LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Will it be the ole Greg Roman play calling again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Do not listen to what roman says just watch what harbaugh does
[ Edited by Allx9er on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I'm a supporter of Greg Roman...even though I didn't support his play calls in the last two season ending losses that were IMO directly connected to his play calling. I think he's a good coordinator and a strong leader on this team. The success in the development of the guys on offense speak to that.

This being said I feel like this is a make or break season for the guy. He's been given all the tools in the world...his guys have the experience now too. No more excuses. If he eventually wants a HC gig in this league this is it. A stumble again in the postseason and I could see him looked over yet again for a HC gig and possibly out of a job. Just speculation but man for some reason I can't get the last series of the SB out of my head today. To come back from 30 points and decide not punch it in with a young gore inside the 5 yard line.

Anyway SB or bust and I like our odds.
Originally posted by jcs:
I'm a supporter of Greg Roman...even though I didn't support his play calls in the last two season ending losses that were IMO directly connected to his play calling. I think he's a good coordinator and a strong leader on this team. The success in the development of the guys on offense speak to that.

This being said I feel like this is a make or break season for the guy. He's been given all the tools in the world...his guys have the experience now too. No more excuses. If he eventually wants a HC gig in this league this is it. A stumble again in the postseason and I could see him looked over yet again for a HC gig and possibly out of a job. Just speculation but man for some reason I can't get the last series of the SB out of my head today. To come back from 30 points and decide not punch it in with a young gore inside the 5 yard line.

Anyway SB or bust and I like our odds.
Sorry that we have to agree to disagree but I lost my faith in Roman after the Super Bowl. IMO that would have been the time to change to someone with a more dynamic and refined passing scheme. I just don't believe in handing a team as loaded as the Niners were/are over to someone that is "learning as he goes" and is not a great passing coordinator in a passing league, particularly this season when refs are throwing flags on DB's if they look at WR's the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be as happy if Roman's "new passing offense" is a success and wins the Niners another Lombardi. I just don't see it happening which is a shame for players on their way to retirement that won't get that ring.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Harbs is (partially) to blame for Roman / play calling?
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Harbs is (partially) to blame for Roman / play calling?

yup
hopefully our passing attack is more effective and we use some 3 WR sets , but I don't expect us to go too far away from the "bloody knuckles running attack" ...Harbaugh & Roman like to play with a FB & TE the majority of the time, so I cant picture the offense opening up and being a pass first team ...we'll see some new wrinkles obviously with the infusion of talent on offense, but were still going to pound the rock hard before we attack downfield with multiple receivers
Initially I said that IF romn couldn't get it done this yr then he was gone. Then NC said that if our passing game went to heck and gone, that he didn't see romn making it past mid season. If we happen to come out of the gate slow, our passing game looks once again like last yr, I see romn gone by 4th game of yr. Look, with a SB caliber team, backups all around...except at Qb...we should do very well this yr. This just seems to be our SB yr...and to win it, not just participate. If romn still can't get a coherent offensive game plan going, and our passing game stinks, having romn "learning as he goes" just isn't good enough anymore, no matter how good a friend he is of JH. So, we lose a couple early, our passing game stinks, romn has no idea how to use the pass to set up the run, then he SHOULD be gone by end of game 4. You can't have a SB team, 3 yrs running , held back by a lame. And that to date is our OC.

"Oh, but he has had us in NFCC game 3 yrs in a row and one year the SB", some will say. Well, my take is we got there in spite of romn and his crappy O calls on sheer talent, not on a great OC. Time is come to move on, get a real professional. romn is just an imitator...an amateur. I guess I could stand him for three games this yr, but during that time we will have 4 T.O.s called per game for not getting plays in on time...when JH said there would be no more of that. Right. 2 PS games and already romn can't get calls in on time. Hell, that alone is reason to fire the guy...but there are plenty others.

I can see it now, a new cheer. "GO , romn, GO. Go far , far away."
It will be an interesting year. No excuses for a bad offense and late play-calls. The team has undeniable talent at most positions, some of it superior. Is JH a genius at resurrecting a program, but mediocre at game-day coaching? The pressure is really on and it would not be unexpected to see JH have to take his act down the road if the team does not play up to expectations.
2013 beginning receiver corps: Boldin, Patton, K.Williams, Marlon Moore, Jon Baldwin

2014 probable beginning receiver corps: Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Ellington, Patton and either Lloyd or Osgood

How could the passing game NOT be better this year? In his brief appearances, we've already seen Kaepernick going through multiple reads and hitting check down passes to running backs. If Roman cannot call a better passing attack with this, then I'll be ready to jump on the anti-Roman bus with everyone else.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I dont really understand why people think the passing game needs to be all that great to beat seattle. one does not simply pass on seattle. they had great QBs, who even the biggest homers on this board will admit are better than Kaep, and offensive geniuses looking silly. they put 9-10 men in the box against the saints and (to lesser extent) against the broncos offense, and not only were they able to get away with it, most of those games were a laugher

you do not beat seattle by attacking what they do best with a passing offense that is inefficient and relies too much on individual talent.
you beat seattle by running the ball, not turning the ball over and grinding it out. Im sorry, if peyton + peyton or brees+payton cannot do it with amazing offense, nor can we.

look at the games where seattle lost or was close to losing last year. nearly every game featured the opposite team running the ball well. its not a coincidence.

do the Niners need a good passing game ? of course, and we definitely need it to start the season when our defense is without 'Vorro and Aldon, and secondary is gelling while facing good offensive teams with bad defenses.

we do not need a good passing game to beat seattle. if we can run on them, we can beat them. this is where Kaep comes in as wildcard with those legs

with that said, Im pretty skeptical about Roman's words. I do not think we see many changes he promised, but thats just my hunch. Plays will still take agonizingly long time to get called in.

One does simply pass on Seattle.

• Phil
  • Veteran
Sherman without holding. Enjoy those new penalties this season Sherman!
^^^ Stevie Johnson shaking and baking!
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Toasting and roasting. Sherman looks like a confused little boy who's toy was stolen by the time he gets in the endzone and realizes what happened. I think we might see that look on him a lot more this season. His helmet will also have yellow flags stuck in the facemask. That and sod.
Originally posted by Phil:
Sherman without holding. Enjoy those new penalties this season Sherman!

Right. He even puts his hands out and tries to get Stevie before Stevie makes his last cut, but he can't grab him and Johnson is gone - he's in another time zone.
Originally posted by crake49:
^^^ Stevie Johnson shaking and baking!

The Dick Shaker!
Share 49ersWebzone