LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Loser-J. Martin. Looked like Kwame
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Can we just cut Gabbert and use the money to extend Boone or is it a guaranteed contract?

agree!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CityKing415:

I agree, so far in my book - Kwami Harris 2.0
Just a couple thoughts outside the game...

1. Dobbs is going to have to out play Okoye and Purcell while proving to be worth 1.41 mil since we can cut him and have 0 dead money. Roster spots will be at a premium so we may only go 6 DL as well. McDonald, Williams, Smith, Carradine, Dial, TJE. Although his chances got a lot better with Dorsey being out since with Dorsey that makes 7 and 8 would be pushing it. With 7 there is a chance we keep Dobbs or Okoye. I think those guys are the better players but we could keep Purcell since we dont have as much NT depth as DE depth.

2. With the Gabbert trade it only cost us a 6th rounder but we got it back by trading down in the draft anyways. The pick isn't the big deal. I'm more concerned that we didn't restructure him right away and get him down from 2 mil. Although 2 mil isn't bad for a backup we could end up keeping him just to get something from him otherwise if we cut him we have 2 mil in dead money but create another roster spot.

3. Martin trade isn't a big deal if he makes the roster we give up a 7th. If he doesn't we can cut him and not give up a pick while saving 825k with 0 dead money. I'm thinking he gets cut but we don't have much for swing tackles behind him. Right now I think Snyder at 1.3 is a better deal than Martin at 825k. I wish we had the depth to cut Snyder and save 1.050 mil but we probably don't. I guess it depends if Boone comes back or not and if we want to make him the 3rd tackle and rotate the line if Staley or Davis would go down.

4. I think Borland is going to make one of our ST guys expendable. I don't think Costanzo has a shot at all and I could see one of Osgood/Ventrone/Dahl getting cut. I think I'd take Ventrone over Dahl but Dahl will have like a 300-800k cap hit not sure what it is now that he restructured. Ventrone can be cut and save 855k with 0 dead money.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Gabbert was awful. Couldn't even move the ball much. Maybe that had to do with the 1's not being outthere but still.

Hyde look really really good. His snaps weren't even with all the 1's. Imagine him with all the 1's (OL and WR's), he'll be really productive this season I think. I'm not at all concerned about a back up to Gore.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Gabbert was awful. Couldn't even move the ball much. Maybe that had to do with the 1's not being outthere but still.

Hyde look really really good. His snaps weren't even with all the 1's. Imagine him with all the 1's (OL and WR's), he'll be really productive this season I think. I'm not at all concerned about a back up to Gore.

Gabbert didn't play well. Gabbert made some really bad decisions. I am not trying to make excuses for gabbert or kap but I am not sure if the harbaugh/roman offense is a pass friendly offense or ever will be. Since harbaugh has been here the passing game has been average at best at times. There's been a couple of outlying game performances by crabs or boldin but for the most part the passing attack is meh.
Is Gabbert really that bad or is the 2nd unit just trash like last year?

I'm not so sure Colt was as terrible as we thought.

Gabbert with the 1s or Colin with the 2s? Hmmmm.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just a couple thoughts outside the game...

1. Dobbs is going to have to out play Okoye and Purcell while proving to be worth 1.41 mil since we can cut him and have 0 dead money. Roster spots will be at a premium so we may only go 6 DL as well. McDonald, Williams, Smith, Carradine, Dial, TJE. Although his chances got a lot better with Dorsey being out since with Dorsey that makes 7 and 8 would be pushing it. With 7 there is a chance we keep Dobbs or Okoye. I think those guys are the better players but we could keep Purcell since we dont have as much NT depth as DE depth.

2. With the Gabbert trade it only cost us a 6th rounder but we got it back by trading down in the draft anyways. The pick isn't the big deal. I'm more concerned that we didn't restructure him right away and get him down from 2 mil. Although 2 mil isn't bad for a backup we could end up keeping him just to get something from him otherwise if we cut him we have 2 mil in dead money but create another roster spot.

3. Martin trade isn't a big deal if he makes the roster we give up a 7th. If he doesn't we can cut him and not give up a pick while saving 825k with 0 dead money. I'm thinking he gets cut but we don't have much for swing tackles behind him. Right now I think Snyder at 1.3 is a better deal than Martin at 825k. I wish we had the depth to cut Snyder and save 1.050 mil but we probably don't. I guess it depends if Boone comes back or not and if we want to make him the 3rd tackle and rotate the line if Staley or Davis would go down.

4. I think Borland is going to make one of our ST guys expendable. I don't think Costanzo has a shot at all and I could see one of Osgood/Ventrone/Dahl getting cut. I think I'd take Ventrone over Dahl but Dahl will have like a 300-800k cap hit not sure what it is now that he restructured. Ventrone can be cut and save 855k with 0 dead money.

