LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's the right price for trading Alex Boone?

Can anyone pull up the history of O-linemen being traded and what the return was?
If he played out he's deal and walked in FA the most we'd get in return is a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2017. So a 3rd or 4th rounder is rock bottom minimum IMO.
Baalke is all bizz
Two scenarios
1/ he founds a trade partner at his price and boone is gone. I think he's looking for a high to mid 2nd or a low 2nd plus a conditonal 3rd (depending of the quality of the trade partner)
2/ nobody pays the price and he remains a niner for two years, playing or holding out
I do think his true value is that of a 1st rd pick... but with the contract issues, I wouldn't expect to get more than a 2nd.

Wouldn't trade him for less.
Lol @ Boone being average...

We'll see ( hopefully not) how average he is if Kaep gets injured...
To get him in camp I can see them waving any fines this year for not showing up and voiding the last year on the deal so he will become a FA at the end of the year.

If he does continue to hold out what week does he have to report in to get credit for the year?
Boone needs to start this process by firing his agent.....bad advice all around. This is now a pissing contest.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Boone needs to start this process by firing his agent.....bad advice all around. This is now a pissing contest.

Agreed. Fire agent. Show up. Work hard. Get extentsion. Pretty simple.
3rd Rounder or equivalent player in a position of need like NT. He isnt a pro-bowler no matter how much you call him one, he has never been there. He will hold out for his new team all over again if he doesnt get a deal, so he wont be cheap, and everyone knows that he came into the league with enough personal issues to go undrafted. Is he good yeah, he is a starter and a damn fine one, but he is still a gaurd until he proves otherwise which is valued lower than a tackle, and there is baggage there that will drag down his value.

He really should have come into camp this year and tried to work on a new deal through the season. Our team rewards loyalty like that....holdouts do not get the same treatment. Now he could end up on a team in rebuild mode or worse a perenial looser all for money he may have gotten anyway if he had come in and worked hard like a team player and shown a little loyalty to the organization that salvaged him from the scrap heap when nobody was giving him a chance.
Who?

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by saj4423:
To get him in camp I can see them waving any fines this year for not showing up and voiding the last year on the deal so he will become a FA at the end of the year.

If he does continue to hold out what week does he have to report in to get credit for the year?

Why on earth would we do that?!

He has to show up by week 8. If that's what it comes to, then that's what it comes to. I'm sure we can survive until then, but I'm guessing he'll show before then.

Wtf???

Agree 100% with Amp... How would that benefit the 49ers leverage???
I voted 2nd. The team is in a power position because they dont have to trade him for salary reasons or any other reasons. They could fish him and ultimately get whatever they want because teams need him and not the other way around so it could drive his value up. If he is traded I woukd like it to be for a starting NT and a 3rd. That would be ideal. If only a pick I would hold out for a 1st in 15 n 3rd or 4th in 16. It just better not be the TO fiasco where we gave away one of games top wr for dog crap
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Just wondering what ever happened to the guys who bashed me for posting the idea of trading Boone away.. to either KC or the Jets.. as far as his worth, lets get real here, he may be a future Pro Bowler, or even an All Pro, but as of this moment, I'd be more than happy to get a 2nd, or even a 3rd and a 4th..
The Bucs evidently want Boone badly but probably don't want to spend picks because they're in a rebuilding phase. The Browns and Giants are reportedly interested and they both have some big-bodied nose tackle types on their rosters. The Jags are interested and they have some valuable draft picks to offer - a second from the Jags would be up there close to the first round.
AmpLee, Phoenix, Pillbusta, Giedi...all have it right. To build a team you build your lines first, and if you happen to have a good or up and coming QB (eg Manziel), or a building team like JAX, then Boone is worth way more than just getting an OG in the draft. First rd at the very least.

That said, like those above, why do we trade him? Ok, he stays out of camp...at latest 8 weeks, then he has to come back or this yr doesn't count toward his yr of service. And that is antithetical to what boone wants. Somebody ought to meet with his agent and beat him with some wet spaghetti to make the guy realize he is drawing to an inside straight and the card he needs is in our hands. ie, he can't win. And staying out of camp means no deals...and if reports are correct, this is costing boone a fortune. Still I would NOT trade boone, in that if you have an all pro OG or OT, that is the last guy on the team you want to get rid of and the first guy you want to build your team. True, it would mean money for Iupati's re-signing, but boone is younger, he is great, but he is definitely fukced up on this holdout. Somebody obviously got into his head about how good he is and how much he really is worth. But they forgot to tell him the consequences.

Maybe there is a 3rd way...there has to be, and that is where we should be expending thot and energy at present. Wish I knew it but after 6 weeks, no good answers. First answer would be to schidt can his "agent" who must be a moron. Then I would go from there. If I were in the F.O., that is where I would be working...trying to get boone to axe his agent. I think we might have a better chance after that. As I recall, this situation does NOT qualify for arbitration, altho it might be of benefit here. Arbitration is for guys trying to sign and this isn't that.

I would love to see some other folks ideas for a third way.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone