LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The 2014 Practice Recap Thread "Third And Final Practice At Levi´s Online."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
The DB's playing well, who do we cut, who do we keep??? Good place to be given the change out and I think our seconday is going to surprise a lot of people who don't follow the Niners. Tank and Dial are looking excellent too which is even better news in that we need to be able to rest RayMac and Cowboy more. I also love that Dial has a bit of a nasty streak.

I have a really good feeling about the defense at the moment, albeit it's just pre-season training camp but these guys are going up against experience 1st team pro's and winning battles.
Aldon Smith. "Unstoppable". Wow!
Tank, Dial and Aldon are going to tear this league up this year
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
What has been most surprising about this training camp so far?
The play of the secondary. Even with a bolstered receiving corps, defensive backs have not only kept up, they've excelled. A day after cornerback Chris Cook intercepted a pass, fellow veteran corner Perrish Cox intercepted two passes including a one-handed, over-the-shoulder pick of a Colin Kaepernick throw intended deep down the field for Anquan Boldin.

Additionally, speedster Darryl Morris knocked away four passes on Wednesday including two aimed at Boldin.

Also on defense, the line has excelled, specifically second-year players Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine have been beastly.

Another consistent factor in training camp is the play of backup quarterback Blaine Gabbert. A year ago, Colt McCoy looked completely lost and his seemingly lack of knowledge caused him to race around in a panic. Gabbert is exceedingly cool by contrast; he picks out open receivers with ease and then hits them with wind-piercing throws. He looks like the real deal.

Rookie receiver Bruce Ellington also looks like he could be something special, not only as a receiver but possibly as a returner. Ellington, Quinton Patton, Devan Wylie and Perrish Cox have been practicing punts and kickoffs with the absence of LaMichael James.

But so far, the player who has been the most impressive is likely Aldon Smith. In the off-season, he has been a nearly daily presence at the team's facility and the work has paid off
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/07/31/49ers-training-camp-who-is-impressing/
^^^ What has been most surprising about this training camp so far? The play of the secondary.

Not to me! But on a more serious note, how many fans in here thought we'd be better off in the secondary vs. the RB position? Wow...damn injuries!

Right now it seems like all of the reports are very consistent from the beat writers and through 7 days of practice and TC it seems like we are hearing great reports from the following (arguably, in this order):
1. Secondary. Ward and Morris are balling out in the slot and Cox is now playing the slot, outside and returning kicks. Then on the outside, Brock and Culliver have already locked down their spots and are taking time off to get to get the 2nd string in there in Cook & Johnson. And both have been playing very well and Cook has worked hard on his tracking abilities high-pointing 1 INT and tipping another for an INT. Johnson sounds like a major keeper already and even Acker is making plays as well. Reaser will be intriguing next year. Bethea and Reid already seem like the perfect marriage and we've heard nice reports about L.J. McCray as well. Overall, this unit has stepped up big time and seems to be getting better and better with each practice.
2. Defensive Line. We already knew this unit would be a strength. Even the Big Brit has shown tremendous strides from last year and getting coached up by Staley, Tomsula, Justin and RayMac. And Williams hasn't even taken a snap. Dial and Carradine have been getting almost all of the press...they are hungry no doubt.
3. Wide Receivers. Lloyd is already looking like the #4 and may even be pushing Johnson at the #3 which means Patton and Ellington are set at #5 & #6 and taking punt returns now too.
4. Backup QB. Blaine. Enough said.
5. Center/Right Guard. Kilgore has already been noted as being much more athletic and Looney is finally getting his shot and shinning. I'm not surprised at all.
6. Backup Running Back. Hyde. Enough said. But don't sleep on a healthier Lattimore and Hampton at all as change-of-pace backs. Hampton is ready for this.
7. Backup TE's. McDonald seems to have made huge strides in the passing game and Carrier is going to be an epic H-back.

Still need to find:
1. A Dynamic Kick-off and Punt Returner X2
2. Swing Tackle
3. FB. Have we heard anything about Miller?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:06 AM ]
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I'm going to assume that no news = good news for the fullback
^^^ Yes!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Is Dial a 3-4 DE?