Great post.

Just my 2 cents:

1. I would like to keep okoye over dobbs and purcel. Okoye can be used in short yardage situations, he has shown the ability to move lineman into the backfield. Dobbs is a decent back up but his ceiling isn't that high. I agree that we probably keep Purcel because he has shown flashes that he can hold up at NT.

2. I would like to see more of gabbert and johnson. Both guys have earned roster spots on other teams in the past.

4. I think borland makes the team because of ST also. I hope osgood makes the cut, he makes an impact of ST as much and usually more so than ventrone and dahl.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CityKing415:

j. martin is the REAL captain torpedo.

Originally posted by fister30:
2. I would like to see more of gabbert and johnson. Both guys have earned roster spots on other teams in the past.
4. I think borland makes the team because of ST also. I hope osgood makes the cut, he makes an impact of ST as much and usually more so than ventrone and dahl.

Yeah I don't know if Bethel-Thompson is Harbaugh's project or what but I'd rather have seen Kory Faulkner. To me Harbaugh seems to be messing with these busts and projects too much. I'd rather he just drafted a QB in rounds 2 or 3 and develop him. Maybe his ego is saying I can fix these guys when it's best to probably just leave the Colt McCoy's and Gabbert's alone and just draft someone high and develop him. We are doing no good switching 2nd and 3rd string QB's every year (or every week in the 3rd spot's case). It's almost like he likes playing with his toys and then moving on and seeing what he can do with the next one. We need a long term backup who can play well. If it continues to go down like it did week 1 I hope we just keep Kap and Johnson but I could see us keeping Gabbert since we will have a 2 mil cap hit anyways. And yeah I'd like to see Johnson and Gabbert get most of the time in the next 3 games. We need to find out who is our #2 and if Gabbert is worth taking a roster spot up.

Borland won't only make it because of ST, he will make it because he is a solid backup LB as well. Either way he is a 3rd round pick so no way he gets cut. I feel he will be a solid to good backup LB and a ST star. Originally, I thought Borland could unseat Wilhoite but now maybe not due to Wilhoite's experience playing along side Willis. It's clear Moody and Skov are fighting for the last ILB spot if we keep 4 of them. Whoever makes it will likely be cut when Bowman is back anyways making it Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Borland.

Edit: Side note, I thought Colton Schmidt would win a job last year after how well he kicked in PS plus made a few tackles and showed nice speed. He impressed last night if Lee wasn't one of the best punters (although some drop off last few years) and signed through 2018 Schmidt might have a shot. Hopefully Schmidt finds a job out there; I know the Browns signed him after we cut him but was cut a few weeks later and didnt get a fair shot.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 8, 2014 at 5:55 AM ]

Yup. This is exactly what was going through my mind watching the game.
[ Edited by leebert81 on Aug 8, 2014 at 5:47 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Winners: Ravens

Losers: 49er Fans for panicking on the 1st Pre-Season game.

You just became my favorite poster.

of course this is the truth.for everything there is a beginning but sad to say, we still have people who can not see the forest through the trees and can not understand this is not a sprint but a marathon. i refuse to sort through the pages of this thread and perhaps a good idea for the mods is NO"T to have a game day thread till the last pre season game of the year. wow the romper room would be simply busting at the seams with no place to spray their sky is falling, JH sucks, we suck, first round pick here we come" blather
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Winners

Chris Cook
Bruce Ellington
Jimmie Ward
Carlos Hyde
Quinton Dial
Tank Carradine

Losers

Back up QB's
Back up O-lineman
Mike Purcell
Chris Borland
CJ Spiller
Daryl Morris

I agree with this. Pretty s**tty team performance but that's just preseason football in a nutshell. With all the undressed guys, we still have no real idea of the state of our starting units.

Agreed!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Winners: Ravens

Losers: 49er Fans for panicking on the 1st Pre-Season game.

You just became my favorite poster.

of course this is the truth.for everything there is a beginning but sad to say, we still have people who can not see the forest through the trees and can not understand this is not a sprint but a marathon. i refuse to sort through the pages of this thread and perhaps a good idea for the mods is NO"T to have a game day thread till the last pre season game of the year. wow the romper room would be simply busting at the seams with no place to spray their sky is falling, JH sucks, we suck, first round pick here we come" blather

This is so true. There is really only 2 and half quarters in the preseason thats worth even worrying about and that's in the third game dress rehearsal. Even in that case, it's still basically just a walk through. Injuries and over reaction is usually the only thing generated by preseason games.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM ]
patton better start showing up. crab boldin stevie Lloyd ellington. patton could be odd man out
Share 49ersWebzone