LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 180 users in the forums

Will it be the ole Greg Roman play calling again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Phil:
Sherman without holding. Enjoy those new penalties this season Sherman!

Right. He even puts his hands out and tries to get Stevie before Stevie makes his last cut, but he can't grab him and Johnson is gone - he's in another time zone.

Someone should put together a "highlight" reel of Sherman holding and making illegal contact and attempting to hold/make illegal contact.
Sherman without holding. Enjoy those new penalties this season Sherman!

Right. He even puts his hands out and tries to get Stevie before Stevie makes his last cut, but he can't grab him and Johnson is gone - he's in another time zone.

Someone should put together a "highlight" reel of Sherman holding and making illegal contact and attempting to hold/make illegal contact.

He and the entire secondary...BUT, that would be the longest youtube video in history.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
One play calling I don't wanna see is when the FB goes on motion and line up wide..

the heck, who are we kidding?? Who in the hell would fear our FB going out on motion and lining up as a wide receiver, that's just trouble.. it's calling for the defense to come and blitz... we're better off keeping him in the backfield to block, than having him run one of those pattern from the passing tree..
Originally posted by 9moon:
One play calling I don't wanna see is when the FB goes on motion and line up wide..

the heck, who are we kidding?? Who in the hell would fear our FB going out on motion and lining up as a wide receiver, that's just trouble.. it's calling for the defense to come and blitz... we're better off keeping him in the backfield to block, than having him run one of those pattern from the passing tree..

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Do not listen to what roman says just watch what harbaugh does

Harbs is (partially) to blame for Roman / play calling?

yup

I feel ya....
Probably the thing I'm most fascinated to see is how Harbaugh/Roman distribute snaps between the 5th skill guy. We know that Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon, and a tailback will be on the field virtually every snap. So I wonder how the % of snaps will be distributed for that last spot between Miller, McDonald, Stevie/another WR, and an extra OL/#3 TE. My guess would be 37% Miller, 37% Stevie/another WR, 23% McDonald, 5% extra OL/#3 TE (combing to be a bit over 100% because 3 TEs necessarily means Crabtree or Boldin comes off the field).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Per Kevin Lynch; According #49ers stats, the 49ers were called for 13 delay of game penalties last year, which is over three times the league average.

They had another one with CK under center and I saw Boldin throw up his arms. There is a serious problem here.

This is another 'bug' in this offense that I'd like to see finally improved and refined. I remember reading a report in the TC thread during our joint practice with the Ravens, that for every two plays the Ravens ran, we were just getting out our first. Ugh. So frustrating that this has been a glaring issue for years and the coaches refuse to adjust.
Sure hope the play calling is better than last year, but I worry when I continue to see
- the lack of improvement in the delay of game penalties
- although I realize its the pre-season, seeing the lack of Red Zone offense even when Kap is running the offense worries me
One does simply pass on Seattle.

football season is a marathon. neither one or ten gifs change the fact that seattle in regular season allowed only one team to pass over 300 yards, and only five teams over 200 yards.

the key to beating seattle, is again, not in the hands of the passing game. and definitely not in hands of OUR passing game

you can look at first game vs seattle and second game against seattle. besides one being on the road, we won because we committed 4 less turnovers and had over 150 rush yards

again, in EVERY game (including playoffs) seattle allowed 135+ rushing yards they either lost or won by no more than 6 points. passing on them just plays further to their strength.
Originally posted by deepniner:
Sure hope the play calling is better than last year, but I worry when I continue to see
- although I realize its the pre-season, seeing the lack of Red Zone offense even when Kap is running the offense worries me

The common theory for lack of scoring/red zone production this preseason seems to be that Roman is being extra vanilla so as to not reveal what's up his sleeve until Dallas. I feel like I've heard that one before but I sure hope that's the case. That new secondary is going to be tested the first few weeks and it's very possible the defense as a whole takes a step back, at least in the first half of the season until Aldon/Bow return. If Roman is still relying on FGs and Dalton's leg as a crutch in the red zone even after Baalke went out and got him new weapons, we need a new OC.

Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by deepniner:

The common theory for lack of scoring/red zone production this preseason seems to be that Roman is being extra vanilla so as to not reveal what's up his sleeve until Dallas. I feel like I've heard that one before but I sure hope that's the case. That new secondary is going to be tested the first few weeks and it's very possible the defense as a whole takes a step back, at least in the first half of the season until Aldon/Bow return. If Roman is still relying on FGs and Dalton's leg as a crutch in the red zone even after Baalke went out and got him new weapons, we need a new OC.

Hear that every year. Every year the same problems arise. Passing game struggles, no red zone offense, play clock management.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
One does simply pass on Seattle.

football season is a marathon. neither one or ten gifs change the fact that seattle in regular season allowed only one team to pass over 300 yards, and only five teams over 200 yards.

the key to beating seattle, is again, not in the hands of the passing game. and definitely not in hands of OUR passing game

you can look at first game vs seattle and second game against seattle. besides one being on the road, we won because we committed 4 less turnovers and had over 150 rush yards

again, in EVERY game (including playoffs) seattle allowed 135+ rushing yards they either lost or won by no more than 6 points. passing on them just plays further to their strength.

solid!

However, new rules and best offensive weapons we've had in over a decade... we shall see.
^^^ Stevie Johnson shaking and baking!

The Dick Shaker!

Now that is a nickname that is worthwhile ... witty with a hint of innuendo. I wonder if the NFL, or the stadium, would let you put up a banner that said this?
someone should post a video of all the holding the Seattle cb's have done in the past year or so.. would be interesting
[ Edited by tondiman on Aug 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
^^^ Stevie Johnson shaking and baking!

The Dick Shaker!

Now that is a nickname that is worthwhile ... witty with a hint of innuendo. I wonder if the NFL, or the stadium, would let you put up a banner that said this?

It's not only his name, it's his personality. Can't ban a sign when referring to a player's name, right?
Share 49ersWebzone