Yes and NT as well.

He's more of a run stuffer though? Can he get to the QB?

THAT I don't know...maybe others do...but right now, yeah, in our 3-4, it's all about sealing edges, clogging lanes, pushing the pocket upfield, discipline, depth, rotation, etc.

At Alabama Dial had one and one 1/2 sacks in two years (2011/12), so he isn't a pass rush demon. He was more a complementary player to Williams, Square and Stinson. He played mostly DE but also subbed at NT. Seems to me he's one of those all-around guys who does nothing special but everything competently.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
^^^ What has been most surprising about this training camp so far? The play of the secondary.

Not to me! But on a more serious note, how many fans in here thought we'd be better off in the secondary vs. the RB position? Wow...damn injuries!

Right now it seems like all of the reports are very consistent from the beat writers and through 7 days of practice and TC it seems like we are hearing great reports from the following (arguably, in this order):
1. Secondary. Ward and Morris are balling out in the slot and Cox is now playing the slot, outside and returning kicks. Then on the outside, Brock and Culliver have already locked down their spots and are taking time off to get to get the 2nd string in there in Cook & Johnson. And both have been playing very well and Cook has worked hard on his tracking abilities high-pointing 1 INT and tipping another for an INT. Johnson sounds like a major keeper already and even Acker is making plays as well. Reaser will be intriguing next year. Bethea and Reid already seem like the perfect marriage and we've heard nice reports about L.J. McCray as well. Overall, this unit has stepped up big time and seems to be getting better and better with each practice.
2. Defensive Line. We already knew this unit would be a strength. Even the Big Brit has shown tremendous strides from last year and getting coached up by Staley, Tomsula, Justin and RayMac. And Williams hasn't even taken a snap. Dial and Carradine have been getting almost all of the press...they are hungry no doubt.
3. Wide Receivers. Lloyd is already looking like the #4 and may even be pushing Johnson at the #3 which means Patton and Ellington are set at #5 & #6 and taking punt returns now too.
4. Backup QB. Blaine. Enough said.
5. Center/Right Guard. Kilgore has already been noted as being much more athletic and Looney is finally getting his shot and shinning. I'm not surprised at all.
6. Backup Running Back. Hyde. Enough said. But don't sleep on a healthier Lattimore and Hampton at all as change-of-pace backs. Hampton is ready for this.
7. Backup TE's. McDonald seems to have made huge strides in the passing game and Carrier is going to be an epic H-back.

Still need to find:
1. A Dynamic Kick-off and Punt Returner X2
2. Swing Tackle
3. FB. Have we heard anything about Miller?

It's going to be tough to keep vetrone and osgood. I think Ian is going to stay at the pup, if Lloyd looks good in pre-season he might indeed make the team, and we might not need good field position all the time if our offense can move with Lloyd's production. The cutdown to the 53 man squad is going to be a nightmare for the front office.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Thanks again for the recap.

Anyone miss the days of incessantly fighting over the practice stats of Smith vs Hill? Didn't think so...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Tramaine Brock
Chris Culliver
Perrish Cox
Jimmie Ward
Darryl Morris
Dontae Johnson
Chris Cook

9ers could actually keep all of them and save for one Safety spot due to Ward knowing both positions. I for one would be confident in this group of CB's heading to Dallas. I'm rooting for Chris Cook, I hope he's found his home in San Francisco.
Ditto thanks for recap...sure helps when you can't see anything yourself. By far and away the biggest question mark and the most necessary ramp up in improvement had to be the secondary. This news is so welcome I can't believe it. I had hoped, but you never know til they get on the field. Better yet, sounds like we may even have rotation players that are really doing well. Top that off with at least 2 guys playing slot, and bingo, we just jumped over the bar of a secondary that wasn't dependable. Still early but the reports are truly exciting.

As the secondary goes, so goes the SB trophy this yr. This was what we needed, and so far, it sounds like it isn't only really good, better yet , it is deep. THAT is great news.

