There are 209 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dial and Hyde were clearly the stars. I for one hope Dial starts over Purcell. I saw a number of times where the RB ran right by Purcell for a big gain and/or a first down. Dial on the other hand was an absolute beast. The best option probably be that Ian gets healthy, but between Dial and Purcell I hope that Dial would get the call. Still, it's only one game so maybe I'm jumping the gun.

Other winners

Chris Cook
Jimmy Ward
Tank Carradine
Vance McDonald
Bruce Ellington

Other losers
Gabbert
Hampton
Martin
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Won't read 7 pages but I find it funny that 80% of the posts on page 1 say Purcell had a bad game when the beat writers all said that Purcell, Carradine, and Dial was the best part of the defense.

Hyde, Ellington, the 2nd team DL, and Ward all had great starts to the season.

I do agree with the sentiment that if Ellington continues on this trend with KRs/PRs then we might as well send LMJ packing if the team is comfortable with the RB depth it has otherwise he better make some noise on offense to give the team a reason to keep him.
Carlos Hyde's the real deal
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by CrimsonCrew:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Gabbert is a strong practice player. He just sucks in games.

He can't handle pass rush. Too early to write him off at this point, but if he can't play in a messy pocket, he can't play in the NFL.

Did he play flag football in college?

Pretty much. Played in one of those gimmick spread offenses, where the ball comes out quick and there is always someone wide open underneath.
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Carlos Hyde's the real deal

Yes sir!
Dial and the rest of the defensive line and LBs didn't play well against the 1's from baltimore. Dial started playing well against the 2s and 3s.

The 49er defense came out flat against the ravens in the 1st quarter.

I hope/wish they make kap throw the ball in the preseason. The 49er passing game is far from a decent attack.

When Dobbs first came out, he played very well against the 2s and 3s of the world and nearly dominated. But during games, dobbs became very average against opposing team starters. I can see dial doing the same thing.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:51 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Won't read 7 pages but I find it funny that 80% of the posts on page 1 say Purcell had a bad game when the beat writers all said that Purcell, Carradine, and Dial was the best part of the defense.

Well the Ravens rushed for 237 yards. Pretty easy to do the math. He ended up with quite a few tackles, but Purcell was getting pushed around pretty hard in the first half, and they were running right at him.
One more observation, okoye can dominate offensive lineman. There were more than a couple of plays were he man handled the guy trying to block him. He pushed his guy back 2 yards forcing the RB to alter his route. I reserved my opinion on this guy until I could see him play. He has a very high ceiling. I hope they keep him and let him continue to develop.

Also, I don't see anything special about borland as a linebacker. He stays two or three yards away from the LOS, I don't see this guy as somebody who meets RBs in the hole for no gain or a loss. Hopefully I am wrong but I don't see it yet.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:
Dial and the rest of the defensive line and LBs didn't play well against the 1's from baltimore. Dial started playing well against the 2s and 3s.

I hope/wish they make kap throw the ball in the preseason. The 49er passing game is far from a decent attack.

Dial's play against the 1s comes with the asterisk of playing next to a player with no experience playing football ever. Being completely frank -- 1 year of football 1 offseason, 3 preseason games and a year on IR with another offseason to finish off Okoye's first year in football still means he is a greener than a piece of asparagus. A lot of the Raven's great run plays went right the gap betwen Dial Okoye or bounced outside of Okoye.
Don't understand not throwing the ball at least once on the goal line during the first drive to show versatility. Run Run Run FG

Originally posted by Disp:

Well the Ravens rushed for 237 yards. Pretty easy to do the math. He ended up with quite a few tackles, but Purcell was getting pushed around pretty hard in the first half, and they were running right at him.

No disrespect to the beat writers, but the d-line looked like royal s**t. Just because certain guys flashed does not mean the run containment was sound as a whole. D-line is just like the O-line, in that you need all guys working in unison and taking care of their responsibilities. If one guy fails to do that, the whole unit suffers. The Ravens basically put their running game on cruise control and dominated the LOS.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Winner Josh Johnson

Loser Blaine Gabbert

Agree
Originally posted by fister30:

Dial's play against the 1s comes with the asterisk of playing next to a player with no experience playing football ever. Being completely frank -- 1 year of football 1 offseason, 3 preseason games and a year on IR with another offseason to finish off Okoye's first year in football still means he is a greener than a piece of asparagus. A lot of the Raven's great run plays went right the gap betwen Dial Okoye or bounced outside of Okoye.

I was referring to dial being moved back by single or double teams. He did step it up later in the game but in the beginning he was getting pushed off of the LOS. Okoye had little to do with that.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I would count Harbaugh among the losers.

Originally posted by buck:
I would count Harbaugh among the losers.

I assume you mean John
Share 49ersWebzone