than I thought they would be. The NFL places a ton of value on picks.

So you're basically saying, there's no way I'm hell you would trade him?
1st or 2nd round pick, depending on the potential trade partner. Boones youth, lack of injury history and obvious ability to play multiple pos at least at an above average level (some may say PB level) warrants picks beyond just a mid round pick

Just my 2 cents
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

For sure. If he's traded for a first round pick I will eat my hat.

That said, Alex Smith brought in way more than I was expecting.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
So you're basically saying, there's no way I'm hell you would trade him?

I wouldn't because Baalke wins deals and if we give Boone away for a measly 3rd then we've lost that deal handily! We've made some other team better while making ourselves worse. It ain't a situation where we have to do a salary dump. If we moved him it would simply be a matter of us not withstanding the pressure because we have absolutely nothing to gain by trading him vs what we would lose. He is best sitting on reserve/not reporting until he inevitably reports. This is what Baalke will do and it is the right move. We are not in the business of losing trades and were not in the business of making others better
I don't think we move him or do anything at all until he reaches out to us.
Trading him away or extending him before he comes back opens the door for guys like Vernon to go back and try again next year.
It's a game of chicken and we hold all the cards,

Boone needs to quit pouting about the contract he agreed to and show up and make it right.

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by saj4423:
To get him in camp I can see them waving any fines this year for not showing up and voiding the last year on the deal so he will become a FA at the end of the year.

If he does continue to hold out what week does he have to report in to get credit for the year?

Why on earth would we do that?!

He has to show up by week 8. If that's what it comes to, then that's what it comes to. I'm sure we can survive until then, but I'm guessing he'll show before then.
To get him to show up this year and if he leaves in 2015 take the comp pick
I sure hope to God that Staley, Kap, Willis and the other team leaders are in this guy's ear on a daily basis reminding him that this is a super bowl team that is working very hard to get a trophy they've been so close to getting each of the past 3 years. If he wants his money, his best bet is to dominate on the field and help the team win the lombardi..
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I sure hope to God that Staley, Kap, Willis and the other team leaders are in this guy's ear on a daily basis reminding him that this is a super bowl team that is working very hard to get a trophy they've been so close to getting each of the past 3 years. If he wants his money, his best bet is to dominate on the field and help the team win the lombardi..

they're in camp working on their games. i bet they're not even talking let alone on a daily basis. and not out of spite they're just busy and cant concern themselves with some petty s**t like this.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
A lot of rumors swirling about Boone being traded. I think he is worth a 1st round pick. He is holding out because we won't pay him the starting tackle money he deserves. Boone is a bona fide stud left tackle that we play out of position at RG. Every WZer knows it's true. We pay him back up money and he knows he can multiply his salary many many times over by holding out and being traded. We aren't offering teams a RG. We are offering a LT and a great one at that. That should fetch a 1st round pick in my estimation.

A great LT? That's a bit of a reach. Yes, his natural position is OT. Yes, he played well in at OT in the Rams game last year. Yes, he's played well at RG, but he isn't even the best G on the team. All of which means that, yes, the 49ers can probably ask for a little more for Boone than if he was strictly a LG or RG, but lets not get crazy in calling him a "great" LT.

That said, as long as they can go forward with Looney/Snyder/Martin/Seymour/etc., there's no rush to trade him unless they are blown away with an offer. Let him sit and decide if he wants to give up the full year of service time or if he will end his holdout before mid-season. If he doesn't, he sits, the 49ers continue forward and revisit it in the off-season, with the possibility of trading him prior to or during the draft if it cannot otherwise be resolved. My guess, though, is they would take a 2nd for him.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
3rd Rounder or equivalent player in a position of need like NT. He isnt a pro-bowler no matter how much you call him one, he has never been there. He will hold out for his new team all over again if he doesnt get a deal, so he wont be cheap, and everyone knows that he came into the league with enough personal issues to go undrafted. Is he good yeah, he is a starter and a damn fine one, but he is still a gaurd until he proves otherwise which is valued lower than a tackle, and there is baggage there that will drag down his value.

He really should have come into camp this year and tried to work on a new deal through the season. Our team rewards loyalty like that....holdouts do not get the same treatment. Now he could end up on a team in rebuild mode or worse a perenial looser all for money he may have gotten anyway if he had come in and worked hard like a team player and shown a little loyalty to the organization that salvaged him from the scrap heap when nobody was giving him a chance.

Boone was one of the best Gs in football in 2012. Last year there was a drop in his play for sure. However, in 2012, it didn't matter that he didn't make the pro-bowl, he was pro-bowl caliber player. Trading that for a 3rd rounder or a position of need like NT, is absurd when you consider that we'd likely get a third round compensatory selection when he leaves. Not too mention, him being traded for a position of need would simply shift positions of need (ie his current position of G/Swing Tackle would become a position of need). Then on top of that, we would be giving in to a player and agent holding out. This is simply a precedent that we don't have to, or want to, set. He's a valuable member of this team and he'll remain one once he shows up.

Look nobody is saying that is what we want for him, but the market for an OG isnt what you all think it is. They rarely get drafted in the first, they dont get paid like tackles and that is just how it is. Calling him a pro bowler doenst make him one, and believe it or not the title actually matters in terms of marketing him to other teams. Calling him a tackle doesnt make him one because he hasnt started at the position. Is he valuable sure, he is more valuable than his contract by far and more valuable as a player to us right now than he is as a trade piece....but that doesnt change the simple fact that teams dont give up first rounders for an OG on a short deal that they would need to immedately re-up for pretty big money just to get him into what is left of training camp. This isnt about what you want for him, it is about what you can get and unless somebody gets super desperate or there is a GM out there with a crush the best we are going to do is right around a thrid or trading for a player of equal value.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone