LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Is this "Our Year"?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is this "Our Year"?

I'm surprisingly optimistic about this year.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
1994: Niners played the NFC-E and AFC-W 2014: Niners play the NFC-E and AFC-W BEWWWWWM.

oh yeah, facing the Chiefs & a former QB both instances...
I don't know if it's going to be "our year", but Kap definitely takes the next step this year. Especially when so many failed to attribute his average to below-average play to not having a decent set of receivers. Kap-to-Crabs is going to blow a lot of people away.

And if that's enough to over up the huge hole that'll be left by an aging Cowboy, injured Bowman, and suspended Aldon then yes.
We easily could have won the last three Super Bowls but it was always a lack of quality depth that killed us. In 2011, Ginn's injury killed us because of the lack of quality depth at KR. Kyle Williams was a headcase. In 2012, lack of depth in the front 7 exposed the secondary which feasted on the four man rush pressuring the QB. With both Smith brothers injured we couldn't generate pressure and there were no suitable backups that could spell them and be effective. Scoring 34 points will win most Super Bowls. Allowing 30+ points will lose most Super Bowls.

In 2013 the lack of depth at WR killed us with two quality targets being out of commission for most of the season. We lost two close games last year. If we had a healthy Crabtree or another healthy quality receiver we would have won both games and the NFCCG would have gone through the stick where the Hawks can't beat us.

In 2014 that's been solved. We are deep at every position that matters. That's a recipe not only for more wins, but a recipe for dominance.
I believe with the additions of Chris Borland, Jimmy Ward and Tank, a healthy Cowboy, a more experienced Lemioner, E. Reid and Q. Dial, a healthy Culliver and the return of Navarro Bowman at mid season not to mention Aldon Smith, put together with the rest of our talented D this gives us our best D since Jim Harbaugh has been here. Obviously a deeper WR core and RB stable we are set up if we avoid injury for another championship run.
1994: Niners played the NFC-E and AFC-W 2014: Niners play the NFC-E and AFC-W BEWWWWWM.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Yup yup... nuff said

I look at those kind of patterns too, despite realignment in 2002 making it difficult with Central being replaced by North/South

Yeah, this is what I've been saying! -I think one of the Matts even reported that this will be the first time we've had all these teams on (the same) schedule SINCE 1994!

Raiders
Chiefs
Rams
Saints
Eagles
Lions
Falcons
Bucs
Skins
Cowboys
Rams
Saints
Falcons
Chargers
Broncos
Vikings

Cowboys
Bears
Cardinals
Eagles
Chiefs
Rams
Broncos
Rams
Saints
Giants
Skins
Hawks
Raiders
Hawks
Chargers
Cards

We also face the Rams back-to-back with NO again (like in 1994), that gave me chills in the first place.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:23 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Yeah, this is what I've been saying! -I think one of the Matts even reported that this will be the first time we've had all these teams on (the same) schedule SINCE 1994!

Raiders
Chiefs
Rams
Saints
Eagles
Lions
Falcons
Bucs
Skins
Cowboys
Rams
Saints
Falcons
Chargers
Broncos
Vikings

Cowboys
Bears
Cardinals
Eagles
Chiefs
Rams
Broncos
Rams
Saints
Giants
Skins
Hawks
Raiders
Hawks
Chargers
Cards

We also face the Rams back-to-back with NO again (like in 1994), that gave me chills in the first place.

Cawks/Lambs/Tards might as well just fold... why risk the injuries

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I don't know if it's going to be "our year", but Kap definitely takes the next step this year. Especially when so many failed to attribute his average to below-average play to not having a decent set of receivers. Kap-to-Crabs is going to blow a lot of people away.

And if that's enough to over up the huge hole that'll be left by an aging Cowboy, injured Bowman, and suspended Aldon then yes.

What "average to below average play" are you talking about? Which games?
I think the offense will be a step up but the defense will be a step back. I still see a 12-4/11-5 team barring anymore catastrophic injuries to mainline players.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

What "average to below average play" are you talking about? Which games?

Most of the games through the first half of the season, when he only had Boldin to throw to on a consistent basis.
Heath Evans says no
This last NFCC game took a lot of wind out of my sails, i have thought about how hard it is to keep getting back, injuries, etc etc. We have made it to the doorstep of a ring though with the same thing we are going into this season with, great players, masking our deficiencies, and playing ball control tight Defensive games. So i really think we can be knocking on the door again, especially with a hopefully bolstered passing O we haven't had, but it still takes some good bounces your way. Aldon jumps offsides and doesn't rush Russel on his TD throw to whats his name, Kap makes a few weird turnovers before the ultimate tipped ball, etc. I am just praying for those little fluke things to go our way, we BEEN HAD the right team, just need the stars to align.

So i have tempered my expectations, Andy Reid went to 3 straight NFCC and then the 4th year went to the big game and lost, but they broke through in the 4th year of where they previously fell short. Im hoping Harbaugh can lead this group of guys to the door again, and they will break it down without leaving a doubt. The seahawks pretty much steamrolled a lot of teams later in the year except for us, i want us to steamroll even if we struggle in season, i would love for the playoffs to never really be in doubt, hard to do now a days, but this last couple years put my young heart through some stress tests for sure, and knowing how hard it is now a days to stay at such a high level im just hoping for a good season and wait and see attitude, while fully knowing we have the right pieces to win it all.
Share 49ersWebzone