On the Lloyd front, hey, if he outplays #4 and 5, and by a substantial margin, sure, he makes it. Still, like Joe Bart said above, if talent is equal, you go with the guys who have their careers ahead of them, and not in the rear view mirror. What has been interesting, is the seeming maturity shown by Lloyd...also a crafty vet who is money on 3rd downs...a lot can be said for that. Still, this or next yr is probably his last, so all things being equal, you go with youth.

As for the 53, we are going to make a lot of teams happy with our cuts, probably sending a dozen, maybe 20 to start elsewhere. Bad thing to happen...to cut really good players, but think of what we have left. Wow!. Now matter how you slice it, once again, GM of the yr has to be Trent.

The unmentioned "thing"...still remains romn. What will he do. Sounds like kap is throwing to everybody (finally) and connecting on most. Is that the romn we see once season starts...or do we revert to the old romn? Next to DBs which are really great news, how will romn do. If he does really well, he gets the "a" back in his name... If not, bring on the Reaper.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM ]
^^^ That's what I have also.

CB (7)
Tramaine Brock (#1)
Chris Culliver (#2)
Jimmie Ward (#3 Nickle/Dime/Slot/FS)
Perrish Cox (#4 Nickle/Dime/ST)(Backs up Brock)
Chris Cook (#5 Nickle/Dime)(Backs up Culliver)
Darryl Morris (#1 Slot/ST)
Dontae Johnson (Backs up both Brock/Culliver)

Rationale: Eric Wright retiring hurts the depth/experience here but he was barely being mentioned anyhow. The good news is we're getting younger, faster, taller, more athletic and certainly more aggressive/physical. We carried 10 DB's in the NFCCG. Here, we carry 11 total d/t the growth of Johnson and Baalke learning from letting Cooper go last year to the Chiefs. Baalke/Donatell/Fangio appear to want to play much more press with a single-high safety (Reid) and keep Bethea in and around the box in run support. We can expect both press and off-coverage with Brock and Culliver while being backed up by Cook and Johnson (best in press right now). Morris pushes Ward hard for the slot-role but also stays on as a ST gunner ace. Cox makes the team as a slot and outside CB and as our #2 returner on kick offs next to James/Ellington.

S (4)
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
CJ Spillman
Raymond Ventrone

Rationale: No surprises here. The outside shot here is L.J. McCray or D.J. Campbell d/t their P/KR abilities. McCray can also play the nickle ala Ward. He has the license to beat out either Spillman or Ventrone who are top-notch ST (only) players. Dahl should be cut as he's a solid ST player and below-average backup S and counts $1,283,333 against the cap.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ditto thanks for recap...sure helps when you can't see anything yourself. By far and away the biggest question mark and the most necessary ramp up in improvement had to be the secondary. This news is so welcome I can't believe it. I had hoped, but you never know til they get on the field. Better yet, sounds like we may even have rotation players that are really doing well. Top that off with at least 2 guys playing slot, and bingo, we just jumped over the bar of a secondary that wasn't dependable. Still early but the reports are truly exciting.

As the secondary goes, so goes the SB trophy this yr. This was what we needed, and so far, it sounds like it isn't only really good, better yet , it is deep. THAT is great news.

On the Lloyd front, hey, if he outplays #4 and 5, and by a substantial margin, sure, he makes it. Still, like Joe Bart said above, if talent is equal, you go with the guys who have their careers ahead of them, and not in the rear view mirror. What has been interesting, is the seeming maturity shown by Lloyd...also a crafty vet who is money on 3rd downs...a lot can be said for that. Still, this or next yr is probably his last, so all things being equal, you go with youth.

As for the 53, we are going to make a lot of teams happy with our cuts, probably sending a dozen, maybe 20 to start elsewhere. Bad thing to happen...to cut really good players, but think of what we have left. Wow!. Now matter how you slice it, once again, GM of the yr has to be Trent.

The unmentioned "thing"...still remains romn. What will he do. Sounds like kap is throwing to everybody (finally) and connecting on most. Is that the romn we see once season starts...or do we revert to the old romn? Next to DBs which are really great news, how will romn do. If he does really well, he gets the "a" back in his name... If not, bring on the Reaper.

20 to start else where.....me thinks you had to much optimism writing that one. I would be surprised if any of our cuts start else where except for maybe some injury situation.
Share 49ersWebzone