There are 155 users in the forums

I'm telling you........they are going to keep Lloyd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
no doubt.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Lloyd is actually the 3rd or 4th WR in this offense depending on the situation. His hands are probably the best on the team. That has to put him ahead of both Patton and Johnson.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
He makes it no doubt and makes an impact in some games. I won't even be surprised if he catches a game winner at some point.
Didn't Marlon Moore look good in camp last year as well? Harbs was gushing about him.
Originally posted by kray28:
Lloyd is actually the 3rd or 4th WR in this offense depending on the situation. His hands are probably the best on the team. That has to put him ahead of both Patton and Johnson.

Yep I agree he is and it does.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Redemption is a powerful motivator.
I watched a replay of the game we played in NE two years ago. Lloyd could not be covered. Kap will go to him over and over again.
While I understand Lloyd is having a great camp so far, I'm not a huge supporter of him making the 53. It isn't really because I doubt him as a player (he would actually give the Niners 4 receivers who have had 1,000 yard seasons), it's more that I worry it could potentially hamper the development of some of the younger players. Boldin won't be around too much longer, and Crabs may be on his way out as well. That means the Niners need guys like Quinton Patton and Bruce Ellington to make strides in their game, and the only real way to do that is to get reps.

Lloyd is 33 years old (same age as Boldin), which is damn near ancient in the NFL. Even if he has a great season, the odds of him repeating on the long run are slim. The Niners already have 3 crafty route runners in Boldin, Crabtree and Johnson and the young guys have plenty to learn from them. If the Niners keep 6 receivers, I think I'm ok with Lloyd making the roster. But if they're only running with 5 receivers, I'd rather see Patton and Ellington taking the last two spots. Patton has shown flashes that he can be a good receiver and Ellington has a lot of hype at the moment.

Let's all keep in mind the Niners aren't going to be drafting in a top position for quite some time. They need to be able to keep and develop a solid wide receiver corps. I don't think ditching young talent now for a 33 year old guy who might have a good season is the way to approach this.
Harbaugh has talked Lloyd up since he was signed, and I don't think (at this point) it's a lot of smoke blowing up anybody's ass. Jim seems to have a knack/thing for (bargain) veteran receivers (Moss, Boldin), which in the end become highly productive contributors/teachers to the nucleus of the WR core. They also seem to flourish well within the system, and develop a good rapport with Kap (through film studies, tight communication, and on-field performance).

Lloyd will make the team, as will another bargain vet next year (who probably replaces him). I think lots of beat writers have a good grip on us keeping only two QBs, and possibly 6 WRs for the final 53. This team has so much depth, it's awesome.
I think he does have a decent shot at making the roster. But I dont think he will dress for games.

Share 49ersWebzone