There are 260 users in the forums

Which player are you most eager to see in the preseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which player are you most eager to see in the preseason?

Tank and Dial, the future of the D-Line. Okoye to become Superman.
I'm really excited for Tank, but Fangio's comments got me nervous, especially since he's really honest about his answers.

"He's got a ways to go there yet. Like I've said, sitting in those meetings doesn't mean you've learned it and he's living proof of that. So he's got to do better from an assignment standpoint for us to feel comfortable to play him. Right now he's missing too many things mentally."

I'm looking forward to seeing Quinton Patton out there!
No Okoye?! I want to see Hyde, Tank, and Patton most.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Absolutely! But even if it's vanilla (no change for us), it will be fun to see if we start incorporating more "safe" plays (i.e. more designed passes to our RB's as primary targets, more check downs to a RB/FB and more safe passes to the TE's in the soft zone holes). All three areas where non-existent last year but could be HUGE for us going forward.

But overall, I agree...I can't wait to see not only the individual play, but are we going to see a glimpse of a scheme change defensively (i.e. single-high S with more press?).

I think there is a great opportunity for kaep to work on what you mentioned. I would tell kaep no running this preseason, it not worth the risk. Any movement should be scrambling to allude pressure, but even in this scenerio I would have him throw the ball away as soon as containment is broken. A 15 yard qb run in the preseason is not worth the exposure.
Any of the new guys in the defensive backfield! That's the area of greatest change and it is imperative for the team's success that Donatell gets them to play as a unit. I have really high hopes for this team if that happens...and anyone who bets against Donatell is nuts! LOL!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM ]
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Stevie Johnson
these are the things i'm looking for them to do:

Carlos Hyde - can he pick up the blitz

Tank Carradine - can he set the edge/rush passer?

Jimmie Ward - be around the ball

Quinton Patton - can he get off the line

Marcus Lattimore - anything

Bruce Ellington - explosiveness

Stevie Johnson - show me some route running skills i've been hearing about
Originally posted by Niners816:
Absolutely! But even if it's vanilla (no change for us), it will be fun to see if we start incorporating more "safe" plays (i.e. more designed passes to our RB's as primary targets, more check downs to a RB/FB and more safe passes to the TE's in the soft zone holes). All three areas where non-existent last year but could be HUGE for us going forward.

But overall, I agree...I can't wait to see not only the individual play, but are we going to see a glimpse of a scheme change defensively (i.e. single-high S with more press?).

I think there is a great opportunity for kaep to work on what you mentioned. I would tell kaep no running this preseason, it not worth the risk. Any movement should be scrambling to allude pressure, but even in this scenerio I would have him throw the ball away as soon as containment is broken. A 15 yard qb run in the preseason is not worth the exposure.

1000000% agree! Forcing him to scramble while looking deep and then short will help his vision as well.
Lattimore for me. I think Hyde is a good player, but he wasn't in Lattimore's league pre-injury. If Lattimore returns to his college form, I don't think it will be a question who the starting RB will be after Gore retires.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
these are the things i'm looking for them to do:

Carlos Hyde - can he pick up the blitz

Tank Carradine - can he set the edge/rush passer?

Jimmie Ward - be around the ball

Quinton Patton - can he get off the line

Marcus Lattimore - anything

Bruce Ellington - explosiveness

Stevie Johnson - show me some route running skills i've been hearing about

ALL THIS!!

Gire
its tank for me. just want to see if he jumps off the screen at you at all
Originally posted by Niners816:
Great post....I'm an offense guy at heart, but schemewise I think this preseason will be very barebones showing little if any schematic changes. My feeling is any offensive changes will be unleashed in the regular season to keep them off of film as long as possible. Therefore this preseason in my eyes is all about the defense. Can't wait to see how the new guys fit in.

Just seeing that made me realize the Niners hardly ever just run a basic route to sit in a zone for like 4/5 yards. Especially on a 1st donw to start the dirves off wiht something positive. Instead of Gore up the gut.
I know that Lattimore has been practicing, but has he been in on the 7-on-7 or 11-on11 drills? I wonder if he'll get any playing time at all with the way they've been protecting him.
Out of this list, top five would include: Patton, Ellington, Borland, Morris, and Lattimore. Honorable mention to Dial.

Okoye is not on the list, but I'm really interested in seeing his progress.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone