LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DENVER BRONCOS GAMEDAY THREAD (PS, Game 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Yeah he's looked damn good. Seems like Patriots have someone Brady can help develop to take over when he splits.

However, we weren't looking for a backup QB that early and we had no idea Gabby was gonna be that awful. David Fales was sitting there in the 5th... I am glad that we got Lynch tho

Well, my rationale of taking Garoppolo was to find a legit option who can compete with Kap before we are 100% sure we should give him that huge contract. While Kap is super athletic, there are also a fair number of question marks about his game, all you have to do is look at the threads when we didn't have a passing game last season. I keep going back to the same 3 points of concern : 1) lack of progression reads, 2) lack of accuracy on touch passes especially his high fades and 3) poor decision-making. To be honest, even we have now given Kap his contract I am still not convinced he will be the one who will take us to promiselend. Yes, he might have taken us to the Super Bowl and a Conference Championship, it was also Kap who couldn't make the play for the final 5 yards in the Super Bowl and committed 5 turnovers in the 4th quarter against Seattle in last year's Conference Championship game. I can only hope and pray that he will be able to take his game to the next level and win us a championship.
No one looks good when you are defeated by 54 points in two games. But FO and coaching staff seem unconcerned. We have made no move to shore up NT, and 20% of our offensive line is still in Bermuda. We also need a real solution at guard now, to build some cohesion.

SIgn or trade Boone in the next week.
The point is back up QBs and drafting QBs is a crap shoot. You don't know what your going to get. In today's NFL if you have a good young QB that your paying lots of money too back up isn't a need position. That's the economics of the NFL. Why would the Niners who like to think two years ahead draft a QB early at their draft position? Some of you just don't understand that. The argument of winning a couple of games if Kap goes down is valid. BUT that's why they traded for Gabbert and they may have missed. It's a crap shoot.

Some of you though say they should have drafted a QB early. Really??? That's your argument??? Draft a rookie and hope he's good enough if Kap goes down to win you a couple games. As a rookie??? That's sounds pretty dumb to me. You don't draft a player with the idea he may need to play a game or two IF Kap got hurt. Now if Kap had an injury history different story but he doesn't. If your worried about a game or two then you go after a vet which is what they did in Gabbert. He might not be the right player but they had the right idea. The Pats draft a QB every year because Brady is old.

So again let's worry about the back up players who are assured of seeing the field MLB, NT and I would say OLB because we have seen little pressure from the outside and without Aldon where will consistent pressure come from? It seems though this thread is worried about back up QB for this year and WR for next year??? Really what about the positions that our depth is a little questionable at this year you know the year we are in.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well, my rationale of taking Garoppolo was to find a legit option who can compete with Kap before we are 100% sure we should give him that huge contract. While Kap is super athletic, there are also a fair number of question marks about his game, all you have to do is look at the threads when we didn't have a passing game last season. I keep going back to the same 3 points of concern : 1) lack of progression reads, 2) lack of accuracy on touch passes especially his high fades and 3) poor decision-making. To be honest, even we have now given Kap his contract I am still not convinced he will be the one who will take us to promiselend. Yes, he might have taken us to the Super Bowl and a Conference Championship, it was also Kap who couldn't make the play for the final 5 yards in the Super Bowl and committed 5 turnovers in the 4th quarter against Seattle in last year's Conference Championship game. I can only hope and pray that he will be able to take his game to the next level and win us a championship.

Sigh.... that's the QB position for the San Francisco 49ers for you. You not only have to get your team to the Super Bowl; you have to win it before some fans will even accept that you're good enough to be the team's leader under center.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I found a loophole! I can post in here!

Wait let me make it 49ers related. Gabbert isn't the answer at backup. Once Hoyer is released we should grab him
[ Edited by ApatheticIAm on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

Wait let me make it 49ers related. Gabbert is a fleshlight. Once Hoyer is released we should grab him

wtf
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

Wait let me make it 49ers related. Gabbert isn't the answer at backup. Once Hoyer is released we should grab him

Hoyer would be amazing, unfortunately he will start this year for the Brownies lol
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Hoyer would be amazing, unfortunately he will start this year for the Brownies lol

Shaw is the guy we want anyway
Share 49ersWebzone