LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

The 2014 Practice Recap Thread "Third And Final Practice At Levi´s Online."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
@grantcohn Colin Kaepernick. Attempted just 13 passes during team drills, but completed 10 including three touchdown passes: one to Anquan Boldin, one Stevie Johnson and one to Vance McDonald. Kaepernick's first incomplete pass was intended for Bruce Ellington in the back right corner of the end zone during a red zone drill and Dontae Johnson broke up that pass easily. Kaepernick's second incompletion was a miscommunication with Stevie Johnson – Johnson broke off his route, but Kaepernick threw deep because he expected Johnson to keep running. Kaepernick's third incomplete pass was intended for Vance McDonald. He dropped it.

Very excited to hear the bolded. This means option routes are being used. I feel that this is a must for any dynamic passing attack. I also feel that this is the best way to utilize Stevie Johnson. Allow him to read coverage/leverage and have him run what he thinks is the best possible route to get open. In the play above, it appears SJ curled his route while Kap thought he was going to run a vertical route. In the past, Harbaugh had stated that he removed sight adjustments to lessen the risk of turnovers. That's all well and good, but eventually, a passing attack that adapts to the coverage being played is the best way to get a WR open. This is the second time a TC report has mentioned Kap and a WR not being on the same page, but that's why they practice.

Great news...also heard CK talk about how easy it was to read the "body language" of guys like Lloyd and SJ as well. That may be in line as well.

And it sounds like they absolutely "cleaned out the garage" with terminology and as a result, there has only been a handful of incorrect routes run, making it much easier to pick up for guys like SJ and rookies like Ellington and it's helped speed up the communication process as well. I posted yesterday on some of the offensive positives we're already seeing such as using Ellington out of the backfield and on deeper routes, lots of "seam routes" with the TE's, much more 3 & 4-WR sets, clearly incorporating the RB's into the passing game, utilizing Carrier and continually feeding McDonald (lots of drops but lots of big plays and TD's too), Patton shining, working on CK's mechanics and esp. his touch passes to RB's (Whitfield had him practicing on one knee), CK being called a "coach on the field," hearing that the entire offense has been installed, etc.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So will the sky be falling if the 49ers lose in Baltimore tomorrow? (:
Originally posted by fryet:

It's the WZ --- will be tearing down and burning the entire organization if so...
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

As long as we come out of the game with zero major injuries I could not care less !
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:

As long as we come out of the game with zero major injuries I could not care less !

That is my thinking too. Of course, you always want the first team to do well. My suspicion, though, is that 2nd and 3rd team of 49ers is going to dominate. I am not sure about 3rd team QB, but Gabbert should score us some points, and our defense should be solid even at 3rd team.

The sky will be falling even if we win. Our backup OL will be sh*t, or we'll have no return game, or Dial won't be acceptable at NT, etc.
Originally posted by Overkill:

The sky will be falling even if we win. Our backup OL will be sh*t, or we'll have no return game, or Dial won't be acceptable at NT, etc.

... Or we won't have any apparent issues and the narrative will be that Baltimore sucks and we'd suck against anyone else...

But let's keep this thread on track. DeUh is doing a great job, let's talk out the Baltimore game or TC in general in their respective threads.

I agree, and Weird Al thanks you for correct use of that phrase.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
f**king Vance.

Berman, "All he does is catch Touchdowns...and drop passes."

But he has long arms...isn't that the reason for drafting this guy...

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

I agree, and Weird Al thanks you for correct use of that phrase.

Lol.
Day 11 Recap

@grantcohn Vance McDonald. The tight ends spent ten minutes at the beginning of practice catching footballs spun out of a JUGS machine. McDonald stood ten yards away from it and didn't drop a single ball. And during team drills he dropped only one – an improvement for him. McDonald also made the catch of the day, a one-handed over-the-shoulder touchdown catch on a pass thrown by Kaepernick

VD needs to take McDonald after practice to use the JUGS machine. If this guy can catch on a consistent basis the 49ers offense could really take off
Originally posted by Hitman49:
f**king Vance.

He replaced a guy who couldnt catch either.

We gonna burn this sum a b***h down!!!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by Hitman49:
f**king Vance.

He replaced a guy who couldnt catch either.

Yeah but that guy was a mismatch nightmare for D...and he could play ST...this guys hasn't shown he is deserving of a 2 round pick....
Share 49ersWebzone